Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2011, 13:51   #1846
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@nfsfreak; Could be they are selling off stocks in Symbian. Symbian looks to be dying or dead. Nokia have signed off - going Windows. The OS was made Open Source and then the plug was pulled I think on 31/1/10.
Yep but i'm not complaining, as i need a nav software pretty badly now and got a offer just in right time
Old 3rd April 2011, 16:00   #1847
BHPian

Loading of Google maps on to my Garmin nuvi 265w

Hi, Geeks,

This might be a repeat question, but I tried to search but failed. I'm visiting Saudi Arabia on a short visit. I do have North America maps pre-loaded and Satnav maps for India on a Micro SD Card.

I would like to experiment with Google maps in Saudi. I need advice of how to download? And should I download on to a new SD Card? Please Advice?

Thanks in advance and appreciate speedy response by tonight.
Old 3rd April 2011, 16:41   #1848
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

What device do you intend to use the downloaded Google maps on? You haven't mentioned that.
Old 3rd April 2011, 18:03   #1849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
What device do you intend to use the downloaded Google maps on? You haven't mentioned that.
It's on GARMIN nuvi 265w.

I've mentioned in the headline.

Thanks, Waiting for your reply.
Old 3rd April 2011, 22:28   #1850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Its Feb 2011 (Garmin Maps). Its possible that maps are from Dec and were released for Garmin on Feb.

You can install MapSource (Free download from Garmin) and then same Satguide maps would work on PC.

I plan the route on PC and then transfer it to my Garmin PND.

I finally found time to probe into this. Are you sure that MapSoruce is a free download? I tried to install it and it produced an error saying that 'prior version of Map Source not found, hence aborting'.

Even the Garmin site says it is free only if one has Map Source on a CD or DVD and does not come with a Garmin device. It is recommended only for those using Garmin units that do not have a memory card reader, or have lack of sufficient memory.

Last edited by vnabhi : 3rd April 2011 at 22:29.
Old 4th April 2011, 00:03   #1851
Distinguished - BHPian

Somewhere I have an old copy of MapSource, which was with a hand-held Garmin GPS that I owned some years back, and no longer have. Does this mean that the CD, if I can find it, would enable me to download Garmin maps? Would they be useful to me anyway? Hmmm...
Old 4th April 2011, 08:51   #1852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I finally found time to probe into this. Are you sure that MapSoruce is a free download? I tried to install it and it produced an error saying that 'prior version of Map Source not found, hence aborting'.
Yes you need to have a qualifying Garmin product. One such product is Garmin Training Center:

Garmin: Training Center Updates & Downloads

Install Training Center before installing Mapsource. And you need a Garmin unit for this to be useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Does this mean that the CD, if I can find it, would enable me to download Garmin maps? Would they be useful to me anyway? Hmmm...
No, that would not enable downloading Garmin maps. It would enable you to use existing Garmin Maps on PC to explore + plan trips on map.
Old 4th April 2011, 09:48   #1853
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
It's on GARMIN nuvi 265w. I've mentioned in the headline. ...
Oops, sorry, should have checked before.

No, I don't think you can use Google maps (downloaded or online) on the 265w. The reason is Garmin is a 'closed' device which does not allow one to run another software such as gmaps which would be required to display downloaded Google maps. Nor does it have an internet connection!
Old 4th April 2011, 12:21   #1854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes you need to have a qualifying Garmin product. One such product is Garmin Training Center:

Garmin: Training Center Updates & Downloads

Install Training Center before installing Mapsource. And you need a Garmin unit for this to be useful.

Thanks a ton, buddy! I've managed to download Mapsource now, after the Training Center installation.

What next? Do I need to connect the Garmin device and move maps from the device to the laptop, or vice versa?
Old 4th April 2011, 12:27   #1855
Senior - BHPian

Yes, next step is to move maps from Garmin unit to PC. Are you comfortable with command line on windows? That is the most straightforward route. Steps are:

1. Copy .img files to PC
2. Import those in Mapsource
3. Activate it online. You already have the license in unit and can register it for Mapsource on Garmin's site.

Or you can run a few commands to do it all for you
Old 4th April 2011, 12:39   #1856
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, next step is to move maps from Garmin unit to PC. Are you comfortable with command line on windows? That is the most straightforward route. Steps are:

1. Copy .img files to PC
2. Import those in Mapsource
3. Activate it online. You already have the license in unit and can register it for Mapsource on Garmin's site.

Or you can run a few commands to do it all for you
Wow, thanks for the lightning fast response. I could not figure out what the alternative you suggested was (you can run a few commands to do it all for you).

Going by the first option, will the following do:-
  1. Copy E:*.img C:\Garmin. Or should I look for *.jpeg or other image types?
  2. Open Mapsource and look for the import tool. Point to C:\Garmin and import *
  3. Go to myGarmin and look for ways to register it.
Old 4th April 2011, 13:43   #1857
Senior - BHPian

Will post a howto today or tomorrow. You need *.img fiels from Garmin unit.
Old 4th April 2011, 19:48   #1858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Okay Dokey. Eagerly awaiting your clarifications.
Old 5th April 2011, 14:05   #1859
BHPian

Quote:
I installed Training Center and Mapsource but not sure how to import the Satguide maps from my Garmin device to Mapsource. Help please!!
Old 5th April 2011, 17:01   #1860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
I installed Training Center and Mapsource but not sure how to import the Satguide maps from my Garmin device to Mapsource. Help please!!
That makes two of us, eagerly waiting for @NetfreakBombay's inputs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks