Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2010, 16:58   #1561
Senior - BHPian

re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
I half burnt my fingers buying the MMI RoadPilot. I was extremely reluctant to buy one with a resistive touch screen because I knew it would not match the experience of a capacitive one like iPod Touch. But when I saw it at almost half price (4500/-) on ebay used 3 months, picked it up last month. I was searching for this device because of the good reviews of the AtlasIV firmware running on SirfStar III chipset. The device came with MMI version 4.1.

To my great dismay I found he search capability menu and functions are not half as good or convenient as google maps online. I thought this would be a device I can substitute and use in place of a browser and an Internet connection to search any location in India and quickly get directions for. My mistake in not demanding a demo anywhere although I walked into a few Croma stores window shopping for it. The UI is a kludge and the Linux/OpenSource geek in me can immediately "spot" the "idiot" windoze programmer behind it (My apologies if this label fits anybody here - I just feel that way in an impersonal sense)

Ver4.1 maps have no clue about a famous landmark like Bull Temple in Bangalore!! I tried multiple times over a week, till date I have not succeeded. Now I have dumped it and it is lying useless on my table since a week.

I will probably use it when going long distance, but only just because I spent money on it or it is good to check where I am. I find it too kludgy and time wasting to setup and use for turn-by-turn directions. I ended up using it more productively in conjunction with my iPoD touch and GPRS with Google maps after stopping by the wayside a few times - to really get a sense of direction.

I am picking up a bluetooth GPS receiver next to pair with my iPod Touch.

PS: If anybody still wants the RoadPilot from me let me know

Cheers
Updated Version 5.1 is available with MMI. This version may have more/latest routings. if you want, can try this?
Old 14th December 2010, 17:40   #1562
Senior - BHPian

re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
I always suggest people not to buy discontinued models of garmin for the same reason that sometimes there might be firmware issues or sometimes the chipset isn't good enough...
MX6 thanks for responding.

I purchased Nuvi 760 about 2 years ago when it was still a hot seller (in AMZN top 10 list for weeks). It doesn't look like a hardware issue, more like s/w issue- happened with Satguide maps only. I have been installing/uninstalling several maps (gmapsupp.img and basemap.img, TTS files, audible files etc) on this in past two years, ranging from navteq india map, hacked MMI map, OSM map and now Satguide map. This is happening with Satguide only. My firmware is updated (used web updater), but, then I might have corrupted the OS and/or some other s/w component by installing/deleting so many things on it. I want to check with forum members if anyone facing similar issue... looks like I will do a hard reset and try again. Btw, the license for my US City Navigator Garmin map (came OEM) has expired and Nuvi keeps prompting me every now and then for upgrading it. Could that be a reason too? because, Nuvi hangs whenever this Map update warning comes at startup.

-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 14th December 2010 at 17:43. Reason: minor correction
Old 14th December 2010, 18:37   #1563
Senior - BHPian

Gurus, I need your advice on whether to go for Garmin nuvi 255W or Garmin nuvi 265WT. I believe the latter has bluetooth and fm as added features and also live updates in the US.
I already have bluetooth on my Fiesta and also FM. So does it make sense to buy the 265W for 120 USD, or the 255W which comes bundled with friction mount, carrying case and an extra power cable for the same price?

Would take the plunge around Xmas here in Wa DC. Please pour in your valuable suggestions. My plan is to buy Satguide when I return to Hyd.

Last edited by vnabhi : 14th December 2010 at 18:41.
Old 14th December 2010, 19:03   #1564
Senior - BHPian

My SatNav card is lying idle at home because i dont have an SD adapter :(
Old 14th December 2010, 19:36   #1565
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
MX6 thanks for responding.

more like s/w issue- happened with Satguide maps only. I have been installing/uninstalling several maps (gmapsupp.img and basemap.img, TTS files, audible files etc)

but, then I might have corrupted the OS and/or some other s/w component by installing/deleting so many things on it. I want to check with forum members if anyone facing similar issue...

looks like I will do a hard reset and try again.

Btw, the license for my US City Navigator Garmin map (came OEM) has expired and Nuvi keeps prompting me every now and then for upgrading it. Could that be a reason too? because, Nuvi hangs
whenever this Map update warning comes at startup.

-BJ
Wow BJ. That's a lot of experimentation you've done. I used to find my maps rendering very slow earlier. So I moved most of the unwanted icons (the vehicle icons) and files out of the garmin to my laptop. Also I keep moving the track logs every month to free up space. Like an idiot I loaded everything on to my nuvi and restarted it and it wouldn't come up in early days. I hit the panic button and then realised that there's an garmindevice.xml file that's generated when the nuvi starts and that wasn't getting generated due to lack of space! From such humble beginnings, I've learnt what makes my nuvi work and ever since have stopped tampering with it.
Try disabling the update prompt at start up. I'm not sure about how it is for 760. May be I can google that and let you know. Also uncheck the US map so that your nuvi reads only the India maps. let me check and revert on this licensing issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Gurus, I need your advice on whether to go for Garmin nuvi 255W or Garmin nuvi 265WT. I believe the latter has bluetooth and fm as added features and also live updates in the US.
I already have bluetooth on my Fiesta and also FM. So does it make sense to buy the 265W for 120 USD, or the 255W which comes bundled with friction mount, carrying case and an extra power cable for the same price?

Would take the plunge around Xmas here in Wa DC. Please pour in your valuable suggestions. My plan is to buy Satguide when I return to Hyd.
Check whether 255 is suspended from production. Garmin site tells which models are out-dated. There's no point in an extra power cable. You can always connect your device to the laptop / car charger to have it charged. Extra power cable only means extra wires to carry. Carrying case is essential if you frequently take your nuvi in and out of your car. Friction mount is optional. I still use the suction mount which I remove from my car when I park at unknown places. Don't want any jerks smashing my windscreen seeing any mount there suggesting an electronic item still left in car!
I love my 265WT. Blue tooth has come very handy when I hook up my mobile on the long drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
My SatNav card is lying idle at home because i dont have an SD adapter :(
SD adapters are available for 30 - 50 bucks sir.
Old 14th December 2010, 21:06   #1566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...there's an garmindevice.xml file that's generated when the nuvi starts and that wasn't getting generated due to lack of space! From such humble beginnings, I've learnt what makes my nuvi work and ever since have stopped tampering with it....
Thanks MX6. That is a lot of insight. Basically the monkey in me keeps doing all these Yes I have unchecked the US map. I've cleared the trip logs too (just did last week), but, haven't used it after that. Will clear up few unused icons and TTS lanuages too and try again. Hope things become normal after all these.

Btw, have you tried working with win7? Somehow, my Acer will not load up Garmin when connected to USB. I've already installed this driver Garmin: USB Drivers Updates & Downloads

-BJ
Old 14th December 2010, 22:06   #1567
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
Updated Version 5.1 is available with MMI. This version may have more/latest routings. if you want, can try this?
No thanks! That 1000+ bucks can go towards the new bluetooth GPS unit.

I dont like the Interface anyways. Besides if 4.1 was so bad, 5.1 can't be that great!

Cheers
Old 15th December 2010, 00:54   #1568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Check whether 255 is suspended from production. Garmin site tells which models are out-dated. There's no point in an extra power cable. You can always connect your device to the laptop / car charger to have it charged. Extra power cable only means extra wires to carry. Carrying case is essential if you frequently take your nuvi in and out of your car. Friction mount is optional. I still use the suction mount which I remove from my car when I park at unknown places. Don't want any jerks smashing my windscreen seeing any mount there suggesting an electronic item still left in car!
I love my 265WT. Blue tooth has come very handy when I hook up my mobile on the long drives.

Thanks @mx6. The garmin site lists scores of models and 255W also figures in it, though a lot costlier. Looks like they have not updated the prices for long.
Old 15th December 2010, 06:48   #1569
Senior - BHPian

@MX6: yes everyone says so but i just cant find them anywhere. I have tried all sorts of shops.
Old 15th December 2010, 09:38   #1570
BANNED

As for the 255/264 controversy I will go for the 4.3 wide in preference to the 3.5, Just look at the features, and get what you want, preferably in wide screen. Since in India Garmin support is nascent at best I see no harm in a a obsolescent model, if you get a good price.
Old 15th December 2010, 10:19   #1571
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I used a Garmin nuvi 660 for a few months and trust me, you would rarely use the FM and bluetooth functionality, because the quality is not that great anyways. If you already have a means of hooking up your media player to your stereo, then the FM transmitter functionality is moot. If you use a bluetooth headset, then the bluetooth capability is redundant, unless you like using the speakerphone for all in the car to hear your conversation, and lean into the gps (dangerous while driving) when talking so the caller can hear better!

Trust me, go for a gps PND which provides superior navigation, larger/easy to read screen and easy to use interface (like, maybe voice commands input), rather than extra features that you may rarely use. The friction mount was very useful for me as it was easier to use and better to take off and hide in the glovebox as opposed to the other mounts which leave a round mark on your windshield or dashboard for others (read: would be thieves) to see. One wall charger and one car charger is usually enough for normal PND use, unless you are the frequent car changing type.

OT: BTW, how did you get the bluetooth and fm functionality in your fiesta. I'm also looking for something similar in my Fiesta

Last edited by Neilguy : 15th December 2010 at 10:26.
Old 15th December 2010, 18:43   #1572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
As for the 255/264 controversy I will go for the 4.3 wide in preference to the 3.5, Just look at the features, and get what you want, preferably in wide screen. Since in India Garmin support is nascent at best I see no harm in a a obsolescent model, if you get a good price.
Thanks @sgitk. Your views echo my thoughts. 255 W is the same size as 265 WT, which is 4.3 inches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilguy View Post
I used a Garmin nuvi 660 for a few months and trust me, you would rarely use the FM and bluetooth functionality, because the quality is not that great anyways. If you already have a means of hooking up your media player to your stereo, then the FM transmitter functionality is moot. If you use a bluetooth headset, then the bluetooth capability is redundant, unless you like using the speakerphone for all in the car to hear your conversation, and lean into the gps (dangerous while driving) when talking so the caller can hear better!

Trust me, go for a gps PND which provides superior navigation, larger/easy to read screen and easy to use interface (like, maybe voice commands input), rather than extra features that you may rarely use. The friction mount was very useful for me as it was easier to use and better to take off and hide in the glovebox as opposed to the other mounts which leave a round mark on your windshield or dashboard for others (read: would be thieves) to see. One wall charger and one car charger is usually enough for normal PND use, unless you are the frequent car changing type.

OT: BTW, how did you get the bluetooth and fm functionality in your fiesta. I'm also looking for something similar in my Fiesta
Thanks buddy, you've helped me decide on the 255 W. My Fiesta was fitted with a Nokia CK7W set a week after buying it as a free promotion by Ford India for those who bought the car in March, 2007. It has a separate speaker behind the glovebox and it is quite ok.
I use HCL FM transmitter to play my mp3 player on the stock ICE.
I'll certainly go in for the friction mount.
Old 16th December 2010, 10:17   #1573
BANNED

I was in Kolkata and found a very nifty installation of the GPS (MMI in this case) in my son-in-law's City. What he did was to fix the mount on the quarter glass. He He leaves the mount and the bracket there all the time, and just inserts/removes the GPS unit as required. He has routed the wiring through the lower dash panel. This way the GPS is very unobtrusive, ideally placed for the driver, and the power lead is also nicely hidden.
Old 17th December 2010, 14:35   #1574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I was in Kolkata and found a very nifty installation of the GPS (MMI in this case) in my son-in-law's City. What he did was to fix the mount on the quarter glass. He He leaves the mount and the bracket there all the time, and just inserts/removes the GPS unit as required. He has routed the wiring through the lower dash panel. This way the GPS is very unobtrusive, ideally placed for the driver, and the power lead is also nicely hidden.

A pic would help, and I think not all of us have a quarter glass in the front.
Old 18th December 2010, 13:06   #1575
BHPian

Hello folks,

I have here an extract from a track that we travelled on 16th evening. This particular section is the new Byapannahalli Metro Flyover, which has slow moving traffic. Yet, the track shows speeds of 268 kmph and 240 kmph.

Can someone please enlighten me why this is so? Am I interpreting this wrongly?

For the same trip, my Garmin Nuvi 265WT showed a max speed of 49kph.

16-12-2010 21:32:44 927 m 74 m 0:00:01 268 km/h 154° true N12 59.387 E77 38.881

16-12-2010 21:32:45 927 m 159 m 0:00:07 82 km/h 38° true N12 59.351 E77 38.899
16-12-2010 21:32:52 926 m 181 m 0:00:15 43 km/h 101° true N12 59.419 E77 38.953
16-12-2010 21:33:07 926 m 0 m 0:00:14 0 km/h 0° true N12 59.400 E77 39.051
16-12-2010 21:33:21 927 m 67 m 0:00:01 240 km/h 37° true N12 59.400 E77 39.051

Another question (pardon me if it's been asked/answered already) - I see that Garmin is now offering their own India maps for $99. Will that work with MapSource?

This must be old hat to people here, but I would like to relate my experience with the Garmin/SatGuide One-India map.

I bought this in August 2010 on the advice of members here, (many thanks to ampere).

Generally, I have found this less than useful in my home town Bangalore. Of course, in Bangalore that's not surprising as Bangalore is perhaps the only place where even auto drivers need to stop and ask directions

It gives some weird directions. For e.g., from our place in Sadandanagar, it guides to Old Madras Road and then to the outer ring road to reach Kammanahalli, which is totally off as there is a direct route via Kasturinagar.

Moreover, some important roads are not marked, for e.g., the ITC Cox Town Flyover which has been open for a year now, and is a major link road.

But when going to an unknown place, it is worth while: once, going to a house in Padmanabhanagar, which I have never seen earlier, the SatGuide did lead me to my destination although perhaps not by the best route. Nevertheless, when needed it did the job.

My best experience was last month in Chennai - my wife and I did a quick unplanned dash to Chennai to buy wedding sarees for our son's wedding. We had booked a service apartment in Panagal Park area which is where the famous shops are located. I had a rough idea of how to get there but only via Mount Road as I hadn't been to T Nagar by another route. I searched for Panagal Park in the Garmin and it took absolutely ages to find it. Once found, I put that as my destination.

As we reached Chennai, the SatGuide directed me off the NH, and into a major traffic slowdown where the Metro work was going on. (Vadapalani, I think it was). Google maps on my Blackberry seemed to have a better picture, but as my wife is not useful for these tasks, and couldn't follow that, I decided to put away the BB google map and follow only the Garmin/SatNav map, come hell or high water.

From the main road, it guided me into a narrow street where my Fiesta just about fit, and from there into a narrow underpass. By this time my wife was well into the "why can't you stop and ask? all men are like this" routine.

Stopping in heavy traffic was the last thing I was going to do, and so persisted with the GPS. I came out of the underpass and after the next turn, to my complete surprise, right bang in front of me was one of the shops! The SatGuide had brought me to Panagal park from NH (Poonamallee High Road) by a really short route!

Till this time, I was not too satisfied with the Garmin/SatGuide, but when this incident took place I realised it's really useful when travelling in an unfamiliar place. And, the voice instructions are most useful in heavy traffic.

Moreover, it automatically connects to my Blackberry and loads my phone book and I have a decent hands free kit as well. I'm not a big time phone user and I don't have any other bluetooth, so the Garmin's bluetooth quality is good enough for me. On ampere's advice I also got the friction mount which is really useful. It keeps the device secure where I wish, out of the windscreen area and close to hand.

Now I'm very glad I bought this combo. The only drawback is that I can't load routes into the device from my PC.

BTW, I copied the tracks for the two flyovers not updated in the SatGuide August 2010 version and sent it to SatGuide. They have forwarded to their concerned department.

Most Viewed