Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2011, 20:42   #2116
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Hi,

Map my India'sVx140 costs Rs 9990/-. It comes with 4.3" display, bluetooth. I bought it on 6.8.2011 and is working fine.
Old 8th August 2011, 21:37   #2117
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

I wanted to post on an interesting revelation yesterday, when the Hyd team-bhpians drove down to Nagarjuna Sagar for an outing.

Most of us were using Google maps and Latitude on our smart phones. The funny episode is that my andriod showed me slightly ahead of another member, who uses a Blackberry. But actually i was sitting in the rear seat of his car!

It also showed mobike008 as far behind me, though he was just ahead of us. I guess Blackberries dont sync in time with Google maps as fast as Andriod phones. Or perhaps it is the other way round?
Old 8th August 2011, 22:27   #2118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi
I wanted to post on an interesting revelation yesterday, when the Hyd team-bhpians drove down to Nagarjuna Sagar for an outing.

Most of us were using Google maps and Latitude on our smart phones. The funny episode is that my andriod showed me slightly ahead of another member, who uses a Blackberry. But actually i was sitting in the rear seat of his car!

It also showed mobike008 as far behind me, though he was just ahead of us. I guess Blackberries dont sync in time with Google maps as fast as Andriod phones. Or perhaps it is the other way round?
Did the Blackberry have AGPS? Usually the accuracy of Blackberry 8520 which has no GPS is low as it uses cellphone towers for location tracking.
Old 9th August 2011, 00:02   #2119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Did the Blackberry have AGPS? Usually the accuracy of Blackberry 8520 which has no GPS is low as it uses cellphone towers for location tracking.
No, both the BlackBerries vnabhi is referring to have dedicated GPS radios. The one in the same car was Bold 9700 on TataDocomo and mobike008's is Torch 9800 on Airtel.
Old 9th August 2011, 00:28   #2120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
My first call to a dealer for GPS system enquiry.

The guy I spoke to is a dealer for Garmin devices. Says there are four different models available for navigation that comes with pre-loaded maps (1 yrs free update).

Nuvi 215 - Rs.9,500/- (3.5" screen)
Nuvi 715 - Rs.12,000/- (4.3" screen)
Nuvi 1360 - Rs.14,500/- (4.3" screen)
Nuvi 1460 - Rs.15,500/- (7" screen)

My requirement is primarily for Navigation & BT would be bonus

My budget is in the range of Rs.7.5k - Rs.10K. Hence only option was Nuvi 215. He says that all these were loaded with Navtech maps & there are few old pieces of 215 loaded with Garmin maps were available too, which can be given at the price of Rs.7K

Buy MapmyIndia Navigator : GPS Navigation in India | Portable Navigation Device (PND) with India's best maps

VX140 too falls under this budget with an increase of Rs.3k over Nuvi'215.

Nuvi 215
VX140

Will there be a noticeable quality difference between these equipments & maps?

Edit: Will I be able to find the nearest petrol bunk & hotel for food/stay options with this equipment...I might go for a long trip this month end, hence wanted to explore this device

Edit 1: Is there any better alternative?
In most cases a PND is only as good as it's maps.
In India IMHO i would say that MMI have the best maps.
I would highly recommend the vx140s from MMI.
It costs Rs. 9,990/-
Has a good sized 4.3 inch screen.
Comes with bluetooth too.
It's a very good package at a really good price tag.
IMHO this is the one you should lay your money on.

Also have been using MMI for a couple of years now.
Have had no issues with it. and am really satisfied with the product and the maps too.
Good luck with your purchase.
Old 9th August 2011, 10:13   #2121
Senior - BHPian

Today I was able to track my GPS trail from home to office on my samsung galaxy tab. I used Oruxmaps and offline Openstreetmap. My tab didn't have a SIM card in it and the way the track was mapped was extremely accurate.

However, now I want to extract the information from the track i.e. average speed, time, distance etc. that was shown during the drive but unable to find out any info on how to do it. Has it been saved anywhere as .gpx file, how do I figure it out?

Last edited by fine69 : 9th August 2011 at 10:26.
Old 9th August 2011, 10:45   #2122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Today I was able to track my GPS trail from home to office on my samsung galaxy tab. I used Oruxmaps and offline Openstreetmap. My tab didn't have a SIM card in it and the way the track was mapped was extremely accurate.

However, now I want to extract the information from the track i.e. average speed, time, distance etc. that was shown during the drive but unable to find out any info on how to do it. Has it been saved anywhere as .gpx file, how do I figure it out?
The track should be saved somewhere on your tab.
Check the settings of the software you used.
Under the track option there will probably be a path to where all the tracks are saved. You can then open it from the saved folder.
Old 9th August 2011, 10:48   #2123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
In most cases a PND is only as good as it's maps.
In India IMHO i would say that MMI have the best maps.
I would highly recommend the vx140s from MMI.
It costs Rs. 9,990/-
Has a good sized 4.3 inch screen.
Comes with bluetooth too.
It's a very good package at a really good price tag.
IMHO this is the one you should lay your money on.

Also have been using MMI for a couple of years now.
Have had no issues with it. and am really satisfied with the product and the maps too.
Good luck with your purchase.
woud you know if wisepilot uses MMI maps?
ive found it quite good, at least within delhi.
havent taken it ouside yet.
Old 9th August 2011, 10:56   #2124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
The track should be saved somewhere on your tab.
Check the settings of the software you used.
Under the track option there will probably be a path to where all the tracks are saved. You can then open it from the saved folder.
I just figured everything out a minute back. The track is initially saved on the tab only however I need to export it as .gpx file and I also got all the statistics that I wanted (avg speed, time, distance, elevation gain/loss, max alt, min alt, max speed, avg moving speed and what not ).

I used utrack @ uTrack - online GPX track report generator (very simple online tool, no download required) to get a report on the laptop however its not as accurate as the one on the tab (I mean it'll work unless there's a better software to get a report out of a .gpx file). However the advantage of the report is that I can now see my track on google maps/earth/satellite etc. utrack gives the option to export the entire file as a .pdf also so its pretty cool unless there's a better software, is there?

And what's the difference between a .gpx and .kml file. Can I get better report out of a .kml file?
Old 9th August 2011, 11:12   #2125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I just figured everything out a minute back. The track is initially saved on the tab only however I need to export it as .gpx file and I also got all the statistics that I wanted (avg speed, time, distance, elevation gain/loss, max alt, min alt, max speed, avg moving speed and what not ).

I used utrack pretty cool unless there's a better software, is there?

And what's the difference between a .gpx and .kml file. Can I get better report out of a .kml file?
Glad you figured it all out. Regarding the second part of your post. I really have no clue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
woud you know if wisepilot uses MMI maps?
ive found it quite good, at least within delhi.
havent taken it ouside yet.
Most of the maps are really good in the City.
Especially the Metro's.
It's on the highway and small towns where they may struggle.
I am not entirely sure what map wisepilot uses. But my guess is that they do not use MMI maps.
Old 9th August 2011, 12:00   #2126
BHPian

MMI maps are quite good for most of the time but I found that their maps in rural AP were really bad. Many major roads were missing or were mapped wrongly. For the cities like Hyderabad or Bangalore or Delhi, they are really good. Also, I have noticed that MMI maps are very accurate in Karnataka even in rural areas and remote towns. AP was the only state where I have faced problems with the MMI maps.

On another note, my wife dropped my Chinese GPS and the screen broke. I have now ordered a replacement screen from the Dealextreme site and am waiting for them to deliver it. Luckily, the replacement module is only available for the 4.3" screen and not for the other sizes.
Old 9th August 2011, 13:25   #2127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilguy View Post
No, both the BlackBerries vnabhi is referring to have dedicated GPS radios. The one in the same car was Bold 9700 on TataDocomo and mobike008's is Torch 9800 on Airtel.
So does AGPS give a more realistic picture, compared to those having dedicated GPS radios?

Someboday's gotta crack this mystery!
Old 9th August 2011, 13:42   #2128
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
So does AGPS give a more realistic picture, compared to those having dedicated GPS radios?

Someboday's gotta crack this mystery!
AGPS simply allows your onboard GPS chip to get signal lock quickly.
After your GPS locks, AGPS ceases to matter.
With all these latitude and wave and all, there is an inherent delay in uploading data to server and then showing it on others machines.
Old 9th August 2011, 13:56   #2129
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Let me add that some older phones (e.g. BB8330) only had AGPS and not true GPS. It used triangulation to compute the location.
Old 9th August 2011, 14:02   #2130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
With all these latitude and wave and all, there is an inherent delay in uploading data to server and then showing it on others machines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Let me add that some older phones (e.g. BB8330) only had AGPS and not true GPS. It used triangulation to compute the location.

Thanks. If I am not mistaken, even my Defy has AGPS. So do you think the accurate position was displayed on my andriod or on the BBs? It looks like BBs always have a slag in their GPS, as even a couple of weeks ago, when I was travelling with MileCruncher, he was figuring behind me on Latitude.

I suppose Andriod being a Google product, syncs up faster with Google Maps.

Most Viewed