Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2011, 14:43   #1981
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
You can buy MapMyIndia/Satguide/Garmin (and other) software for iPhone 4 itself. Your cell already has a decent sized screen and you can install software that would work wihtout GPRs / 3G. This software would keep map data (approx 250 MB) on phone itself, so GRPS would not be required.
Cost would be 2 - 4k.
Thanks NetFreakBombay
Has anyone does this and what is the feedback for this solution? Would I require to buy the maps separately (in this case the cost would go up a little more)?
I guess with a separate GPS unit I will be able to use it on different cars. If I buy the software/ maps for the iphone, it will be restricted for use only till I use this device and I will have to pay again when I change my phone. Nevertheless, I will still verify the details
For a separate unit, which one would you recommend? I do not want to make calls etc through it, if it adds too much to the costs
Old 18th May 2011, 15:10   #1982
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Apparently TomTom will be launching it's products in India this Diwali. They have been working on developing a navigation database for India for the last few years. Test units have been given out to selected people for accumulating experience feedback.
Old 18th May 2011, 15:30   #1983
BHPian

Thats good news! Hope competition drives down the prices further.
Old 18th May 2011, 15:37   #1984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Would I require to buy the maps separately (in this case the cost would go up a little more)?
No, cost includes maps of India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
For a separate unit, which one would you recommend? I do not want to make calls etc through it, if it adds too much to the costs
I would recommend Garmin. It start from 7k for Unit and Garmin maps. Details of the units are:
Garmin India | Products | On The Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljai View Post
Hope competition drives down the prices further.
+1
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2011, 15:51   #1985
BHPian

Got an SMS that Satguide launches 4.3 Navi @ Rs 6490

Any reviews on that?
Old 19th May 2011, 09:55   #1986
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
I've almost finalized getting a nuvi 265W from amazon @ $120.
BestBuy has an offer for 255W for $90. Check here: Garmin - nüvi 255W GPS - NUVI 255W
Old 19th May 2011, 14:06   #1987
BHPian

I followed the advice by NetfreakBombay and installed the Mapsource and the Gmaptool etc. After a few hours spent on this, I found that Mapsource still says the Garmin maps are locked. I followed the Unlock Map online route and the Garmin site unlocked the map ( it says Success Map Unlocked), mapsource doesn't show the map.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 215T.
How does one unlock the map ?
Old 19th May 2011, 15:39   #1988
Team-BHP Support

You should not unlock online. As NFB suggested, after you run gmaptool, it would have broken the garmin maps into multiple files in the same directory. It would also have dumped an unl file. That file will have the code. Add this code in Mapsource you should see the maps unlocked and would be able to view it.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2011, 16:41   #1989
BHPian

Quote:
It does. But you might have to bump up the cost beyond 200 to get Junction view, lane assist (+ reasonable CPU/RAM).
Nuvi 1690 would be available for approx USD 150 more or less from amazon. 1390/1490 are both available for USD 135. If lane assist is indeed available, it makes a lot of sense to get these (me thinks). The only reported problem is that the so called free traffic updates are free because of the ads displayed intermittently. Even if people turn off the traffic feature, the ads continue to popup. I was wondering how the ads would be shown here in India. I mean how are they transmitted to the PND device itself?
Old 19th May 2011, 21:12   #1990
Senior - BHPian

Live features of 1XX0 series would not work in India. You need a device which performs these functions (E.g. Lane assist) in "offline" mode.

Reason is, that series has built-in AT&T connection to receive live data which would not be available in India. It downloads junction view from network.

Even in US, there is an yearly charge (I guess $50) to use AT&T network for these features. Charges for first one or two years are included in unit price.

2X5 series (255 265W et el) does not require AT&T.
Old 19th May 2011, 21:59   #1991
Distinguished - BHPian

I am planning on a Navigation unit .I have zeroed onto MMI ZX150.Wanted to know if any of the members here have got feedback on it.Would be more than happy if you guys suggest other alternatives too.Main requirement is big screen size(5 Inch).Nothing less than that.The MMI ZX150 costs around 17.5K.Any unit from garmin around that prince range with 5 inch screen.Also how are the Garmin maps compared to MMI WRT to details,hardware reliability,user friendliness?

I have a samsung galaxy S.Is it possible to buy maps from MMI or garmin and use it flawlessly on my phone?

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 19th May 2011 at 22:00.
Old 20th May 2011, 01:47   #1992
Senior - BHPian

You can buy Maps for your phone from MMI. It would cost approx 2k.

Otherwise, I would suggest buying a Garmin unit. Cost of unit + maps would be less than 17k. You can call dealers listed on Garmin India site for details.
Old 20th May 2011, 12:11   #1993
BHPian

Quote:
Live features of 1XX0 series would not work in India. You need a device which performs these functions (E.g. Lane assist) in "offline" mode.

Reason is, that series has built-in AT&T connection to receive live data which would not be available in India. It downloads junction view from network.

Even in US, there is an yearly charge (I guess $50) to use AT&T network for these features. Charges for first one or two years are included in unit price.

2X5 series (255 265W et el) does not require AT&T.
Now I'm really confused - you'd mentioned in one of your previous post that lane assist can work in India. Which unit should I look at if I want to use lane assist in India without and 'live' connection? The 2x5 does not have lane assist.
Old 20th May 2011, 13:00   #1994
BHPian

Thanks Ampere. I unlocked using the data in the unl file. It shows only parts of Andhra now. Not the entire India. How do I load other segments of the map ?
Old 20th May 2011, 23:33   #1995
Senior - BHPian

I made good use of my Garmin Nuvi 265 WT on my recent trip to Munnar and Kodai via Bangalore. I used rail and road transport, and not my car.

I must say I'm pretty impressed with the accuracy of Satguide at all the places I visited---it was around 95% accurate. It also worked well on my return trip this morning by Rajdhani Express, though the unit must have gone crazy with several recalcuations--it did not know that the train would use its own course and not take turns it suggested from time to time

The only errors I noticed was a small stretch between Kodai and Vattikonda Jn (don't exactly remember the name), where the unit indicated that the bus was going through fields. Further, the POI's listed did not indicate HDFC atm when I searched for it, but later I found a full-fledged bank with ATM right next to the Kodai bus stand.

Since I did not use my car, nor did I carry my laptop, I used my Motorla Razr's charger to charge the unit from electrical sockets in the hotels I stayed in.

My brother and B.I.L. were really amazed by the unit, as they'd never seen one so far.

Last edited by vnabhi : 20th May 2011 at 23:37.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks