Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2010, 13:27   #1501
BHPian

I don't know if this is the right thread, but here goes anyway: Is there any way I can load India maps on my TomTom gps I bought in the US?
Old 25th November 2010, 14:54   #1502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
I bought maps in September and got August 2010 version.
I believe there is a lag of a month for whatever reasons. I purchased my maps in May 2010 and gor the April version. Am upgrading my maps today (for INR 499) and will let you know the version I end up with.

Last edited by cool_dube : 25th November 2010 at 14:55.
Old 25th November 2010, 15:21   #1503
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
I believe there is a lag of a month for whatever reasons. I purchased my maps in May 2010 and gor the April version. Am upgrading my maps today (for INR 499) and will let you know the version I end up with.
I used to think that maps are updated every quarter. Now here's what I'm curious about. Are the maps updated every month? If so, then is there some place where we can get the changes that's gone in from previous map version to current map version?
I've seen only the number of cities covered and POIs going up. Now what about existing cities? Newer roads might come up. Corrections on wrong depictions of roads might come up.
Anyway, I've not upgraded my maps since last 5 or 6 months. Thought I'll do it after a year.
Old 25th November 2010, 15:42   #1504
Senior - BHPian

Existing cities keep getting updates too. E.g. Sea Link Bridge is now on all major maps. New roads that are created in my locality in Bombay have been updated on Google / Satguide.

Would be cool to see some kind of "Release Notes" with maps to see what have been updated.

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 25th November 2010 at 15:44.
Old 25th November 2010, 17:08   #1505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Are the maps updated every month?
Apparently not - I stand corrected. I talked to SatGuide and they said that they do not have a hard and fast release window and do it 2-4 times a year depending on the quantum of changes coming in. When you place an order (new maps or upgrade) you get the last released version. As per them, the only update available after the April 2010 release is the August 2010 one (which NetfreakBombay got).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Now what about existing cities?
I thought that goes without saying. What is the point of adding more information if the existing information is outdated!!

Quote:
Would be cool to see some kind of "Release Notes" with maps to see what have been updated.
I agree - this should go as a feedback to SatGuide.

Edit: Just got to know from SatGuide that the next version would be available towards end of December 2010. I have postponed my upgrade plans till then.

Last edited by cool_dube : 25th November 2010 at 17:21.
Old 25th November 2010, 18:09   #1506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Edit: Just got to know from SatGuide that the next version would be available towards end of December 2010. I have postponed my upgrade plans till then.
Thanks for the info.

Navteq's new Garmin and OVI maps should be out in Jan 2011 as well. Hope Navteq catches up with Satguide / MMI in terms of Number of cities in that release.
Old 26th November 2010, 09:58   #1507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavu75 View Post
Here is the details to get the upgrade.
MapmyIndia Navigator Map Upgrades For GPS Devices In India | GPS Navigation

And how to upgrade, see one old link
Upgrade process in MapmyIndia : GPS Navigation in India | Portable Navigation Device (PND) with India's best maps

Now they are charging Rs 990 for a single update plan. Not sure is it worth going for that.
+
Was Just checking this thread to get some idea about upgradation of map.

I have MMI vx140 with map version 4.0.
I have bought the upgrade map version of 5.0 last week, but not yet loaded same into the mmi device. MMI instruction was just to download the link, extract it and then copy it to the device. But not given any method or step by step instruction to do map loading. same case in the licence file.

I have downloaded the link and copied same in my pc.
I have connected the usb cable from mmi device to my pc. but am confused after this i.e what command it require to copy the file to the device through the usb cable?
(I have tried to copy the file through card reader, but it is not copying and mmi still have the old version. When approached MMI for help/send tutorial of map loading, they simply ask me to courier the Device to delhi which I am not happy).

Any one of you have done this upgradation recently and what are the proceedure to do same?
Old 26th November 2010, 10:49   #1508
Senior - BHPian

When you connect MMI device to PC, does it show up as additional drive in "My Computer"?
Old 26th November 2010, 12:02   #1509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When you connect MMI device to PC, does it show up as additional drive in "My Computer"?
+
when I connect the mmi device to my pc, first appears the Microsoft activesync window which will show that 'files synchronised''

clicking on 'my computer' I get a drive named 'mobile device system manager'. Under this, mapmyindia window is there and upon clicking this I can see all the files downloaded from the link given by MMI.
Old 26th November 2010, 12:12   #1510
Senior - BHPian

Okay, you need to copy files that you received from MMI into this mapmyindia window.
Old 26th November 2010, 12:28   #1511
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Okay, you need to copy files that you received from MMI into this mapmyindia window.
in this MMi window(folder)all the files are already there. Only confusion is how to load into my device....
When I right click on the mmi folder,, I get following:

-open
-explore
-search
-sharing and security
-winzip >
-send to >
-cut
-copy
-create short cut
-delete
-rename
-properties.

when I select 'send to >', I get:

=Compressed (zipped) folder
=desktop
=Mail reciepient
=my documents
=record now
=windows CE my document
=dd/cd-rw drive(d)

(incase I remove the sd card from the mmi device and fix it in a card reader and insert into the usb port, then I get one more option like
=kingston (E)
(I already tried to send the mmi file through card reader to Kingston E which has got the SD card, but it seems not copying)??
Old 26th November 2010, 12:35   #1512
Senior - BHPian

Do you see "Edit->Paste" option on this window?
Old 26th November 2010, 12:45   #1513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you see "Edit->Paste" option on this window?
+
No, am not getting edit > paste'' option?
Old 26th November 2010, 14:19   #1514
Senior - BHPian

1. Open the Activesync UI
2. From the Tools menu, select "Explore Pocket PC" (should be enabled when your device is connected). This will open an Explorer window showing the contents of your device
3. First, backup the map files from your device to your PC (copy the entire folder) somewhere
4. You should know where in the MMI directory are the map files. If MMI download created a directory that includes new executables and other files, then it is a rather simple matter of copying the whole directory to the device, in the process overwriting all the older files. BUT, this will create a problem that it will overwrite whatever PoIs and locations that you might have saved
5. To be doubly sure, check the date/time of the individual files. All the files that saved your saved content will be dated to your journey dates. The older files in the device (MMI directory) will have a date in the past, all the newer files in your download have a date later than your saved files! Be sure to backup your saved files to a known location, so that you can retrieve if in trouble
6. From your PC, copy the files that you need to put on your device (Ctrl-C ) and paste (Ctrl-V) them into the MMI folder in your device
7. Disconnect and restart your device
Old 26th November 2010, 15:19   #1515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
1. Open the Activesync UI
2. From the Tools menu, select "Explore Pocket PC" (should be enabled when your device is connected). This will open an Explorer window showing the contents of your device
3. First, backup the map files from your device to your PC (copy the entire folder) somewhere
4. You should know where in the MMI directory are the map files. If MMI download created a directory that includes new executables and other files, then it is a rather simple matter of copying the whole directory to the device, in the process overwriting all the older files. BUT, this will create a problem that it will overwrite whatever PoIs and locations that you might have saved
5. To be doubly sure, check the date/time of the individual files. All the files that saved your saved content will be dated to your journey dates. The older files in the device (MMI directory) will have a date in the past, all the newer files in your download have a date later than your saved files! Be sure to backup your saved files to a known location, so that you can retrieve if in trouble
6. From your PC, copy the files that you need to put on your device (Ctrl-C ) and paste (Ctrl-V) them into the MMI folder in your device
7. Disconnect and restart your device
+
Thanks for your guidence.

Will try to do as above and report the result.

Most Viewed