Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2009, 22:39   #166
Senior - BHPian

Garmin maps for India have been around for a while. I was running them on my hacked satnav box and WM smartphone. Never tested them in India but form recall I know that they were not a patch on the MMI maps in terms of getting to small villages in Punjab. For cities the Garmin coverage looked good.
Old 3rd July 2009, 00:20   #167
Senior - BHPian

Garmin maps are now released by Microsoft for free(Your web browser and the Maps site are incompatible).

Garmin, Microsoft (and Nokia) use maps from Navteq. So quality and coverage is going to be same across these three.

With this link its easy to see which areas are covered by navteq and the quality of coverage.
Old 8th July 2009, 16:11   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
AERIAL SERVICES PVT. LTD. - Home

This comapny sells Navteq maps for India. This is in Garmin format. Costs 3k.

MapMyIndia also sells Garmin maps. They cover more cities then navteq but for each city maps are not that good.
Yesterday I called them and they were quoting Rs.7000/- plus tax for the map in an externally purchased Garmin device.
Old 15th July 2009, 13:43   #169
BANNED

Mapmyindia is now selling Garmin Nuvi 215 and 715 with Mapmyindia maps, along with the other existing devices. The Nuvi 215 was looking like an attractive buy, though my psychological price barrier is 10k. It is selling at 15k right now.

Has anyone tried it yet? Was looking to read first hand experience review on it.
Old 15th July 2009, 14:09   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
MapMyIndia is terrible, to say the least
That comment was based on my actual use of MapMyIndia map product across 30 cities, 12 States and 12,000 kms.
Old 15th July 2009, 14:47   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmn View Post
Mapmyindia is now selling Garmin Nuvi 215 and 715 with Mapmyindia maps
MapmyIndia's Garmin Maps are terrible for Bombay and Pune, not sure about other cities. It would be better to get a Garmin unit from US / EU and buy India maps (Navteq maps in place of MapmyIndia)

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 15th July 2009 at 14:48.
Old 15th July 2009, 15:55   #172
Senior - BHPian

Here is my review of the MapMyIndia Navigator (earlier version):

Display

 Very user-Unfriendly interface, features not easy to learn or operate

 Impossible to see the display during daytime if mounted on dashboard, too small by night, you can see only if you hold it in your hand.

Maps

 No maps of Arunachal

 No map of Bhutan (which of course is not India)

 Many roads are not mapped

Navigation

 If you do not get spelling right, in many instances it cannot plot

 You have to select Place Name and State, the device does not find place if State is not mentioned

 Database does not have several towns.

 If you ignore its prompt to take a particular route, recalculation is messed up and the device becomes disoriented, with garbled instructions.

 Do away with Optimal/ Fastest route features, it is irrelevant for the highways

 It is unable to calculate routes in some sectors (nowhere in Arunachal, for instance) – e.g. It could not calculate route from Shilapather to Dibrugarh, even on the land route, and definitely not river ferries.

 Has no river ferry information.

 Route Overview is the worst feature, which does not mention towns en route in detail and is unintelligible for it to be of any help.

 Display should have name of Next town en route

 Navigator refuses to work without satellite connectivity. The least feature that could have been given is to calculate from the last known position recorded in the device.

City

 City Maps are very bad. Tried to use it in the following cities:

MH – Thane, Mumbai, Nasik, Akola, Nagpur
CG – Raj Nandgaon, Raipur
WB – Farakka, Haora, Islampur, Jalpaiguri, Koch Bihar, Kolkata, Siliguri
SK – Gangtok, Jortehang, Nayabazar, Rangpo, Singtam
AS – Dibrugarh, Golaghat, Guwahati, Nagaon
UP – Gorakhpur, Jhansi, Kanpur, Lucknow
RJ – Kota, Udaipur
GJ - Ahmedabad

 Map is hopelessly out of date for:
- Double roads
- U-Turns
- Flyovers
- One-way roads

 It could not choose the optimal route in the town – selection of routes was bad

 It could not navigate on roads, which had flyovers – e.g. it asked to turn off flyovers

 If it gets disoriented, it directs through roads, which are not navigable either because they are too narrow, congested, 1-ways, etc.

Highway

 Whenever you do not listen to the directions, you get weird alerts asking you to make U-turns 20 kms ahead!

 It is erratic in reciting road turnings – i.e. indications that the road is turning either right or left – and the audio alert comes on sometimes, but most of the time does not.

 Road alignments are wrong in many places, even in National Highways.

 Points of Interest – very poor database, has limited directory of petrol stations. Did not find it useful at all. Feature not easy to use.

 The map does not mark several large towns en route

Others

 The casing is too flimsy. Can get damaged. The LCD frame needs to be thicker so that even if it falls down, the edges will protect the LCD screen.

 The suction cup holder stalk broke even as I was fitting it on the windscreen. There is no other option and I had to clumsily put the broken stalk together.

 The cigarette lighter adapter did not work. Luckily, since I have a power inverter in my car, I could use the regular plug-type adapter.

 Some keys in the LCD screen keyboard do not work unless you press repeatedly or press hard. Overall, a poor quality device.
Old 21st July 2009, 13:47   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor View Post
Well technically I am the first user of LX130 device (confirmed by MapMyIndia), I got it delivered about a week before launch. I am doing a xomparison of Garmin and LX130 and shall post a detailed review soon.
Hi Rishi,

I am planning to buy one LX130 as this is the most reasonably priced on Mapmyindia.com/satguide.in.

Can you please post the review.

Thanks.
Old 21st July 2009, 14:19   #174
BANNED

All hardware issues can be forgotten if you're going in for a Garmin device. Whether to buy it from Mapmyindia or from the Garmin dealer is the decision to be made. Apparently, the Garmin dealership sells it with Navteq maps that are not at all detailed and have only 18 cities or so mapped so far in India.

As for me, I'm still waiting for the prices to drop. I bought a brand new Magellan in the US for $180 and sold it for $100 after 6 months of use when I returned to India. Prices in India should come down to the $200 levels at least - for the Garmin devices.
Old 21st July 2009, 14:21   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All hardware issues can be forgotten if you're going in for a Garmin device. Whether to buy it from Mapmyindia or from the Garmin dealer is the decision to be made. Apparently, the Garmin dealership sells it with Navteq maps that are not at all detailed and have only 18 cities or so mapped so far in India.
Better to buy reliable maps of 18 cities than unreliable maps of 600 cities!
Old 21st July 2009, 14:46   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Apparently, the Garmin dealership sells it with Navteq maps that are not at all detailed and have only 18 cities or so mapped so far in India.
Garmin has a unique feature that is integration with Google.

If a POI is not in local Map, it would be searched in Google maps online. This way I was able to use it in even small cities in MP which are not covered by Navteq / TeleAtlas or MMI. This would not give you turn by turn navigation, but would help in locating a POI and saving it to "My Locations".
Old 21st July 2009, 16:25   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Hi Rishi,

I am planning to buy one LX130 as this is the most reasonably priced on Mapmyindia.com/satguide.in.

Can you please post the review.

Thanks.

My apology for not putting a detailed review since I am hard pressed on time these days. On a quick note, the device is useless and not worth investing at all. If you want to buy it as a toy then its a different issue.

I have tested two devices, Garmin with free OpenCloud map and one mapmyindia lx130 and believe me, Garmin is much better with free maps, the only downside is that navigation is not possible with free maps.

Having said this abot LX130, their map content is good and if you can get Garmin maps from them and buy device from US, I think that is the best combination.

I am trying to get Navteq's India map for Garmin, I shall post review of the same as soon as I receive it. Thanks.
Old 5th August 2009, 16:05   #178
BHPian

Can we have a poll included on this thread, for the best GPS, do include garmin. It should make this thread more intresting.
Old 5th August 2009, 16:27   #179
BHPian

have been meaning to post this - google maps just recently updated their database to allow routing between locations. It now gives nice step by step directions on my car phone (htc diamond)
Old 9th August 2009, 13:24   #180
BHPian

Planning to buy a GPS device for within city drive in Bangalore and inter city drive in South India. Can anyone please let me know which is the best GPS device for Bangalore and surrounding cities?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks