Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2011, 15:32   #2236
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Get a 7 inch android tablet from Reliance / Airtel / Chinese.... this would cost 7 to 11k.

And install MapMyIndia (costs 2k).

This would give you all these features.

EDIT : Just make sure device has decent GPS hardware.
Old 23rd September 2011, 17:10   #2237
Team-BHP Support

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

If you have access to Amazon (shipment to US and some carrying it for you),
get one of these good Garmin devices.

If not as NFB says, Android tables with GPS are the best.
But @NFB how easy it would be to install a 7in tablet in a car? (In other words find a place to fix it in the car while driving)
Old 23rd September 2011, 17:23   #2238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vu2pmc View Post
Perhaps the only drawback is the MMI garmin maps wont support address search. Essentially a problem of MMI which they are trying to sort out.
Doesn't MMI have two versions of its software?

I've been led to believe that the lower priced one (which goes into the vx140s) doesn't do address search but they have a higher priced one (which goes into the vx240s for instance) searches by door numbers etc.

Disclaimer: I've never seen, let alone used, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
But @NFB how easy it would be to install a 7in tablet in a car? (In other words find a place to fix it in the car while driving)
Get in touch with TBHPian Reddevil_Appu. He's gone down this route and has done a fantastic job with the mount in his Baleno. In fact he uses the tablet to take videos of his drives as well, and these videos come out very well even on bumpy roads.

Regards,
spadix

Last edited by spadix : 23rd September 2011 at 17:27.
Old 23rd September 2011, 18:01   #2239
BHPian

Quote:
If you have access to Amazon (shipment to US and some carrying it for you), get one of these good Garmin devices.
Garmin Nuvi and other GPS devices are available in India too. In Hyderabad, Car Sonic at Minister Road sells them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Get a 7 inch android tablet from Reliance / Airtel / Chinese.... this would cost 7 to 11k.
Smart phones and tablets may not give you a good GPS receiver. A dedicated GPS device after quicker satellite lock times. Better yet is a vehicle-integrated GPS device because those devices can make use of the vehicle's speed and direction information in addition to the GPS so if you drive into a tunnel, you do not suddenly 'teleport' from one end of the tunnel to the other.
Old 23rd September 2011, 18:08   #2240
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
Garmin Nuvi and other GPS devices are available in India too. In Hyderabad, Car Sonic at Minister Road sells them.
They do but we need to check the price difference.
Often I have noticed:

1. Indian shops mostly keep older models
2. They also price it quite high. At the same price one may able to get much model.
Of course we need to have some traveling at that time, who can pick it up for us.

If your experience is better, please do let us know.
Old 23rd September 2011, 19:30   #2241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto freak View Post
Need device suggestions for upgrading from Roadpilot!
I ve been using the mapmyindia radpilot for over 1 year now and very satisfied with it.
I am now looking at upgrading to another device with
1. no compromise on maps and quality of navigation
2. larger screen
2. better touch sensitivity (capacitive touch?)
3. multimedia capability (if possible within budget)

my Budget is 12K. Please suggest options.
Check out MapmyIndia Carpad - But I guess the price is 22K
Old 23rd September 2011, 19:36   #2242
BHPian

I must confess that I have only tried MMI maps for Garmin. They have a whole lot of map version for diff systems including many OEM cars and even for android and symbian platforms.

What I meant was in the garmin format maps from MMI, address search function do not work at this point in time. It could get working sooner or later.
I have been using MMI maps in both my garmin units since thier version 4.1 and have been constantly comparing the same with city nav India and satguide's corresponding versions. I am inclined to vouch for MMI anytime. especially when it comes roads and POI beyond big cities.
Old 23rd September 2011, 20:07   #2243
BHPian

Quote:
They do but we need to check the price difference.
Often I have noticed:
1. Indian shops mostly keep older models
2. They also price it quite high. At the same price one may able to get much model.
Of course we need to have some traveling at that time, who can pick it up for us.
Letsbuy has listed Garmin GPS Navigation Device Nuvi 215 at 7.5k . Don't know much about this model though.
Old 23rd September 2011, 20:30   #2244
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
Letsbuy has listed Garmin GPS Navigation Device Nuvi 215 at 7.5k . Don't know much about this model though.
These are discontinued parts. I bought a 205W 2 years back in Amazon for about 110-120$.
Later that year I also saw folks buying it for 90. Today, Amazon displays the price at 170 ! (Mainly because, its not available and those products are not bought).

New replaced product line in that range is the Nuvi 30/40/50 series. Which is sold for
4.5 to 5K. I think the price difference is fine. Its just that you get new generation product for the same price.

Again all this is possible if you there folks traveling every now and then whom you can ask to carry stuff for you.
Old 24th September 2011, 10:46   #2245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
Smart phones and tablets may not give you a good GPS receiver. A dedicated GPS device after quicker satellite lock times.
I use a 2 yr old HTC smartphone and it gets the lock in seconds (thanks to AGPS). I am sure newer ones will be similar if not better. I have also read of dedicated devices taking minutes to get a lock. So above statement would be unfair to smart phones/ tablets.
Old 24th September 2011, 11:05   #2246
BHPian

I would bet anytime on Android based tablets/GPS devices as they are more supported in terms of apps & community forums. For ex, the samsung galaxy android phone has all the hardware goodies needed for navigation and usage in GPS with or without maps.

I want to check out if the Karbonn A1 or Micromax A70 has all these features, as I have been planning to go and watch the Raid 2011 coming october. I found a lots of free/paid apps for the android devices to get what I want.

Yes, the dedicated GPS device may have some added accuracy advantage, but may lack all the needed stuff in one good package.

Last edited by tantragna : 24th September 2011 at 11:12.
Old 28th September 2011, 01:20   #2247
Senior - BHPian

Looks like TomTom are ready to launch in India.

TomTom enters navigation market in India - The Times of India
Old 30th September 2011, 17:11   #2248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Looks like TomTom are ready to launch in India.

TomTom enters navigation market in India - The Times of India
Their entry will be flop in case they plan to start from scratch. Instead they should acquire good maps from satguide or mapmyindia.
Old 3rd October 2011, 16:03   #2249
BHPian

I finally upgraded from my Roadpilot to Mapmyindia S550.
The device looks and feels better built than the roadpilot!

Though i may not use its media playback capability, its nice to have bluetooth onboard! (something i sorely missed on my car's OE HU)

It has come preloaded with V6 maps (premium content enabled).
I like the premium content from the point of view that i will be able to search down to door numbers.

But the whole maze of door numbers appearing over the maps is annoying me a bit (more so when the map is set to night mode).
So, i have now disabled the premium content by removing its files from the unit.
It is fine now. The device doesn't have premium content anymore.

Wanted to know if there is any way to only disable the display of door numbers on the maps while using premium content.
Old 3rd October 2011, 19:06   #2250
evo
BHPian

URGENT QUESTION

We are officials for this years Raid De Himalaya and have just received a mail from the organisers saying :

The MapmyIndia Garmin NUVI is useless, so try and get a Map series such as the 76CSX, 276CS or the 60 series.

Can this be please translated by someone into "Please buy this ________________ and not this___________"

Also I have a Blaupunkt Travel Pilot Lucca. Is that the right one ?

Thanks a tonne !

Last edited by evo : 3rd October 2011 at 19:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks