Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2011, 09:29   #2101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbnadgir
Normally what is the ideal size of PND? is that 4.3 ? I know its subjective, i want to hear opinion of yours in this regard.
My PND has a 3.5 inch screen.
A few years ago this was the regular size.
Even today i feel it is decent enough.
But the current so called standard today is 4.3 inches.
And if you can stretch your budget by just that little bit. Its better to get a bigger screen in the bargain.
Old 6th August 2011, 09:34   #2102
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Though decent it is not a speck on a full fledged PND.
I disagree mdsaab; I have a 4.3" screen on my android device with full offline sygic maps. Just put the phone into a proper cradle and you are good to go as any 3.5"~5" dedicated device without spending an extra penny. Just my opinion...
Old 6th August 2011, 14:04   #2103
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

It depends on eyesight.

Anybody who needs to use reading glasses would need the biggest screen they can get, if they are to take in any information at a glance. They may still need the specs to read street names etc.

I use my tiny-screen N82 --- but I have to stop, put on glasses... which is tedious. Because of this, I am not spending the money on a pnd which, even if the screen is twice the size, will still require me to stop, put on glasses...

When and if I can afford a pnd with a 7-inch screen, or perhaps an appropriate tablet (though I have no other use for a tablet) then I might buy.
Old 6th August 2011, 14:13   #2104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile
I disagree mdsaab; I have a 4.3" screen on my android device with full offline sygic maps. Just put the phone into a proper cradle and you are good to go as any 3.5"~5" dedicated device without spending an extra penny. Just my opinion...
I was referring to the BB9700.
the android with its bigger touch screen and MMI maps will be as close as possible to a PND.
One issue may be when you get a phone call.
Does the call take priority or the map?
or is there an option for that?
Old 6th August 2011, 14:34   #2105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One issue may be when you get a phone call.
Does the call take priority or the map?
or is there an option for that?
The Call will take the priority and the GPS will stop momentary and will return to the maps after the call. That my be a hindrance to some, those who do not want any disturbance in their maps, but it does save the moolah.

In the end, I could summarize it that for casual navigation, a large screen android phone with both offline and online navigational maps will suffice, as we dont need navigation every time we drive, but for someone needing navigational help every day, a large screen (7"+) dedicated device is the best option.

Last edited by dkaile : 6th August 2011 at 14:36.
Old 6th August 2011, 14:40   #2106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Call will take the priority and the GPS will stop momentary and will return to the maps after the call. That my be a hindrance to some, those who do not want any disturbance in their maps, but it does save the moolah.

In the end, I could summarize it that for casual navigation, a large screen android phone with both offline and online navigational maps will suffice, as we dont need navigation every time we drive, but for someone needing navigational help every day, a large screen (7"+) dedicated device is the best option.
Thanks for the clarification.
But that goes for someone already having an android with a large enough screen. If you do not already own an android. It would set you back by 30K.
Whereas a decent PND with a 4.3 inch screen and bluetooth will set you back by 10K only.
I have an android too. With a 4 inch screen.
But have not bought the MMI maps for it. Because i am happy with the performance of my PND even though the screen is smaller at 3.5 inches.
Old 6th August 2011, 14:51   #2107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab
Thanks for the clarification.
But that goes for someone already having an android with a large enough screen. If you do not already own an android. It would set you back by 30K.
Whereas a decent PND with a 4.3 inch screen and bluetooth will set you back by 10K only.
But have not bought the MMI maps for it. Because i am happy with the performance of my PND even though the screen is smaller at 3.5 inches.
One problem with mapsmyindia is that the maps never get updated. As in if a new version is released you need to buy and cannot upgrade or update. Atleast for mobile maps according to their support.
Old 6th August 2011, 14:56   #2108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Try the Sygic Maps from the links I have given earlier, in your android, and see the difference.
Old 6th August 2011, 15:00   #2109
BHPian

Quote:
Try the Sygic Maps from the links I have given earlier, in your android, and see the difference.
Sygic is mapmyindia right. You get it on Android market and free for 1 week usage. Just downloaded yesterday.
Old 8th August 2011, 14:50   #2110
Senior - BHPian

My first call to a dealer for GPS system enquiry.

The guy I spoke to is a dealer for Garmin devices. Says there are four different models available for navigation that comes with pre-loaded maps (1 yrs free update).

Nuvi 215 - Rs.9,500/- (3.5" screen)
Nuvi 715 - Rs.12,000/- (4.3" screen)
Nuvi 1360 - Rs.14,500/- (4.3" screen)
Nuvi 1460 - Rs.15,500/- (7" screen)

My requirement is primarily for Navigation & BT would be bonus

My budget is in the range of Rs.7.5k - Rs.10K. Hence only option was Nuvi 215. He says that all these were loaded with Navtech maps & there are few old pieces of 215 loaded with Garmin maps were available too, which can be given at the price of Rs.7K

Buy MapmyIndia Navigator : GPS Navigation in India | Portable Navigation Device (PND) with India's best maps

VX140 too falls under this budget with an increase of Rs.3k over Nuvi'215.

Nuvi 215
VX140

Will there be a noticeable quality difference between these equipments & maps?

Edit: Will I be able to find the nearest petrol bunk & hotel for food/stay options with this equipment...I might go for a long trip this month end, hence wanted to explore this device

Edit 1: Is there any better alternative?

Edit 2: Came across the below link

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CLUBEPMCMAU

Device is so cheap there...what would the cost of maps here, so that we load the map in that device & use it

Last edited by Surprise : 8th August 2011 at 15:12.
Old 8th August 2011, 15:34   #2111
Senior - BHPian

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab that I plan on taking to my trip to Spiti. I have loaded it with Sygic Maps (mapmyindia v6.0). Has anyone used it who could guide me how to record my GPS trails?

And is there a software that would continue to record the GPS trails even in background mode? The kind of software that I'm looking for is that lets me name points on the map and add other info if necessary.

Also, is there any other GPS/map software that is must have for road trips?
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2011, 16:43   #2112
R_R
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Nuvi 1460 - Rs.15,500/- (7" screen)
Small correction: Nuvi 1460 has a 5" screen, not a 7" screen.
Garmin India | Products | On The Road | nüvi® 1460 (India)

RR
R_R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2011, 19:18   #2113
Senior - BHPian

1. Garmin nuvi 215 (3.5") with Garmin maps pre-loaded : Rs.7,000/-

2. Garmin nuvi 215 (3.5") with Navtech maps pre-loaded: Rs.9,000/-

3. Map my India Road Pilot (3.5") with 1 yrs free update: Rs.9,240/-

4. Map my India VX 140 (4.3") with 1 yrs free update: Rs.11,240/-

5. Satguide (4.3") with Satguide maps : Rs.6,490/- (Link)

6. Garmin nuvi 1450 (5") or any similar model from US purchase + Satguide maps: Rs.7,500/-

Options 5 and 6 looks fine for me. Request to regular users, please let me know if there are any better alternatives & the choices makes sense. My requirement is a basic equipment with robust navigating maps

Last edited by Surprise : 8th August 2011 at 19:22.
Old 8th August 2011, 19:47   #2114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Request to regular users, please let me know if there are any better alternatives & the choices makes sense. My requirement is a basic equipment with robust navigating maps
I am a Garmin user and I guess most GPS units (hardware) in the market are stable. But maps (software) depends on the coverage. I have not tried Satuide. Between MMI & Garmin, MMI has better coverage for India. Maps are updated frequently (say every quarter). The latest maps have better coverage but it can never be perfect.

For choosing hardware, I suggest to visit https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=133 site, mark all features important to you, check the price & buy. Buying in US will be almost 1/3rd cheaper for the same unit.

Last edited by msdivy : 8th August 2011 at 19:50.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2011, 20:06   #2115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
But maps (software) depends on the coverage. I have not tried Satuide. Between MMI & Garmin, MMI has better coverage for India. Maps are updated frequently (say every quarter). The latest maps have better coverage but it can never be perfect.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=64339

The above product suits my budget - Rs.7-7.5K. I guess MMI maps are very costly...any indication on that, if I buy the maps alone. How about the satguide maps?
---

But a similar sized screen available locally at lesser costs

<5. Satguide (4.3") with Satguide maps : Rs.6,490/- (Link)>

Tech specifications of PND is mentioned in one of the FAQ. Even if the maps are not pre-loaded, I guess it would cost somewhere around Rs.1k. Any inputs on this particular model? This way, I guess, I can place my hands immediately

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks