Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2011, 15:16   #1921
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

@Netfreak - Just checked up with dealers in mumbai. Price for Garmin 215 is 10K. With the 4K price difference, this looks like a much better deal. May finally go for either this or the MMI roadpilot.
Old 20th April 2011, 15:35   #1922
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Can anyone confirm if the Garmin units are sold in Pune or I need to source them from Mumbai?
what version of maps need to be loaded?
does the GPS work in rural areas too? sorry but this one is more out of ignorance

Last edited by selfdrive : 20th April 2011 at 15:36.
Old 20th April 2011, 15:56   #1923
BHPian

The India prices are definitely costlier

Nuvi 215 - 9500
Nuvi 1360 - 12500
Nuvi 1460 - 15500

If you compare one of them e.g. 1360 with 1390 available on amazon @ exchange rate of 45, it comes to around 12.5K (India) v/s 6.5K (US)

Too high a difference.
Old 20th April 2011, 16:10   #1924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
@Netfreak - Just checked up with dealers in mumbai. Price for Garmin 215 is 10K. With the 4K price difference, this looks like a much better deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
The India prices are definitely costlier

Nuvi 215 - 9500...
Too high a difference.
Yes at these prices, makes sense to buy from US.

Called Electronik Lab (Garmin's primary dealer) yesterday. Was quoted 6k for 215.
Old 20th April 2011, 21:34   #1925
R_R
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Garmin is not available in India at similar prices. Garmin 215 costs approx 6k and you get 1 year free map updates.
Am sorry, but can't seem to find the 1 year free update offer anywhere on their site . . .?

I think Garmin India should be a good deal if the update covers the reported December map update since the device themselves are reported to be better than the MMI PNDs, and about the same cost-wise to importing Garmin and buying MMI maps for them.

R_R
Old 21st April 2011, 16:03   #1926
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, where have you mounted your standalone GPS units?
I have a MMI vx1xx something.
Problem is, i dont want to mount it on the windscreen, because i find it distracting when not in use.
if i mount it anywhere inside, then it doesnt get a gps lock.
could you share any information about mounting methods(no pun in ten did), and if its possible to have an external antenna for MMI products?
Old 21st April 2011, 16:14   #1927
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I have a MMI vx1xx something.
Problem is, i dont want to mount it on the windscreen, because i find it distracting when not in use.
if i mount it anywhere inside, then it doesnt get a gps lock.
could you share any information about mounting methods(no pun in ten did), and if its possible to have an external antenna for MMI products?

Why is a mount point in the dead centre of windscreen distracting? You can remove it when you dont need it. Its a suction cup no?

--Ragul
Old 21st April 2011, 16:20   #1928
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Why is a mount point in the dead centre of windscreen distracting? You can remove it when you dont need it. Its a suction cup no?

--Ragul
Yup, it is a suction cup, but i'd rather not have it there on the screen, and go through the rigmarole of taking it off/putting i back on.
would be easier if it could be located somewhere on the dash, out of sight.plus,dont trust gurgaon parkings.
Just a personal preference.

otherwise, is there any option of trading it in for their stereo add-on, where it uses the cars HU for displaying maps?
Old 21st April 2011, 16:44   #1929
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I use this: Amazon.com: Garmin Portable Friction Mount: Electronics
Old 21st April 2011, 16:46   #1930
Team-BHP Support

I use the dashboard.
Most GPS units come with a circular plate which can be stuck to your dash. Then you can simply put your suction cup on this plate.
In India, when you buy mobile phone holders, they come with this plate.

Alternatively, you can use a mobile phone holder to hold your GPS, and the mobile phone holder can be latched on to AC vents(you lose some airflow though)
Old 21st April 2011, 16:59   #1931
J.Ravi

Quote:
After trying various places, this has become my favourite position of mounting my MMI Lx130. At this position, connectivity is always ensured. Whenever I park my Linea, I take out only my GPS. The suction mount stays on this position always as a permanent resident.
The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-mmi.jpg

Last edited by J.Ravi : 21st April 2011 at 17:02.

Old 21st April 2011, 17:08   #1932
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I like this.i'll definitely give it a go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I use the dashboard.
Most GPS units come with a circular plate which can be stuck to your dash. Then you can simply put your suction cup on this plate.
oops, i suppose?
i DID get this plate, but never used it earlier, and now its gone missing.
this seems good, if it can manage to stay on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
After trying various places, I have selected this is as my favourite position of mounting my MMI Lx130.
I did try this, but in the fiesta, it ended up bang in my face, and at night it wasnt a comfortable spot.

Thanks guys.

PS:does anybody know anything about an externl GPS antenna for MMI products?
Old 22nd April 2011, 13:24   #1933
BHPian

Bought a Garmin Nuvi 215 yesterday. Source - Elektronik Labs, Byculla / Lalbaugh, Mumbai. Price - 7700.00. The best price by far for nuvi 215 offered by anyone. Every other dealer in mumbai was quoting nothing less than 9.5-10 K.

The unit came preloaded with Navteq maps. Used them for a nights drive around in mumbai. Initial impression of the maps detailing - Reasonable. Searching / locating your desired destinations seems to be a bit time consuming. No problem with the Satellites locking though. Very prompt.

Anyone else with experience of Navteq maps?
Old 22nd April 2011, 21:00   #1934
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys, I have a noob query.

I got my Garmin Nuvi 265W today. But I dont have any maps yet. Just to check if it works, I put in some maps from openstreetmap. The maps are divided into 3 sections, Delhi section, Mumbai Section and Bengaluru section.
Question is, can I rename one of them (Say, the mumbai map) to gmapsupp.img and start using it ? I guess its non routable.
Or..Can I retain the existing names like 6xxxx.img and add an entry to the GarminDevice.xml file ? Will it work ? Or can there be only 1 supplemental map on the device ?
Also, is there any way I can merge those 3 files ? Say, with 0 % compression zipping and then renaming again to .img ?

Can I edit the xml file with this ?

<DataType>
<Name>SupplementalMaps</Name>
<File>
<Specification>
<Identifier>IMG</Identifier>
</Specification>
<Location>
<Path>Garmin</Path>
<BaseName>63240610</BaseName> /*replaced gmasupp with this*/
<FileExtension>img</FileExtension>
</Location>
<TransferDirection>InputOutput</TransferDirection>
</File>
</DataType>
Old 22nd April 2011, 22:18   #1935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
I got my Garmin Nuvi 265W today. But I dont have any maps yet. Just to check if it works, I put in some maps from openstreetmap. The maps are divided into 3 sections, Delhi section, Mumbai Section and Bengaluru section.
Question is, can I rename one of them (Say, the mumbai map) to gmapsupp.img and start using it ? I guess its non routable.
Well, the map is routable. Just for fun's sake, I decided to enter the medical shop name outside my home..and lo...it showed me the same! Maps are quite good, especially if you consider they are free maps.

I downloaded them from : http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks