Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2011, 15:59   #1936
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

A friend of mine brought me a Garmin nüvi 265W/265WT 4.3-Inch Widescreen Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator with Traffic from USA.

I ordered a SatGuide for Garmin PNDs with 1 GB Micro SD Card. I went and bought a adaptor for Micro SD to SD card.

Now, to get it to work here in Bangalore, what am I to do? Do I need to do anything after insering the micro SD card with the adaptor? I am really lost here.
Old 24th April 2011, 18:21   #1937
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
A friend of mine brought me a Garmin nüvi 265W/265WT 4.3-Inch Widescreen Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator with Traffic from USA.

I ordered a SatGuide for Garmin PNDs with 1 GB Micro SD Card. I went and bought a adaptor for Micro SD to SD card.

Now, to get it to work here in Bangalore, what am I to do? Do I need to do anything after insering the micro SD card with the adaptor? I am really lost here.
I let the guy in the Satnav office configure mine. I recall that he changed the country to India and state to AP and city to Hyderabad using the Menu option.

When he first tried, India did not figure in the list of countries. So he inserted another SD card adapter to get that to figure in the list of countries.

Get your adapter checked.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2011, 18:24   #1938
Senior - BHPian

Nothing more, @funkykar, just insert the SD card and you are good to go. Once unit is switched on, the India map should appear in the Maps list (I think that comes under Settings > About or somewhere like that).
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2011, 20:15   #1939
Senior - BHPian

Is there a way to find out if the device is detecting the Micro SD card properly. I browsed through most of the menus and closest I could get to what DerAlte asked to check was at Tools/Settings/Map/Map Info. Here I see "[1] US & Canada". I dont see any options to add/edit this.
Old 24th April 2011, 20:24   #1940
Senior - BHPian

If the SD card is detected, the India map (the exact name will be as per what SatGuide has put in) will be listed in the Map Info list. This list is not editable - the software shows what it is able to sense.

Try to read the SD card (in the adapter) on a PC/laptop. If the card is working, you should see 2 files - "gmapsupp.img" and "gmapsupp.unl". If you don't see these, call up the SatGuide support.

The other way is to connect the Garmin unit to the PC via USB. The unit should map to 2 drives - one for the main unit, and the other for the SD card. If the files are showing up, then everything is fine.
Old 24th April 2011, 20:29   #1941
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here I see "[1] US & Canada". I dont see any options to add/edit this.

Same isssue as I had faced initially.Looks like your adapter is faulty. Try with a new one and you should be able to see India also.

Unlike what DerAlte has stated, I remember that the Satnav rep had to change the country to India first. I am not sure if this is due to the fact that I had used the Garmin in the US before.
I then took it to the rooftop for a satellite lock.
Old 24th April 2011, 21:18   #1942
Senior - BHPian

I will try connecting to the PC (dont have the data cable as of now) tomorrow and check for the files. If the adaptor is bad, and if I can find a SD card, would copying the files from micro SD work?
Old 25th April 2011, 00:03   #1943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If the adaptor is bad, and if I can find a SD card, would copying the files from micro SD work?
No. Maps are tied to a particular SD / MicroSD card and would not work on other cards.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2011, 17:08   #1944
BHPian

Experts - I've searched in this thread and haven't found answers yet so looking at advice on following:

What I have : Samsung Galaxy Fit smart phone
What it has : GPS, AGPS capabilites, MicroSD slot, Android, wi-fi connectivity
What I know : gmaps works with an always on GPRS connection to download the maps. GPS location is overlaid on these maps. If wi-fi connectivity is setup, GPRS takes a back-seat and internet content is downloaded over the wi-fi.
What I desire: Always available map overlays, say for western India. I do not want to use GPRS at all. GPS location (with lock-on delay) should work with these maps.

What options do I have in terms of any open-source maps that can be installed on the phone? Or is using SD card mandatory? Can I still use remaining space on a 8GB SD card for music/pictures?

Maps for purchase - What options and at what price? Is navigation included in this purchase.

Thanks in advance.
Old 25th April 2011, 17:13   #1945
Senior - BHPian

Buy MMI's maps for Andoid. It would cost 2k.

Sygic GPS Mobile Navigation Maps For Android Mobile Phones

It would include offline maps + navigation.
Old 25th April 2011, 17:18   #1946
Distinguished - BHPian

does it(phone MMI maps) provide voice guidance and auto rerouting?

Edit:ok, nullify first query, i think voice guidance is available(?), but rerouting?

Last edited by mayankk : 25th April 2011 at 17:20.
Old 25th April 2011, 17:30   #1947
Senior - BHPian

yes, it re-routes if you choose a different route or miss a turn.

Actually MMI just provides Map data. Software is by Sygic. Sygic, car navigation for iPhone, Android, Maemo, Symbian, Windows Mobile and Linux mobile devices
Old 25th April 2011, 17:32   #1948
Senior - BHPian

Bought Garmin nuvi 215T last week and extremely satisfied with the device

Thanks to the instructions posted in #1873

I am now able to view all the details of trip made.

PS. There are a few nifty tricks with nuvi 215 which are not listed on the documents but are worth of interest to many which I would like to share here

Googling around and came up with this and it really works

1. Garmin Nuvi GPS Tricks, Tips, Work Arounds, Hints, Secrets and Ideas -- Page 4

2. How to record a track and playback

Garmin Nuvi 200 Track Hack*|*NerdBoys

After step no.4 on Garmin Nuvi 215T

Press Next ->next->next->next (4time) and then press down arrow..

It will present you with a small camera on the LHS side of the screen.
Press the arrow to start/stop recording/playback

3. Nifty details on SNR. Press the battery indicator for atleast 8 seconds on the screen

Hope this helps

Will try to post pics soon

Rahulk76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2011, 17:44   #1949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
What options do I have in terms of any open-source maps that can be installed on the phone? Or is using SD card mandatory? Can I still use remaining space on a 8GB SD card for music/pictures?
@NetfreakBombay - Thanks for the MMI info. Referring to above, are you aware of any options? I would like to try out any opensource stuff available (without navigation, if that's the case) before shelling out 2K for MMI.
Old 25th April 2011, 17:53   #1950
Senior - BHPian

Try this from Android Market :

market://search?q=pname:org.andnav2

This is Open Source and uses Data from Open Street.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks