Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2011, 01:09   #1891
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
I just need to catch hold of someone who is using a Navteq map. They show a map of your city when you log on to their site (Navteq I mean) and at least the Calcutta map that I saw is pretty decent.
You can check coverage of Navteq on Ovi Maps it has improved a lot in last update.

Overall, MMI covers maximum number of cities. Satguide and Navteq cover around 800. And within cities, MMI covers more buildings and other POIs.

Navteq's coverage is lesser, but accuracy is higher.

In terms of highways, all three have similar coverage.

Traveled to MP (from Mumbai) few weeks back. Had all three maps. Highways coverage is spotty for all of them. Best to use that as a guidance but confirm that for smaller turns out of city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
What is the unlock code? I see several lines when the 'info' button' is pressed on the Gmap tool. I tried the last 3 lines, but none worked.
Can you PM me the output of Info? One of these three should have worked. You can try doing that after removing the device.
Old 13th April 2011, 03:02   #1892
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
I've managed to overcome that error by copying the concerned DLL file to the same folder where the install.bat was located. The install ran to success.

But I've got stuck up on Mapsource with the same unlock code error. I tried connecting the Garmin device and then clicking on 'Unlock Online'. Though the product id and Sl Number of the device matched, the unlock code was not matching.

What is the unlock code? I see several lines when the 'info' button' is pressed on the Gmap tool. I tried the last 3 lines, but none worked.
Don't use the "Unlock online" option. Simply go to the other tab on this box which reads "Unlock Regions", click "Add" and paste the unlock code in the first dialogue box. The unlock code consists of 25 alpha-numeric characters (you can get this from the gmap tool).
nkapoor777 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2011, 11:32   #1893
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post

Can you PM me the output of Info? One of these three should have worked. You can try doing that after removing the device.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
Don't use the "Unlock online" option. Simply go to the other tab on this box which reads "Unlock Regions", click "Add" and paste the unlock code in the first dialogue box. The unlock code consists of 25 alpha-numeric characters (you can get this from the gmap tool).
Thanks guys. I followed the advice of using the 'Unlock Regions' and it looks like it worked. I am no longer getting that message to unlock the Satnav maps.

So the next steps I preseume are the connect the device and then use the transfer option on MapSource with 'Receive from Device' selected?

I don't see anything as of now in MapSource without the device connected.
Old 13th April 2011, 11:46   #1894
Senior - BHPian

Try finding some place without the device connected. Does that work?
Old 13th April 2011, 13:30   #1895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Try finding some place without the device connected. Does that work?
Yes, now it works. I clicked on the Find menu and then on 'Find nearest places'. Somehow I was taken to a view of NH5 near Srikakulam.

Then using Zoom out function and scrolling around, i was able to reach Hyderabad.

So is this map that I see emerge from my Satnav SD card in the Garmin unit? I need to explore more to get familiar.

Thanks a ton for your patient guidance.
Old 13th April 2011, 14:11   #1896
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So is this map that I see emerge from my Satnav SD card in the Garmin unit? I need to explore more to get familiar.
Yaa its the same map. Now you should be able to plan route and add your own trackpoints etc. These can exported to device as well.
Old 14th April 2011, 13:18   #1897
BHPian

has anyone used Polestar Navigator with Navteq loaded on it ? If Yes, please share your feedback. Thanks
Old 15th April 2011, 14:39   #1898

Any one facing battery problem with MapMyIndia Vx240. I got the unit in July last year. I am facing problems like
- erratic battery life (sometimes the unit works for 10 mins sometimes for 30 mins),
- charging problem (the unit never charges fully)

Any help will be appreciated.
Old 15th April 2011, 14:59   #1899
BHPian

I planning to buy a smartphone. One of my main purpose would be navigation.

I planning to buy

1) Nokia E7 or
2) Samsung Galaxy S2

If Nokia I think I can download Navteq maps from ovi.maps and for samsung galaxy s2 it comes with Andriod 2.3 I guess it uses google maps.

1) Please confirm which is the best for navigation Samsung Galaxy S2 with google map or Nokia E7 with Navteq maps.

2) Can I also load MMI on both phones ?

Last edited by ranjith.rajaram : 15th April 2011 at 15:01.
Old 15th April 2011, 15:29   #1900
Senior - BHPian

Go with Galaxy S2. More navigation options are available on Android (as compared to E7).

S2 uses google maps, but you can install Mapmyindia for 2k
Old 15th April 2011, 15:46   #1901
BHPian

Quote:
S2 uses google maps, but you can install Mapmyindia for 2k
Does this mean I can't install MMI on a symbian ?

Thanks for the response, even I love the galaxy s2 (4.3" inch screen).
Old 15th April 2011, 15:52   #1902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjith.rajaram View Post

Thanks for the response, even I love the galaxy s2 (4.3" inch screen).
Android has more navigation options like Ndrive, Sygic, etc with others joining in too. Sygic with MMI is available for Symbian too but not sure how long Symbian will be supported by Nokia. Galaxy S2 is a way better phone than the E7 though.
Old 15th April 2011, 16:03   #1903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjith.rajaram View Post
For now, you can install it on Symbian. But that version is not well supported.
Old 15th April 2011, 16:12   #1904
BHPian

Great Thanks Newpunter & NetfreakBombay . Sounds like Android has won the battle. I will wait for galaxy s2 launch till then. My research tells me it might be launced by May end in India.
Old 15th April 2011, 16:21   #1905
BHPian

Netfreakbombay: Buddy, can you help in converting google maps to format accessible by garmin?

I have tried tools like gpsbabel and gps2kml but I am still not able to convert any kml to .gpx formats. The tools do the job but when I open the converted .gpx files in mapsource I cant see anything.

Any pointers in fixing this issue would be very helpful.

Cheers
f1fan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks