Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2011, 09:33   #2056
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
dkaile,

which android navigation app is that and what is your handset model ? How long does it take to get a GPS lock ?
I use multiple navigation softwares. I like Google Navigation (its different from Google Maps) but somehow in India couldn't get it's voice guidance system to work. Works very well though. The other software you are seeing is NDrive with complete India maps, with voice guided turn by turn navigation and its offline (i.e. doesnt use data, so no data charges on phone). Best of all its hacked free

Now you can follow our android offline maps topic here, where my friends have just chopped another great software for free (better than Ndrive) - Offline Navigation Softwares For Android - Reliance Mobile (CDMA & GSM) - Discussion Forums - Page 8

Follow that topic for many great choices in offline navigation for android phones working completely free (made to) so no fleecing by these companies.

My phone is imported from US and its called Samsung EPIC 4G (in cdma, and not available off the shelf in India, hacked to work on Reliance cdma). Its similar to Galaxy S or S2 variant now available in GSM in India. My topic on my phone is here - Sprint Samsung Epic 4G - The Beast Is Here! - Reliance Mobile (CDMA & GSM) - Discussion Forums

It takes less than a minute to get a gps lock when in my car or outdoors.

Last edited by dkaile : 23rd June 2011 at 09:37.
dkaile is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2011, 09:41   #2057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Tried the Google maps from the offspring's Samsung mobile. Not very thrilled.
A bigger screen (min. 4") on the phone is essential to really enjoy GPS navigation on the phone. A good car dock for the phone is also necessary. And a proper (hacked ) software is most essential for voice guided navigation to enjoy all this navigation for free. Then it works very similar to a dedicated GPS device without spending the moolah.
Old 23rd June 2011, 09:48   #2058
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
A bigger screen (min. 4") on the phone is essential to really enjoy GPS navigation on the phone. A good car dock for the phone is also necessary. And a proper (hacked ) software is most essential for voice guided navigation to enjoy all this navigation for free. Then it works very similar to a dedicated GPS device without spending the moolah.
Hi dkaile,
Thanks. Will have a dekko at the MMI stuff and then see how things progress.
Will have the back up possibly in this form.
Old 23rd June 2011, 10:11   #2059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Will have a dekko at the MMI stuff and then see how things progress.
Will have the back up possibly in this form.
To be very frank General, nothing beats the pleasure of having an in-dash touch screen voice guided navigation system replacing the original ICE system. The MMI system that I told you about is perfect. Though it is very surprising to note that they have not listed the same on their website. When I called their customer-care and asked, they said its newly launched and hence not shown on their website. But high cost and wastage of the original system is a factor.
Old 24th June 2011, 11:44   #2060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. To be very frank General, nothing beats the pleasure of having an in-dash touch screen voice guided navigation system replacing the original.

2. But high cost and wastage of the original system is a factor.
Hi dkaile,
Thanks.
1. Completely agree with you. Would have loved to have it that way.

2. But then this (2 ) is what bothered me ! The total waste of the original system.
And also the fact that I really like to keep my vehicle as stock as possible.
Not to forget that my experience with after market fitments have always been poor. There has/have always been a problem or two once the original fitment has been tampered with - so a big put off for me. And hence the look around for a stand alone piece.
Old 25th June 2011, 00:00   #2061

Quote:
To be very frank General, nothing beats the pleasure of having an in-dash touch screen voice guided navigation system replacing the original ICE system. The MMI system that I told you about is perfect. Though it is very surprising to note that they have not listed the same on their website. When I called their customer-care and asked, they said its newly launched and hence not shown on their website. But high cost and wastage of the original system is a factor.

"Waze" on android is an excellent navigation software, its free and can feed you with live information on traffic and other road hazards.... (it gets the info from other people using it )
Old 27th June 2011, 10:26   #2062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I use multiple navigation softwares. I like Google Navigation (its different from Google Maps) but somehow in India couldn't get it's voice guidance system to work. Works very well though. The other software you are seeing is NDrive with complete India maps, with voice guided turn by turn navigation and its offline (i.e. doesnt use data, so no data charges on phone). Best of all its hacked free

Now you can follow our android offline maps topic here, where my friends have just chopped another great software for free (better than Ndrive) - Offline Navigation Softwares For Android - Reliance Mobile (CDMA & GSM) - Discussion Forums - Page 8

Follow that topic for many great choices in offline navigation for android phones working completely free (made to) so no fleecing by these companies.

My phone is imported from US and its called Samsung EPIC 4G (in cdma, and not available off the shelf in India, hacked to work on Reliance cdma). Its similar to Galaxy S or S2 variant now available in GSM in India. My topic on my phone is here - Sprint Samsung Epic 4G - The Beast Is Here! - Reliance Mobile (CDMA & GSM) - Discussion Forums

It takes less than a minute to get a gps lock when in my car or outdoors.
I have installed the sygic maps as instructed but it doesn't show me india maps in the available list and india maps are not available for download as well. Could you help me out ?
Old 27th June 2011, 10:54   #2063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have installed the sygic maps as instructed but it doesn't show me india maps in the available list and india maps are not available for download as well. Could you help me out ?
Try this link - Offline Navigation Softwares For Android - Reliance Mobile (CDMA & GSM) - Discussion Forums - Page 10

Procedure for installation and using crack is similar to this one here - Offline Navigation Softwares For Android - Reliance Mobile (CDMA & GSM) - Discussion Forums - Page 6
and also similar to this one here - Offline Navigation Softwares For Android - Reliance Mobile (CDMA & GSM) - Discussion Forums

MMI Maps procedure over here - Offline Navigation Softwares For Android - Reliance Mobile (CDMA & GSM) - Discussion Forums - Page 4

Google Maps link with voice navigation for India - Offline Navigation Softwares For Android - Reliance Mobile (CDMA & GSM) - Discussion Forums - Page 10
dkaile is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2011, 13:03   #2064
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Planning to buy a stanalone GPS for my car.
I Have shortlisted few models:
MMI VX 140S Price quoted Rs 9600
MMI VX 240 Price quoted Rs 14000
MMI Reverse Camera (works with VX240) Rs 1800

Visited CROMA they have 2 Models of Satguide
1. Satguide Moov 560 Screen 4.3 inches Rs 4995
2. Satguide Moov 200 PND Screen size 3 Inches Rs 6495

I am confused between MMI & Satguide.
Please advise which one to buy.
Old 2nd July 2011, 13:23   #2065
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.s.r View Post
I am confused between MMI & Satguide.
Please advise which one to buy.
MMI has far better integrated maps than any other provider in India
Old 2nd July 2011, 15:46   #2066
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile

MMI has far better integrated maps than any other provider in India
Any news on MMI for android ?
Did any one try it out ? The price on the website is INR 2.8K
Old 2nd July 2011, 15:57   #2067
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any news on MMI for android ?
Did any one try it out ? The price on the website is INR 2.8K
Refer to my links above; There is detailed MMI maps for android there (for free)
Old 5th July 2011, 09:56   #2068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Refer to my links above; There is detailed MMI maps for android there (for free)
I can't thank you enough, I thanked your post already. But still thank you so much DKAILE ji.
Very useful URLs indeed
Old 5th July 2011, 09:59   #2069
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I can't thank you enough, I thanked your post already. But still thank you so much DKAILE ji.
Very useful URLs indeed
Thank You F150, it was indeed a pleasure to talk to you...
Old 7th July 2011, 12:31   #2070
BHPian

Google Maps for Mobile (Google Maps for mobile) for Android have a lab feature to download the map for a area for offline use.

Very useful for locations where mobile Internet availablability is poor/not available.

- Samdarshi

Most Viewed