Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2011, 11:57   #1876
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Thanks NetfreakBombay! I tried the steps and right at the end got this error message in the cmd window. Any ideas what went wrong??
Attached Thumbnails
The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-screenshot.jpg  

Old 11th April 2011, 12:36   #1877
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Hi,

Do you have cgpsmapper installed? If you have, we need to cgpsmapper visible to this .bat file. To do that, can you run this command :

Quote:
dir c:\cgpsmapper.exe /s
That would tell us the location where cgpsmapper is present.

Then we will have to run a command before running install.bat to make it visible (add that exe to PATH).
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2011, 13:24   #1878
BHPian

Voila! I copied the cgpsmapper.exe file to the mapsource maps folder and then ran the install.bat and it worked. Now Mapsource lists the Satguide OneIndia maps but asks me for an unlock code???
Old 11th April 2011, 13:31   #1879
Senior - BHPian

In step 1, when you select the .img file in GmapTool and Press "Info", it will show some stats.

Unlock code is part of that. I think its towards the end.
Old 11th April 2011, 13:36   #1880
BHPian

Has anyone tried MMI maps on Garmin Nuvi devices? I am getting a Nuvi 3790 shortly and apparently the MMI maps work on it.
Old 11th April 2011, 13:38   #1881
Senior - BHPian

MMI maps are available for Nuvi 3790. These maps cost approx 7k.
Old 11th April 2011, 14:17   #1882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
In step 1, when you select the .img file in GmapTool and Press "Info", it will show some stats.

Unlock code is part of that. I think its towards the end.
Thanks a ton NetfreakBombay!

It works like a charm now! Finally I will be able to search for waypoints on the PC before exporting them to the Garmin. How I wish I had done this sooner?
Old 11th April 2011, 19:20   #1883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
Thanks a ton NetfreakBombay!

It works like a charm now! Finally I will be able to search for waypoints on the PC before exporting them to the Garmin. How I wish I had done this sooner?
Congrats! I got tied up with something urgent today, so I will give it a shot tomorrow.

So are there any more instructions to add to what NetfreakBombay has suggested?
Old 11th April 2011, 23:06   #1884
BHPian

^^^^ Go through post# 1878 above. I got myself tangled up while using cgpsmapper app.
Old 12th April 2011, 10:56   #1885
BHPian

Last friday i finally bought the mapmyindia vx 140s at lathangi motors, paid 10k for it. Next day hit the road to srirangapatna and the map worked like a charm. I was pleasently surprised when yesterday there was a guy from mapmyindia turned at my home for a demo!

I am told it still doesnot have door numbers however in the next 6 months it will be incorporated. Still exploring the device
Old 12th April 2011, 13:37   #1886
Senior - BHPian

I got a different type or error today, per screenshot in attached file.

Any clues on how to overcome this?

The errror reads as :

'compiling preview map.

Cannot find import: DLL may be missing, corrupt or wrong version

File 'SENDG.DLL', error 126
File Missing: mapset.img aborting install.

Press any key to continue---

Garmin_MaprsourceError.docx
Old 12th April 2011, 15:29   #1887
Senior - BHPian

Any feedback on Garmin's Nuvi 215?

Is anyone here using the Garmin Nuvi 215 (that's the only one officially available in Calcutta)? I wanted to understand how authentic and dependable the Navteq maps being used in them are. I am not so concerned about the cities (though that feedback would also help) but for rural/offbeat India I would love to know will it solve our problems of navigation or complicate matters further?
Would like to hear from actual users before deciding whether to go hi-tech on Indian highways or stick to good old truckers' advice?
If there is already a thread on this then I am sorry and would like to be pointed please.
Old 12th April 2011, 16:30   #1888
BHPian

Sudipto,
Am also in the same boat as you can see from my earlier query regarding similar needs;, more interested in off city routes than city ones and caught between MMI and Garmin Models available in India. After looking at possible options , I am thinking it is more prudent to go Mapmyindia path as its tough to get reviews on the new Navteq maps - so no chance of verifying that part, whereas the new MMI ones seems to be pretty good.

With new SirF chipset, the satelite locking should also be a little better and more than that the in a GPS environment, the device is as only as good as the maps, which as per the current consensus MMI is definitely better.

Cheers.
Old 12th April 2011, 18:09   #1889
Senior - BHPian

Unbranded
Thanks for your thoughts. MMI is tested in India. Very true. Many team-bhpians have gone to remote locations with it and have found it to be useful.
But being a Foretrex 101 user for long I am slightly biased towards Garmin ;-) Navteq is also a very big global player. I am more than confident that they will keep updating their maps pretty frequently.
I just need to catch hold of someone who is using a Navteq map. They show a map of your city when you log on to their site (Navteq I mean) and at least the Calcutta map that I saw is pretty decent. I will spend more time on their sample map from home tonight.
Sudipto
Old 12th April 2011, 23:19   #1890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I got a different type or error today, per screenshot in attached file.

Any clues on how to overcome this?

The errror reads as :

'compiling preview map.

Cannot find import: DLL may be missing, corrupt or wrong version

File 'SENDG.DLL', error 126
File Missing: mapset.img aborting install.

Press any key to continue---

Attachment 530098
I've managed to overcome that error by copying the concerned DLL file to the same folder where the install.bat was located. The install ran to success.

But I've got stuck up on Mapsource with the same unlock code error. I tried connecting the Garmin device and then clicking on 'Unlock Online'. Though the product id and Sl Number of the device matched, the unlock code was not matching.

What is the unlock code? I see several lines when the 'info' button' is pressed on the Gmap tool. I tried the last 3 lines, but none worked.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks