Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2011, 10:32   #2356
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
I have Nuvi 2300 and this how it works:...
Let me try that on my 260W. What is the overall directory structure on 2300? (Root downwards. I suppose you are talking of what appears in Explorer when the device is connected over USB)

Are you sure maps are recognized if the filename is anything other than gmapwxyz as @netfreak pointed out?
Old 26th November 2011, 15:17   #2357
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Are you sure maps are recognized if the filename is anything other than gmapwxyz as @netfreak pointed out?
That limitation is not there in newer firmwares. 2XX devices run older versions.

There we need to do a workaround. You have to delete base map and save one map as base map and other as "supp" map.
Old 28th November 2011, 18:44   #2358
LDJ
BHPian

Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Hello Dkaile, does the procedure you've outlined below still hold good? Could you kindly list out the procedure to be followed for having a 'complete offline map' solution on my HTC Sensation please?

Old 28th November 2011, 18:54   #2359
BHPian

Hi,
I have recently purchased a GPS navigator running Windows CE. This has iGO8 installed on it. Are there India maps available for iGO8, which I could download / buy?
Old 28th November 2011, 22:22   #2360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDJ View Post
Hello Dkaile, does the procedure you've outlined below still hold good? Could you kindly list out the procedure to be followed for having a 'complete offline map' solution on my HTC Sensation please?
Offline Navigation Softwares For Android - Reliance Mobile (CDMA & GSM) - Discussion Forums - Page 8
Old 30th November 2011, 21:31   #2361
LDJ
BHPian

Ok this is for anyone looking at a offline map for their sense:

I discovered the apk listed above doesn't work so upgraded to the latest version 11.2! Works like a charm!! Cant wait to test it on our upcoming trip.
Old 15th December 2011, 14:23   #2362
BHPian

My question is with reference to te point noted in the first message in this thread:

Map Details (Point of Interests, Map Accuracy, By-lanes, etc)

and about:User experience on detecting specific POI and suggestions on 'How to' for Map My India GPS device.

I am planning to purchase a GPS device for the car and took a demo of (hardly 2 kms) MapMyIndia GPS device - that detected the route correctly (through small lanes) in the city to reach the destination.

However how would it fair on national highways to detect POI that for me could be cafe Coffee Day and McDonalds. Will MMI GPS device help me with that?

To be specific I am planing a journey from Bangalore to Ooty and want to plan my breaks in advance and want the GPS to tell me where these joints are.

1. Is this possible to detect such places (McD, CCD) on the highway?
2. From Mysore I want to go via Bandipur - what option in the GPS is the best one? I think it provides some route options - is it dependable? Specially for a person who would drive on that route for the first time?

Any user experiences or suggestions would help.

I am plannig on buying Vx140s (Reference: MapmyIndia GPS Car Navigation Systems, Maps, Garmin GPS Devices) Hope it has no known issues?

Thanks.
Old 15th December 2011, 17:53   #2363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brilliantlights View Post
I am plannig on buying Vx140s (Reference: MapmyIndia GPS Car Navigation Systems, Maps, Garmin GPS Devices) Hope it has no known issues?

Thanks.
I ordered this one 2 days back and must be getting it in a few days. Will post my impressions on this soon. BTW, I'm getting it for Rs 8766. How much did they quote you?

Last edited by chennai-indian : 15th December 2011 at 17:54.
chennai-indian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 18:04   #2364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chennai-indian View Post
I ordered this one 2 days back and must be getting it in a few days. Will post my impressions on this soon. BTW, I'm getting it for Rs 8766. How much did they quote you?
I am being quoted Rs 9990/-. Looks like I am being fleeced? Please let me know from where to order and if they are reliable and warranty holds good? Thanks.
Old 15th December 2011, 21:43   #2365
BHPian

Quote:
I am being quoted Rs 9990/-. Looks like I am being fleeced? Please let me know from where to order and if they are reliable and warranty holds good? Thanks.
If you haven't ordered it as yet, may be I suggest you should go for a Garmin Nuvi series for almost the same price.
You have offers from Garmin India as well with thier City Nav Maps.

My suggestion is to buy a Garmin Hardware for
1 . it can use all garmin Maps, unlike Mapmyindia Navigator, that only accepts thier maps.

2. Garmin is anyday much more reliable as a brand.

3. Currently Mapmyindia devices cant be interfaced with computer, which is a major drawback.

As for maps, you have loads of options in the market, I would vouch mapmyindia for thier map accuracy and POI content.
vu2pmc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 21:55   #2366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vu2pmc View Post
I would vouch mapmyindia for thier map accuracy and POI content.
Which maps do you find more detailed in your experience? Google Maps? MMI?

I'm using Google Maps (Modded Version) for navigation purpose and it works perfectly at the least in my region. Plus, the feeling when I spot the POIs and roads on the maps added by me is priceless.
Old 15th December 2011, 22:03   #2367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Which maps do you find more detailed in your experience? Google Maps? MMI?

I'm using Google Maps (Modded Version) for navigation purpose and it works perfectly at the least in my region. Plus, the feeling when I spot the POIs and roads on the maps added by me is priceless.
in nine out of ten cases, I would prefer google maps. However, unfortunately, you cant get google maps on to your gps.. Hence, among the three gps map data vendors ( for India), ie, City Nav by Navteq, Satguide, and Mapmyindia by CE Infosystems, I would rate Mapmyindia the best..

I now make a route on Google map, and then use a java script to have it imported as GPX file. Transfer it on your gps and use it.

Also, if you are have a GPS enables mobile, Sygic maps for Mapmyindia, is indeed a lovely application.

Few days back, Google maps for MObile have launched a new lab application, in which you can download 10 Mile radius of a co ordinate for offline viewing. So, if I am new to Hyderabad, I can use a wi fi spot to download the 10 miles around where I stay, and use it offline for navigation. The only catch is, all your cached maps would be deleted by google after 30 days automatically.
vu2pmc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 23:42   #2368
BHPian

Quote:
I bought it at Shop Online - Buy Mobile Phones, Laptops, Digital Cameras, MP3 Players, TVs and Hard Disks in India + Free Shipping! | BuyThePrice.com. Do not forget to use their coupon code "XREDHOT" . Just got the GPS by courier.
Old 16th December 2011, 09:58   #2369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chennai-indian View Post
I bought it at Shop Online - Buy Mobile Phones, Laptops, Digital Cameras, MP3 Players, TVs and Hard Disks in India + Free Shipping! | BuyThePrice.com. Do not forget to use their coupon code "XREDHOT" . Just got the GPS by courier.
Had a chance to take the device for a spin. First time I booted, it took around 5 minutes to get a satellite fix. After that, device gets a fix in seconds.

User Interface - I used to have a Garmin when I was in US and compared to its interface, mapmyindia's interface is clunky. However, it gets the job done. I tried to navigate to two places - one I was going to today - Ford Chennai Plant and the other I'm planning to drive down during Xmas - a hotel in Mysore. Device identified both the places without difficulty and calculated the route.

The voice navigation is OK - it does not spell out the names of streets - just says turn left or right. Volume is on the lower side - if your ICE is on, you may not be able to hear the voice guidance properly.

The device had mapmyindia India maps 6.1

Build quality is average. Nothing great.

Will post a detailed review after some time.
chennai-indian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2011, 15:50   #2370
BHPian

@vu2pmc: I would prefer to buy Garmin if I get a good deal of Garmin device with MMI v6.x map.
What is the best option if you know?

Can we plug in the device (Garmin and MMI) to a TV and see the route on it - as I find 4.3" for offline review too small.

@chennai-indian - the XREDHOT deal is gone it seems. I just shows me around 9700/- for Vx140s. I am also planning a trip with the GPS I buy to bandipur (and a lot of city driving)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks