Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2011, 10:47   #2206
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Have recently got Garmin with Satguide maps. How does one start searching in Garmin. The first thing it asks is the House Number and then a road. What if I don't have a house number and want to search for let's say a mall or some park and I don't even know the road it's on. How does one go about searching for things like these? Is there any free text search like one does on Google maps?
Old 15th September 2011, 11:44   #2207
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Dont remember exact names, but it is "Go to" and then "POI"

that would bring up search screen. Just enter name of location like "Inorbit" or "Phoenix" or "Girgaum"
Old 15th September 2011, 11:53   #2208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Have recently got Garmin with Satguide maps. How does one start searching in Garmin. The first thing it asks is the House Number and then a road. What if I don't have a house number and want to search for let's say a mall or some park and I don't even know the road it's on. How does one go about searching for things like these? Is there any free text search like one does on Google maps?
Malls, parks are to be searched under 'Point of Interests'. If you know the exact address, you can enter it. If you don't enter the house or street number, you can still go ahead with further options.
Old 15th September 2011, 12:12   #2209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Malls, parks are to be searched under 'Point of Interests'. If you know the exact address, you can enter it. If you don't enter the house or street number, you can still go ahead with further options.
If one goes ahead by skipping the house numbers, it prompts for road name. That too it shows the exact match (kind of auto suggest) and shows up the related list of entries. I was trying to search for Ovale Butterfly Farm in Thane and I was not able to.
Old 15th September 2011, 13:49   #2210
Senior - BHPian

you need not enter that menu (which asks for house number etc) I think that one is called go to "Address".

You need to click go to "POI" or "Points of Interest". There it would not ask for address and you can directly type name of location.
Old 15th September 2011, 14:05   #2211
BHPian

Thank you. Will definitely try this today. I'm having a feeling I'll be having a lot of queries for you chap once I start using it

BTW - Satguide has sent me a link of the updated maps. Will transfer the same to the card today. This is supposed to the 11th Aug one.
Old 19th September 2011, 19:23   #2212
BHPian

My experience on GPS navigation with Satguide, MapmyIndia and Garmin India

I started my GPS navigation with Satguide maps for windows mobile using external gps device Used it almost 2 year with lot of free map upgrade from satguide. It was the time when GPS devices were started into mass market in india.

Pros : Faster route recalculation
Free map Upgrades
Good Navigation software

Cons: Less coverage in comparison with mapmyindia
Most of the changes around bangalore traffic were missing even after 6 months to 1 year map update.
Annoying route recalculation voice prompts

Dec 2007 I bought mapmyindia navigator and used it along with satguide, soon convinced myself that mapmyindia maps are better for my usage. I have used it extensively for 4 years and in except few trips in most of the travel it guided me through optimum routes.

Pros: Less annoying during route recalculation, in fact silent among all devices
Good map coverage point of interest for bangalore, kerala and tamil nadu
Faster and optimum route suggestions.
Once you decide to detour the route it intelligently redraw the maps considering your new route.
Covered almost all state highways and national highways

Cons: Appearance of map and menu screen
Initial response time of technical support which may require while upgrade.

While I was in the middle of a trip I bought latest upgrade and caught up with some technical glitches soon I had to send my SD cad to mapmyindia office for upgrade, considering the delay and decision at haste made me to buy Garmin Nuvi device from ebay with india Warrenty and free upgrade upto 2012 december.

My expectation was high while ordering the device from Garmin who is world leader in navigation. Got the device with pre-loaded navteq maps of 700+ cities. I registered the device on garmin-india website and connected the device to system. Garmin online app recognized the map version and suggested for map upgrade. to my surprise it was almost 1200+ citis covered with new upgrade which is near to mapmyindia coverage.

Tested it in bangalore city and at first experience disppointed with route suggestion to my office. While following the regular route it keep asking me to take U-turn instead of adopting route taken by me even-though the route is available in their map database.

Later in an alternate route i realized some of the fine roads are broken or missing for 20-50 mtr in their map so it suggest U-turn. So for sure these maps may be too old or they are using some tricky survey technique to increase number of cities covered by their maps.

Most funny things happened on my trip to kerala, I have used faster route option without any avoidance like toll road etc.

1. From bangalore to krishnagiri on the fastest route it suggested me to take U-Turn for almost 30 to 40 kilometeres.
2. Krishna giri to salem new bypass opened a year back which help you to avoid busy streets of dharmapuri. Garmin device have maps of these bypass still it suggest you to take dharmapuri citi routes.
3. Coimbatore bypass is in maps but suggested to take coimbatore citi route instead to reach palakkad
4. Palakkad to ottapalam was first time for me so hesitantly i followed device it landed me inside market road with lot of traffic.
5. On Ottapalam to trissur highway it suggested some alternate route …

By this time I had enough and i turned off device.

6. After a day turned on the device for travel to another place via thodupuza. It is one of the dangerous road with hairpin bends but fortunately I know these roads. I had kept device on just to test the device and realized if you follow this device in this route that will be the last journey as roads suddenly disappear from screen and device ask you to follow “highlighted route” or to take left or right turn which does not exists.

I do not want to write any pros other than the appearance for this device. Strongly suggest not to go for this device until they realize better route suggestion and quality of maps are need of the hour than number of cities covered with inconsistant and inaccurate maps.

A device from satguide or mapmyindia even with 2007 maps do better in comparison with NAVTEQ map provided in 2011 garmin device.

I got my Updated SD card from Mapmyindia, so for time being i will not be using my Garmin and frustrate myself.
Old 20th September 2011, 10:54   #2213
BHPian

Re: My experience on GPS navigation with Satguide, MapmyIndia and Garmin India

Can't you use the MMI map in your Garmin PND? That would be the best option isnt it?
Old 20th September 2011, 12:27   #2214
Senior - BHPian

Re: My experience on GPS navigation with Satguide, MapmyIndia and Garmin India

Quote:
Originally Posted by svkndv View Post
<...>
I have used the latest maps of both Garmin (City Navigator India 2011.20) & MMI (v6.0) on my Nuvi 2300. I have not tried Satguide. While Garmin maps are not as exhaustive as MMI, I didn't find them bad.
Could you tell which model of Nuvi & which version of Garmin maps did you try?

Regarding U-Turns, since you have set faster time, the unit being dumb, it calculates this way: If time to place A is 10 minutes, if you detour and the new route takes 15 minutes, the GPS unit will ask you take u-turn, if taking u-turn turns out less time than 15 minutes. This is not map specific but unit specific. I have turned-off u-turn option under avoidance.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2011, 12:37   #2215
BHPian

Quote:
Can't you use the MMI map in your Garmin PND? That would be the best option isnt it?
I have inquired this with Mapmyindia. They were not ready to convert my existing 2 year upgrade plan of Rs-1700+ to Maps for garmin device even though I am ready to pay differential amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
I have used the latest maps of both Garmin (City Navigator India 2011.20) & MMI (v6.0) on my Nuvi 2300. I have not tried Satguide. While Garmin maps are not as exhaustive as MMI, I didn't find them bad.
Could you tell which model of Nuvi & which version of Garmin maps did you try?

Regarding U-Turns, since you have set faster time, the unit being dumb, it calculates this way: If time to place A is 10 minutes, if you detour and the new route takes 15 minutes, the GPS unit will ask you take u-turn, if taking u-turn turns out less time than 15 minutes. This is not map specific but unit specific. I have turned-off u-turn option under avoidance.
I have used latest maps(2011.30) and software than the one you mentioned.
Logic is applicable for garmin as well as other devices but i have not experienced same with satguide or MMI. One place near palaghat it guided me to divert from main road to village road, People whom I inquired told me that normally no one take that route to Coimbatore.
Garmin may have map overage but do not have any actual data on optimum, shorter or faster route.

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st September 2011 at 19:29. Reason: Merging consecutive posts.
Old 20th September 2011, 13:55   #2216
Senior - BHPian

^This is a nice tip.
I am trying to find a similar option in Sygic/Aura/ MapMyIndia application on my Android device, though I haven't still managed to find something similar. Any pointers?

I have experienced something similar on my last trip around Pune.

Last edited by S_U_N : 20th September 2011 at 13:57.
Old 20th September 2011, 14:37   #2217
BHPian

In India what do you guys typically turn on in the 'Avoidance' sections. It has things like Traffic too which does not make sense here as there's no data available. I've currently turned 'Avoidances' off completely.
Old 20th September 2011, 14:40   #2218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In India what do you guys typically turn on in the 'Avoidance' sections. It has things like Traffic too which does not make sense here as there's no data available. I've currently turned 'Avoidances' off completely.
I have turned off,
  • U-Turns
  • Unpaved Roads
  • Traffic

Last edited by msdivy : 20th September 2011 at 14:57. Reason: Added traffic
Old 20th September 2011, 14:51   #2219
BHPian

Why would you want to keep the rest of the things on viz. Traffic, Toll gates, etc.?
Old 20th September 2011, 15:04   #2220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why would you want to keep the rest of the things on viz. Traffic, Toll gates, etc.?
I have enabled to avoid traffic too. That leaves Highways, Toll Roads, Ferries, Carpool Lanes avoidances, which I believe will make journey faster and hence I don't want to avoid.
Note: I have not tested with any option enabled & disabled to check their efficacy. These options are provided in maps and when a map updates supports these, I will get them without making any settings change.

Most Viewed