Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2011, 17:22   #2371
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brilliantlights View Post
the XREDHOT deal is gone it seems. I just shows me around 9700/- for Vx140s. I am also planning a trip with the GPS I buy to bandipur (and a lot of city driving)
Yes, the XREDHOT deal is gone now - looks like just after I posted about it here !!

Try some of the coupon websites like retailmenot that publish coupons for websites like buytheprice.com.

By the way, I'm also planning to travel to Bandipur during Xmas and that is also what motivated me to buy mapmyindia!!
Old 17th December 2011, 10:38   #2372
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
@vu2pmc: I would prefer to buy Garmin if I get a good deal of Garmin device with MMI v6.x map.
What is the best option if you know?

Can we plug in the device (Garmin and MMI) to a TV and see the route on it - as I find 4.3" for offline review too small.

@chennai-indian - the XREDHOT deal is gone it seems. I just shows me around 9700/- for Vx140s. I am also planning a trip with the GPS I buy to bandipur (and a lot of city driving)
Well, Buy a Nuvi series with the following specs.

1. Ability to import routes..

2. Speaks street names... ( This is diff from turn by turn voice prompts)

3. Bluetooth interface.

This is regarding the hardware. As far maps, they are available in the market to buy/ download. For Garmin formats, you have MMI, City Nav and Satguide.

Most new Nuvi series has these facilities. If you buy from India, it can turn quite expensive. If you got any freind in US/ SG, it would be the best option. A wide screen Nuvi with the above features should be approx 150 US$- 200 US$

As regards watching it on TV, I dont think it is possible. However, every garmin map can be installed on a desktop using the program Mapsource.

So, all what you do on the GPS device, can be done on the desktop as well.
Old 19th December 2011, 12:19   #2373
Senior - BHPian

GPS from Deal Extreme

Guys - I'm looking to buy a cheap Chinese GPS + Navigation unit (maybe from Deal Extreme). I remember some members have experimented with this but I'm now unable to recollect.

Now a quick search on DE reveals that most units come with Windows CE.
1. Are there no units running on Android?

2. I will most probably be installing MapMyIndia (i think it is the best) or Sygic (which is good for big cities/metros, but poor for State Highways and interiors)

3. How is Garmin?

Finally, what are the things I should look for while making the purchase on DE? i.e. hardware/software specs etc?
Old 19th December 2011, 13:03   #2374
BHPian

Interactive Map Ideas

Dear All,

Would it be a good idea to have an interactive map application which crowd sources people's experience (let's say on a five star rating scale) on all National and State Highways in India. As the conditions of our roads keep changing, the maps could get updated on a real-time basis based on people's experiences. We could mark out sections of bad roads, roads which are avoidable in the night due to safety reasons, etc. and one could do a search akin to a Google map search for directions but with the additional ability to do customized searches based on road conditions.

Apologies if this has been asked before, and if so, if the thread could be merged as I could not find it based on my search parameters on the forum, or if this is not the appropriate forum sub-section.

Regards
Vijay
Old 19th December 2011, 18:34   #2375
BHPian

Re: GPS from Deal Extreme

@@ nishantgandhi

1.There are so many devices with android OS too. try ebay or other sites.

2. If you opt winCE then you can use mapmyindia on mireo black edition software.They are giving finest navigation on Indian roads

3.Garmin is best navigation device,but their Indian routes & POI's are not sufficient especially if its out of metro.

Android device will provide more features and functions than a wince device. Look one with ARM processor 1 ghz or more, non-stylus touch screen,Max SD card support, Bluetooth & wifi.The only one demerit of Android device is, you cant use mapmyindia + Black Edition software on it.Even though Sygic with mapmyindia is there for android,but I tried both of them and still black edition is my favorite.
Old 19th December 2011, 22:31   #2376
Senior - BHPian

Need Help !

Friends - Need urgent help.
I have an MMI device. I recently purchased their upgraded map online, and dutifully, they provided all the info thru an e-mail. I have downloaded all this on my laptop. All i needed to do is to transfer the new map to the device i already have.

So far, so good. I took my device. Pulled out the USB cable. Put one end to my laptop and the other end to the device. It asked for two options.
1. Charging
2. Data transfer

By mistake, i pressed the "Charging" option on the device.

Now, each time i put the USB to the device and connect to my laptop, all that i can do is to keep charging my GPS device.

I called up the MMI customer help desk for help, but they couldnt resolve this.

Has anyone else faced a similar issue ? How do i get back to see the two options on the screen so that i can select "Data Transfer" and get the new files loaded to my GPS device ?

Any help / pointers will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 19th December 2011, 23:34   #2377
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Guys - I'm looking to buy a cheap Chinese GPS + Navigation unit (maybe from Deal Extreme). I remember some members have experimented with this but I'm now unable to recollect.

2. I will most probably be installing MapMyIndia (i think it is the best) or Sygic (which is good for big cities/metros, but poor for State Highways and interiors)

3. How is Garmin?

Finally, what are the things I should look for while making the purchase on DE? i.e. hardware/software specs etc?
Cheapest androids with decent specs (1GHz cortex) cost around 160$ on dealextreme. They are basically 10.1" tablets with wifi and GPS(no 3G radio)

For car, windows CE is going to do just fine. Both satguide(destinator) or mapmyindia(mireo) work fine on wince 5.0 as well as 6.0

Most of the newer systems are 6.0

Best way to buy is to get the device with highest reviews.
Old 20th December 2011, 00:33   #2378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post

3. How is Garmin?

WinCE should do fine for your requirements.
As far as i know, Sygic uses MapMyIndia maps. I have been using the same for the past year or more. There is a separate Black Edition with MMI, but the MMI 6.0 comes with Sygic for WinCE 6.0.

When buying from DE, just check that it has atleast 128 MB of RAM, as most of them come with only 64MB RAM. The ones with higher specs cost a little more, but you can get a decent GPS unit with 128 MB RAM and around 600 MHz processor for around 70$ .
Old 22nd December 2011, 20:35   #2379
BHPian

Re: Need Help !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Friends - Need urgent help.
I have an MMI device.

I called up the MMI customer help desk for help, but they couldnt resolve this.

Has anyone else faced a similar issue ? How do i get back to see the two options on the screen so that i can select "Data Transfer" and get the new files loaded to my GPS device ?

Any help / pointers will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Hi, some of their ground staff that gives demo can help. I see that you are in Bangalore. I will send you two mobile numbers who should direct you to the right people. Will send you a pm so as not to spam their mobile numbers as haven't asked them as don't have your number.

Hope that helps and you have a smooth sailing!

finally I bought MMI vx140s (for Rs 9990 as all online sales and coupon codes were over but yes you can buy them for around Rs 1000/- less online using discount codes!)

User Experience
----------------

Device Build Quality

1. Overall build - OK, nothing great.
2. Touch Sensitivity - Poor
3. Feel of the Size - 4.3", it fits easily in my shirt or jeans pocket, and light.
(As per tech Specs: Size : (W)12.5mm x (H)78mm x (L)122mm)

Navigation
-----------

1. Accuracy - for destinations identified routes are accurate most of the times.
Tried it a few times and happy with the results.
2. Coverage -
I only went for MMI instead of Garmin (supposed to have a far superior build
quality) because of the user feedback on this forum about the maps by MMI.
Indeed the coverage is good as it detected 'shortest' route (compared to 'fastest')
fine.

However I have already detected a few locations that I think are prominent that it
failed to detect (some major IT firms in IT parks).

At times it does not detect a POI has two entrances and takes you to the other
one thatcould stretch you by a km if you follow it.

For example (easy for Bangalore residents to relate) - If you are coming from the small lanes from Tavarekere road side, near Chikka Adugodiu and want to go to the well known Forum Mall - it will show you the route from the other side of the mall that faces Koramangala/Raheja Arcade.

Similarly for certain buildings it takes you to the back side lane where there in no entrance but only the compond wall.

It has predictive auto-complete feature - that means you just cannot key in an address unless it is in the MMI database! This was a little irritating at first as it refuses to budge unless you try various permutation and combinations to get the exact address as in MMI database. So for example - 5th Cross would be identified but not 18-C lane!!!

Anyway - I am happy as after specifying the nearest landmarks it does take you very well to the place it knows about.

I got v6.1 maps and I am sure the MMI guys have a lot to improve upon for even large cities!

Cheers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 16th January 2012 at 10:55. Reason: Merging post
Old 22nd December 2011, 23:48   #2380
BHPian

Quote:
finally I bought MMI vx140s (for Rs 9990 as all online sales and coupon codes were over but yes you can buy them for around Rs 1000/- less online using discount codes!)

I got v6.1 maps and I am sure the MMI guys have a lot to improve upon for even large cities!
Totally agree on the scope for improvement and the review mirrors my experience. I will be taking this on my drive to Bandipur the day after - let me see how the MMI holds up.
Old 23rd December 2011, 18:02   #2381
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys, need your help about the sygic /MMI thingy for android. I wish to buy MMI maps for my android. I understand that the navigation software for these maps is sygic on android. I had installed sygic sometime back and it had only one week validity which has expired. Its asking me for the product code on startup of Sygic. Now, if I buy MMI maps, will I also need to buy a sygic licence? Please help! I did call up the MMI support guys and they dont seem to understand my question. Thanks!
Old 25th December 2011, 12:40   #2382
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need Help !

Quote:
Hi, some of their ground staff that gives demo can help. I see that you are in Bangalore. I will send you two mobile numbers who should direct you to the right people. Will send you a pm so as not to spam their mobile numbers as haven't asked them as don't have your number.

Hope that helps and you have a smooth sailing!

Cheers.
Thanks so much. The issue is now resolved. I tried after draining the battery of the device, and when i plugged this to the USB, i got the two options and this time, i rightly selected the USB data transfer option and got this.
Old 25th December 2011, 19:19   #2383
mxx
BHPian

Anyone used the tomtom devices which are now available in India? How is their maps?
Old 26th December 2011, 09:18   #2384
BHPian

Hello,

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 and want to know how to enable voice navigation. When I go to Applications > Navigation, it says "Google Maps Navigation is not yet available in this location."

If Google voice navigation is not possible in India, can you guys please recommend a app? I see that MapmyIndia's app costs Rs. 2490 for regular version and Rs. 1990 for e-download. Not sure what the difference is. Is there a comparable/cheaper app than this?

I need this primarily to navigate my way around in Bangalore.

Yesterday I used my cousin's Nokia Lumia 800's voice navigation to go to and back to my home from airport and it was excellent.

Thanks in advance.
Old 26th December 2011, 09:39   #2385
BHPian

Brut maps is the answer to that. You would find the installation details in this link :

[APP MOD] Google Maps 6.0.3 ownhere/Brut.all- NAVIGATION all roads. - xda-developers

It works like a charm on my Galaxy S , and i have heard it works perfect on S2 as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikat View Post
Hello,

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 and want to know how to enable voice navigation. When I go to Applications > Navigation, it says "Google Maps Navigation is not yet available in this location."

If Google voice navigation is not possible in India, can you guys please recommend a app? I see that MapmyIndia's app costs Rs. 2490 for regular version and Rs. 1990 for e-download. Not sure what the difference is. Is there a comparable/cheaper app than this?

I need this primarily to navigate my way around in Bangalore.

Yesterday I used my cousin's Nokia Lumia 800's voice navigation to go to and back to my home from airport and it was excellent.

Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed