Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2011, 08:46   #2161
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Yes; My bad; They have updated their site and it is now showing over there - MapmyIndia Navigator In Dash Car Navi box : With India's best maps and driving directions | Turn-by-turn directions | Travel across India
Old 14th August 2011, 09:07   #2162
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
MMI has started supplying head units directly also, though they are not advertising the same on their site (strange). They are OE units with touchscreen, dvd, BT, GPS, usb, aux in et al like the caskas; I saw one OE unit for a Fortuner with inbuilt GPS and working steering controls; Final price was around 37k only with everything. Rear camera was 1.5k extra; works out much cheaper than the caskas/sonys etc. (model MMI 051168 MRP 45,000/-)
Ref - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2391937
Yes i had mentioned this in one of my posts below too.
The cost for the MMI 2DIN setup is Rs.44,990/-
I think that pretty much brings it up to Caska levels.
But one point i was trying to make is that. These may be Chinese brands, and for those concerned about the quality of such units, may want to go in for a reputed brand like Sony,JVC,Pioneer etc.
and then add on the Navi box for Rs.19,990/-
Old 14th August 2011, 09:10   #2163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
for those concerned about the quality of such units,
Hmmm, you have got me thinking there mdsaab. I think you are right...

edit:
Well @mdsaab, the specs read like this -
  • Fully functional 7 inch Touch screen.
  • Steering Control Support.
  • Virtual CDC.
  • Professional audio system. Supports 5:1 Audio Channel.
  • Fully functional remote control.
  • Preset Equalizer (Nature/Pop/Rock)
  • Reverse Camera input support.
  • Original Factory Wiring Harness and Connector.
It says professional audio system with 5:1 audio channel. I touched the system by hand and it felt well built. Did NOT hear the sound quality, but it comes with MMI's 1 year guarantee and I don't think MMI will launch a inferior quality product seeing their reputation. China makes good products too for all the top brands. Anyways, I am researching more; will keep everyone updated. Thanks for the tip though...

Last edited by dkaile : 14th August 2011 at 09:23.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 11:24   #2164
BHPian

Is there any way to get discounts on Satguide maps. Currently the website's showing it as 12xx/- for Garmin PNDs. I've got myself a Garmin 265W and am really keen to try out some 'budget' maps. MMI maps would cost me more than the device itself ! (7K for maps against 6.5K for Garmin PND). I am interested in maps of Gujarat and Maharashtra more than other states. Is it available at discounted cost or does one buy the One India map itself? Somehow MMI's coverage in Gujarat (especially Surat) is much better than SatNav's. I am assuming Navteq is also in the league of MMI but 7K for maps is a tad too much.

Are Satguide prone to giving discounts near Diwali?
Old 26th August 2011, 21:29   #2165
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

My Garmin Nuvi 205W has suddenly decided to stop recognizing my SatGuide maps! Everything was fine till yesterday but when I switched the unit on today, I could only see the default NAVTEQ maps. In the map settings, I do not see an option to select the SatNev OneIndia maps. Any idea what could be wrong here? I have tried re-inserting the SD card as well as multiple re-starts!
Old 26th August 2011, 23:49   #2166
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Guys,

My Garmin Nuvi 205W has suddenly decided to stop recognizing my SatGuide maps! Everything was fine till yesterday but when I switched the unit on today, I could only see the default NAVTEQ maps. In the map settings, I do not see an option to select the SatNev OneIndia maps. Any idea what could be wrong here? I have tried re-inserting the SD card as well as multiple re-starts!
Anything to do with the SD card getting corrupted?
Does the device recognize the SD card being inserted?

Connect the device to the computer and see if the card is getting detected.
Old 27th August 2011, 18:13   #2167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Anything to do with the SD card getting corrupted?
Does the device recognize the SD card being inserted?

Connect the device to the computer and see if the card is getting detected.
Looks like the unit is not able to detect the SD card - I am unable to see it when I connect the unit to my laptop! Is there are chance that the unit is malfunctioning? Or can I be sure that it is an issue with the micro-SD? I will also try and change the adapter and see if it works.
Old 27th August 2011, 18:26   #2168
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Looks like the unit is not able to detect the SD card - I am unable to see it when I connect the unit to my laptop! Is there are chance that the unit is malfunctioning? Or can I be sure that it is an issue with the micro-SD? I will also try and change the adapter and see if it works.
Try one thing:

- Take a spare SD card. Add some snaps (Take a camera SD card).
- Insert into Garmin
- See if this is detected.
- If not then the device is malfunctioning

I also have a 205W.
Let me also search to see if there is a hardware reset available and we can try that also as an option.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2011, 09:35   #2169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Try one thing:

- Take a spare SD card. Add some snaps (Take a camera SD card).
- Insert into Garmin
- See if this is detected.
- If not then the device is malfunctioning

I also have a 205W.
Let me also search to see if there is a hardware reset available and we can try that also as an option.
My camera SD card is not getting detected when I insert in the unit and plug it into my laptop :( Looks like there is an issue with the unit. What options do I have?
Old 28th August 2011, 09:42   #2170
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My camera SD card is not getting detected when I insert in the unit and plug it into my laptop :( Looks like there is an issue with the unit. What options do I have?
So its basically a device problem.
Now I don't know what more to say. Check with Garmin support through mail and see what they have to tell.

How long its been since you got the device?
Do you use it regularly even for daily commute?
I use mine only for long drives and for times when I don't know some place in Bangalore.

Another Question:
Are you able to see the Garmin device being mounted when connected to PC? (Apart from the SD card)

EDIT: There are also Garmin Forums. (https://forums.garmin.com/)

Last edited by ampere : 28th August 2011 at 09:50.
Old 28th August 2011, 13:47   #2171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So its basically a device problem.
Looks like it! The only other thing I will try out is to get another micro-SD adapter and check again.

Quote:
Check with Garmin support through mail and see what they have to tell.
Will do. There is also a Garmin service center in Bangalore (somewhere in Fraser Town). Will talk to them as well.

Quote:
How long its been since you got the device?
More than a year now. I got it shipped from the US by 20North guys. No issues till now.

Quote:
Do you use it regularly even for daily commute?
Only for long drives, say once a month or so.

Quote:
Are you able to see the Garmin device being mounted when connected to PC? (Apart from the SD card)
Yes - no issues there.

Quote:
EDIT: There are also Garmin Forums. (https://forums.garmin.com/)
Yep - am a member there. Will try and search for some solution.

On a side-note, I have used the Garmin WebUpdater to ensure that I have the latest s/w. No issues there.
Old 29th August 2011, 10:14   #2172
BANNED

Quote:
Many phones have to have their mode on the USB connection changed. Please check the manual. The nomenclature differs from Brand to brand so I cannot be precise. I had the same issue with my Samsung Epic 4G and was advised as to the route to follow. My htc Incredible 2 shows up the optios as soon as you plug in the USB cable!
Old 29th August 2011, 11:25   #2173
Senior - BHPian

Some troubleshooting

Okay - some troubleshooting done over the weekend. Got a new micro-SD with a new SD adapter and inserted it into the Garmin unit. Then I connected the Garmin unit to my laptop over USB - the card was instantly detected as an additional/external drive and I was able to save/delete data. So my biggest worry (that the PND unit is malfunctioning and not identifying SD cards) seems to be ruled out. Also, when I used the old SD adapter with the new micro-SD card, it worked fine as well. So any issue with the old SD adapter ruled out as well.

All of this points to the SatGuide micro-SD card being corrupt. When I contacted customer care, they told me that I have to buy another card as they do not provide any warranty on the card. Buying another card is as good as buying new maps from them.

All said and done, not the best of time to get this issue - I am out driving to Kerala day after

Edit: Still not sure why the camera SD did not get detected when inserted into the Garmin PND. Maybe the formats are different (the camera SD was formatted using the camera).

Last edited by cool_dube : 29th August 2011 at 11:27.
Old 29th August 2011, 14:43   #2174
Senior - BHPian

I too had faced an issue with my samsung galaxy s after updating the firmware.
It recognizes the phone in other modes such as mass USB etc. But not in samsung kies mode which is needed for updating. Will post the workaround as and when i find it.
Old 29th August 2011, 14:47   #2175
Senior - BHPian

I have purchased a used unit which runs of some 4.x version (Sep'10) model. Read elsewhere the recent updated version is 6.x. Is there noticeable difference between these two version? How easy and quick is the update?

Edit: MMI VX 140

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks