Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2011, 16:01   #1771
BANNED

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

The MMI site says the following:

Quote:
  • This Version 6.0 update is available for S550, S650 Zx150, Vx240, Lx130, Vx140s, Road Pilot, NAV200, NAV300, Fortuna 430 Classic, Travel Pilot Lucca, Bx100, Bx200, Nav X67 and AMAX06GPA models.
  • The Premium Content is available for S650 ,S550 ,Zx150, Vx240,Vx140,Lx130, NAV200, NAV300, Fortuna 430 Classic, Travel Pilot Lucca,Bx100, Bx200, Nav X67 and AMAX06GPA models.
  • Road Pilot and Vx140s device would get street level version 5.0 maps. It would not have House Level and 3-D Content which is for Premium Content devices only
I use RoadPilot. Now what is the difference between v5 and v6 maps apart from premium content? Why should I pay full price for an outdated map?

BHPians please Comment?
Old 9th March 2011, 17:33   #1772
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Folks, it looks like there are only 2 options now ----MMI or Garmin. Satnav has not been able to resolve its issues with Garmin for the past 2 weeks, and every week they are postponing the date they expect to resolve the issues.

Methinks Garmin is not allowing Satnav to sell maps for their devices as they have launched their own version of India maps.

Any idea of the cost of Garmin maps vis-a-vis MMI? And how much do the upgrades cost? As far as Garmin goes, it costs around 4600 INR for the maps in SD card, and an equal amount for upgrade, as their website says an upgrade involves getting a new SD card (I infer it will cost as much as an initial map load).
@vnabhi,
Finally, Satguide has shipped the micro sd. They have sent me the shipping details. So looks like they have resolved the issue with Garmin folks.
Old 9th March 2011, 18:11   #1773
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have Nokia N86 with maps from Nokia. But it always search for GPS signals and doesnt work without internet connection.
Have anyone using N86 cracked this problem?
or any pointers for using other providers than Nokia (like MapMyIndia etc) are also welcome. I should be able to use Navigation system without internet (atleast not for all times).

Let me know if you need any further details
Old 9th March 2011, 18:14   #1774
Team-BHP Support

I have the Satguide maps on my mobile since 2009 March.

Is the map upgrade worth it. I will usually refer the maps for Hyderabad and Chennai.
Old 9th March 2011, 18:22   #1775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
@vnabhi,
Finally, Satguide has shipped the micro sd. They have sent me the shipping details. So looks like they have resolved the issue with Garmin folks.
Thanks for the update. I'll walk over to their office tomorrow and holler for not keeping my updated.
Old 9th March 2011, 18:34   #1776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Thanks for the update. I'll walk over to their office tomorrow and holler for not keeping my updated.
Great, can you please keep us updated on how combo works. I am looking for a VFM navigation solution too, and was thinking of ordering the 265W and satguide maps.
Actually torn between that and the MMI Roadpilot. Garmin from US + Satguide combo still works out to be cheaper than the cheapest MMI Device.
Old 9th March 2011, 18:44   #1777
Senior - BHPian

Called Satguide, Garmin update is finally out. Ordered the update. Will post the review later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
I am looking for a VFM navigation solution too, and was thinking of ordering the 265W and satguide maps.
+1 for this choice. This is lowest cost option and if quite decent. In terms of maps, cost is:

Satguide : 1k
Garmin (Navteq) : 4.5k
MMI : 7k

You can start with Satguide, it has robust coverage for Metros and tier 2 cities. It lacks coverage for smaller towns.

If you face any specific issues, you can try other maps later. You can check coverage of all three maps online (free).
Old 9th March 2011, 20:01   #1778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
@vnabhi,
Which map did you order ? I placed an order for India maps for my Garmin GPS more than a week back (for 990 INR). Did not hear anything from them at all for a week and hence called them up. Got to hear that the software was not working and that they would refund the money back within 48 hrs.

Edit: Just checked my email and looks like it has been shipped. Hope it works fine. Keeping fingers crossed.

Last edited by rr_zen : 9th March 2011 at 20:04.
Old 10th March 2011, 00:03   #1779
Senior - BHPian

@rr_zen,
I had ordered the same stuff. I called them up 2 days ago and they were ready to refund the money. But they also told if i can wait till 15th Mar. I was ok to wait till then. So now they have shipped the SD card. Expecting it sometime tomorrow. Will update once i receive it.
Old 10th March 2011, 15:01   #1780
Senior - BHPian

Here's an update, guys.

I walked over to the Satnav HQ and found them to be open despite the 'million-men protest march' planned for today.

Paid cash and asked the representative to install it and get it working. He fished out a collection of SD card adapters (most of them in bad shape) and finally found one good enough. After inserting it, he tried to change the country to India, but got a 'not found' message.

Spent some time looking into it and found only a few N Amercian and European countries listed in the device. So he got hold of one more SD card adapter and inserted it. This time India was indeed listed.

I tried to add my home lane after selecting the state and city, but it was not listed, though it was only 100 Metres from the Satnav office. So added Raj Bhavan Rd instead and it was indeed there.

Went home to the terrace and switched on the device again. It took less than 5 minutes to lock on to the satellites. I have not yet driven with it in the car as the roads outside are barricaded, but will do so tomorrow.

One thing I need to mention is that the POIs are well-listed. But the only gripe I have is that a search for lodging also yields restaurants. Another observation is the distances seem to be displayed as the crow flies, and not by road. Perhaps they designed it for chopper pilots

I did notice some other errors, but I can live with those. So far so good.
Old 10th March 2011, 20:20   #1781
Senior - BHPian

Righto, ordered the Garmin Nuvi 265W today morning. Someone is going to carry it from me by the first week of April.
Checked out some of the maps online and found both MMI (which I checked today) and Satguide (which I had checked earlier, site seems to be down now) has lots of factual errors while naming areas like housing colonies. Anyway, for those details we have "human gps" anyway, so not worried.
Old 10th March 2011, 20:26   #1782
Senior - BHPian

In Pune, Both have excellent coverage. Most of the times I just enter name of housing complex and it is marked as POI. Though you have to try few alternate spellings.
Old 11th March 2011, 00:00   #1783
Senior - BHPian

Got updated Satguide maps. Coverage has improved a lot in Mumbai/Pune. A snasphot of Pune:

The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-satguide_feb_11_pune.jpg

Most of housing societies are listed in maps.

Would get newer Navteq maps in few days (Ovi maps are going to be updated).

With current Navteq and Satguide maps, you should be able to enter nearest POI and navigate in Metros.
Old 11th March 2011, 00:14   #1784
BHPian

NetfreakBombay,
Does Navteq is available for Symbian phones?
In its website, i just cant get map for india, though I'm getting the places if i do a route search.
Old 11th March 2011, 00:29   #1785
Senior - BHPian

Nokia owns Navteq. Navteq maps are free on Symbian. Install OVI maps application to get these maps.

You can check coverage on maps.ovi.com. Update is expected in next couple of weeks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks