Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2010, 16:18   #1516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
1. Open the Activesync UI
2. From the Tools menu, select "Explore Pocket PC" (should be enabled when your device is connected). This will open an Explorer window showing the contents of your device
3. First, backup the map files from your device to your PC (copy the entire folder) somewhere
4. You should know where in the MMI directory are the map files. If MMI download created a directory that includes new executables and other files, then it is a rather simple matter of copying the whole directory to the device, in the process overwriting all the older files. BUT, this will create a problem that it will overwrite whatever PoIs and locations that you might have saved
5. To be doubly sure, check the date/time of the individual files. All the files that saved your saved content will be dated to your journey dates. The older files in the device (MMI directory) will have a date in the past, all the newer files in your download have a date later than your saved files! Be sure to backup your saved files to a known location, so that you can retrieve if in trouble
6. From your PC, copy the files that you need to put on your device (Ctrl-C ) and paste (Ctrl-V) them into the MMI folder in your device
7. Disconnect and restart your device
Activesync UI - is this the same Activesync 4.5??
Old 26th November 2010, 16:46   #1517
BHPian

Guys,
I have a weird problem. Sometimes my garmin doesn't recognize the SATNAV maps that I have on my SD and tries to guide me on a route based on the GARMIN maps that come pre-installed.
Is there any way in which I can direct the PND to use SATNAV maps only?

Cheers
f1fan

Last edited by f1fan : 26th November 2010 at 16:53.
Old 26th November 2010, 17:08   #1518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
Guys,
I have a weird problem. Sometimes my garmin doesn't recognize the SATNAV maps that I have on my SD and tries to guide me on a route based on the GARMIN maps that come pre-installed.

Cheers
f1fan
Happened with me once. I took my sd card out and plugged it in again and it has never happened again.

So my suggestion will be check your SD card and the adapter.

Good luck!!
Old 26th November 2010, 17:09   #1519
Senior - BHPian

You can try renaming the img file that has basemap (Garmin map) to some random name. Garmin would stop using the basemap.
Old 26th November 2010, 17:10   #1520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes - there is! You need to select SatNav maps as your preferred maps using one of the settings (don't remember which one) under "Tools".

Also, your Garmin might be unable to read the SatNav maps due to some reason - either the the SD adapter (I am assuming you are using one since SatNav maps come with microSD) might have become loose and not be fitting properly, or there would be some dust in the contacts of the card. Clean the contacts, and re-insert the card into its slot and try.

Last edited by cool_dube : 26th November 2010 at 17:12.
Old 26th November 2010, 17:15   #1521
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Cool_Dube is right. In settings, under maps you can chose the map you want garmin to read. So simply de-select the inbuilt maps and keep only the india maps checked (tickets).
Garmin device can read 6 maps at a time!
Old 26th November 2010, 17:27   #1522
BHPian

Thanks guys for the reply. My updates inline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Happened with me once. I took my sd card out and plugged it in again and it has never happened again.

So my suggestion will be check your SD card and the adapter.

Good luck!!
I tried removing the SD card and putting it back again. No changes. The problem still exists. As mentioned sometimes for e.g. today morning, it just would not pick the SATNAV maps come what may. I waited for some time and did a restart and voila, everything is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
You can try renaming the img file that has basemap (Garmin map) to some random name. Garmin would stop using the basemap.
Will try this one tonight. The problem is that sometimes it cannot detect the SATNAV maps at all. I believe renaming will not help me here bcos if I rename, it will not have any maps at all when this issue crops up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Yes - there is! You need to select SatNav maps as your preferred maps using one of the settings (don't remember which one) under "Tools".

Also, your Garmin might be unable to read the SatNav maps due to some reason - either the the SD adapter (I am assuming you are using one since SatNav maps come with microSD) might have become loose and not be fitting properly, or there would be some dust in the contacts of the card. Clean the contacts, and re-insert the card into its slot and try.
As mentioned earlier, I tried removing and putting the SD card but to no avail. I didnt check for dust in the SD adapter and the Micro SD Card. Will check that out tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Cool_Dube is right. In settings, under maps you can chose the map you want garmin to read. So simply de-select the inbuilt maps and keep only the india maps checked (tickets).
Garmin device can read 6 maps at a time!
Yup, there is a setting but the problem is that when this problem crops up, SATNAV maps doesn't show up in the settings. It only shows the default US map there and acts as if there is no other map on the card. When everything is ok, I do see the SATNAV map in the setting there.

Last edited by f1fan : 26th November 2010 at 17:30.
Old 26th November 2010, 21:23   #1523
BANNED

Looks like a loose SD Card to me. Pull out and reinstall.
Old 26th November 2010, 23:58   #1524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As mentioned earlier, I tried removing and putting the SD card but to no avail. I didnt check for dust in the SD adapter and the Micro SD Card. Will check that out tonight.
If nothing works, I recommend that you buy a new SD adapter. The next step, if this does not work either, would be to get a new microSD card from SatNav. If this does not work either then, I hope this is not the case, you need to get your Garmin device checked.

Guys - On a related note, if I copy the .img and .unl files from my microSD card to the device memory, will it work? Will it eliminate the need of having a card inserted at all times? If yes, it will be good since reading from the device would be much faster than reading through the card and hence, rendering would be faster. Moreover, issues like the one f1fan is facing would also be eliminated. Thoughts?
Old 27th November 2010, 04:06   #1525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
On a related note, if I copy the .img and .unl files from my microSD card to the device memory, will it work? Will it eliminate the need of having a card inserted at all times?
It won't work as the map (and unlock file) is tied to the SD card device id. Imagine, if you could do this, you could re-distribute the map across friends! But I think Satguide.in folks are very nice, if you call them with Garmin device ID (and your map's proof of purchase), they'll send a corresponding .unl file in email (which will work only for your device).
Old 28th November 2010, 13:01   #1526
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
Activesync UI - is this the same Activesync 4.5??
I meant the Active Sync window which pops up when the device is connected, or when you right click the system tray Active Sync icon. Yes, this happens for v4.5 also.
Old 28th November 2010, 13:14   #1527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousik View Post
It won't work as the map (and unlock file) is tied to the SD card device id. Imagine, if you could do this, you could re-distribute the map across friends! ...
Yes, one can, (and yes one can illegally distribute it since the method is not fool proof,) provided one can generate a new .unl file based on the Garmin Unit Id of the device! Satguide will do it for you if you can explain it properly and convince them (card slot not working on the device is a valid reason).
Old 29th November 2010, 11:17   #1528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
I meant the Active Sync window which pops up when the device is connected, or when you right click the system tray Active Sync icon. Yes, this happens for v4.5 also.
+
thanks for clarification.
Besides this new map version loading problem, the touchscreen of the device seems not 100% okay (sometime need to press/touch repeated times to get activation of some function). So they 9MMI) suggested me to send the device to them for complete check up including loading the new map. Accordingly, I have speed posted the device on saturday and hope I will get it back within this week.
Old 4th December 2010, 23:07   #1529
BHPian

Dear wildon and raghu230506, I recently got LACS Magnum Pocket Tablet device.Before getting it I saw your information here.Anyway now I can give some more information's to our forum members about this gadget and its GPS experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Found an ad in today's DNA

MAGNUM Pocket Tablet includes GPS
Couldn't get the price info as route is too busy.

But here is the website: www.lacs.co.in and contact no: 080 42500000
Attachment 429027
Attachment 429029

Attachment 429028
Attachment 429030
Old 5th December 2010, 10:39   #1530
Team-BHP Support

Can you load more than one maps in the SD card in Garmin. If it can read more than one maps, how do we select which one needs to be accessed at a point in time? And also name format that needs to be used to hold more than one map in an SD card?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks