Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2012, 12:35   #2491
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
In many ways the Indian LM option is not too bad Rs.15,900 and you are set for life.
'Life time' is the lifetime of the device i.e. for its useful life. I would expect it to between 3-5 years. See these links

Garmin | United States | Maps | nüMaps Lifetime

AND

Garmin India | Products | On The Road | nüvi® 2565LM (India)

'FREE lifetime map updates entitle you to receive up to 4 map data updates per year, when and as such updates are made available on the Garmin website, for this specific Garmin product only until this product’s useful life expires '

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
According to NetFreakbombay post 2434: Satguide maps ~170MB, MMI 400MB and Navteq 600MB. I think it should be kB and not MB. Obviously the same software handles them all, so Navteq should be the most detailed.
The Garmin Navteq India map ver 2011.40 (latest) is a few hundred megs in size - 633 MB to be precise while MMI ver 6.1 is 297 megs. I am sure MMI ver 7 would be more detailed.
Old 23rd March 2012, 13:09   #2492
J.Ravi

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I am sure MMI ver 7 would be more detailed.
MMI v7.0 maps' downloaded files are of size 685 MB. As per the instructions, I copied these downloaded files and replaced the old files in my MMI Lx130 navigator and the total size increased to 1.39 GB in the SD card memory. This is exclusive of programme files that are stored in the device memory.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 23rd March 2012 at 13:16.

Old 23rd March 2012, 13:33   #2493
BHPian

Quote:
I purchased the app directly from Sygic's website for 39 Euros approx Rs 2613 at today's exchange rates.
I am also planning to buy, can you please confirm the procedure.
I believe you get an activation-key from sygic which you then punch on the mobile?

And for the payment in euros, can I make an Axis-bank online transfer/citibank credit-card payment on sygic's international web-site safely?
Old 23rd March 2012, 13:48   #2494
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
MMI v7.0 maps' downloaded files are of size 685 MB. As per the instructions, I copied these downloaded files and replaced the old files in my MMI Lx130 navigator and the total size increased to 1.39 GB in the SD card memory. This is exclusive of programme files that are stored in the device memory.
There must be a lot of improvements and added details in version 7 compared with 6.1 if you go by the file sizes! 297MB to 1.39 GB is huge! Can you share your experiences?

I might upgrade my 6.1 to ver 7 someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I am also planning to buy, can you please confirm the procedure.
I believe you get an activation-key from sygic which you then punch on the mobile?

And for the payment in euros, can I make an Axis-bank online transfer/citibank credit-card payment on sygic's international web-site safely?
Yes you get an activation key and you can use any visa/mastercard to pay for the software. No issues as far as security is concerned. Be aware that it's a lengthy download of 950 MB-1 GB with maps. So make sure you have a wifi connection handy.
Old 23rd March 2012, 14:01   #2495
BANNED

Quote:
'Life time' is the lifetime of the device i.e. for its useful life. I would expect it to between 3-5 years.

The Garmin Navteq India map ver 2011.40 (latest) is a few hundred megs in size - 633 MB to be precise while MMI ver 6.1 is 297 megs. I am sure MMI ver 7 would be more detailed.
naturally, you will expect any electronic device to last for at most five years. Five years at 16k is definitely preferable to Rs.5k per annum.

Last edited by sgiitk : 23rd March 2012 at 14:24.
Old 23rd March 2012, 14:16   #2496
J.Ravi

Quote:
Can you share your experiences?
In the previous version, my saved HOME used to indicate the street name in the route summary. Now, it shows door number too, albeit my neighbour's door numbers! And every time, it shows different neighbourly door numbers! It is yet to show my door number correctly! The v7.0 map also shows my home's door number embedded within the building foot-print along with others. In the earlier version, mere door numbers were displayed. Reportedly, the new version maps contain 6.3 million PoI with street-level maps for 4000 cities across India. I am yet to test it in long highway trips.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 23rd March 2012 at 14:20.

Old 23rd March 2012, 14:27   #2497
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk
According to NetFreakbombay post 2434: Satguide maps ~170MB, MMI 400MB and Navteq 600MB. I think it should be kB and not MB.
@sgiitk

It is in MB and not KB. They are actually that bulky.
Old 23rd March 2012, 15:53   #2498
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
In the previous version, my saved HOME used to indicate the street name in the route summary. Now, it shows door number too, albeit my neighbour's door numbers! And every time, it shows different neighbourly door numbers! It is yet to show my door number correctly! The v7.0 map also shows my home's door number embedded within the building foot-print along with others. In the earlier version, mere door numbers were displayed. Reportedly, the new version maps contain 6.3 million PoI with street-level maps for 4000 cities across India. I am yet to test it in long highway trips.
If the iPhone Sygic MMI maps is anything to go by I am sure V7 would be v good. The phone even showed a 3D image of a temple when I went past the famous Dagdu Sheth Ganesh temple yesterday. I was impressed! This is precisely where Navteq maps misses out..the POIs and depictions or images in MMI are far better. Guess you can't have everything in one package.

Regards,
Old 23rd March 2012, 16:03   #2499
BHPian

Had a terrible experience with MMI for iPhone last night. Was travelling from chennai to Bangalore and had set the destination to be Indra nagar club. The map showed a completely useless route and following it I ended up at Malleswaram and then had to resort to my own knowledge on the roads to reach Indra nagar.
Was totally frustrated with this app
Old 23rd March 2012, 23:07   #2500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@cyclops, what about the maps ? Does this one have US maps loaded ?
Quote:
Congrats cyclops.

Condor is right..Garmin and other PNDs purchased in the US will have US or North America maps loaded. Assuming you are in the US that's all well and good.

If in India you will need to buy another set of maps. Navteq map is the default. MMI is another choice.

PS - I checked Newegg. The PND comes with City Navigator NT for North America.

Cheers!
Thanks man! I was contemplating between a big screen phone and a dedicated device since long, but finally gave in to this.

Yes I am currently in US and it comes preloaded with NA maps with an option to do 1 update in the first 3 months. When I am back to India, I will probably buy satguide maps.

Last edited by cyclops : 23rd March 2012 at 23:16.
Old 24th March 2012, 03:30   #2501
BHPian

I dont have a dedicated GPS device, yet. Recently had purchased Nokia E6 (upgraded to Belle) and have kept on latest updates for the Nokia Maps & few voice files. like to share some of my experiences.

few weeks back, for a school function, I had to travel from Mira Road to Malad. Just before starting, I was able to locate my source and destination within the map database (I prefer keeping the GPRS Map Offline) and then just kept following the voice system. There ware even couple of small lanes which I didnt travel before, also didnt ask anybody on road for guidance. I was bang on target and really impressed.

2 weeks back, I had gone to Shirdi and from thereon had to travel Shani Shingnapur. Fixed the coordinates and the voice kept guiding just perfectly. At a place I had a doubt and so double checked at a shop. Nothing to worry, the voice said "you have reached your destination" when my car reached exactly at the parking area near the temple!

During this trip itself, on return to Mumbai we had decided to enroute visit Bhandardara Dam, starting from Shirdi via Sangamner. Unfortunately, I couldnt locate Bhandardara on the map database, and then switched ON the GPRS (setting to check Online map) and found the place to jot the route. Once the map was done, tried few route options like Fastest, Optimized, and finalized the one what I had seen on the laptop with Google Maps. At 2 places I found the voice incorrect, but with some alertness and speaking to a localite found that the correct road is just adjacent. Maybe, within interiors such double road do exists. Before the start of journey, I did turn Off the GPRS since the device had already shown the route, which I believe was cached.

overall, high regards for Nokia Maps.

regards,
Pranav

Last edited by Eddy : 24th March 2012 at 19:20. Reason: correcting typo
Old 24th March 2012, 18:26   #2502
BHPian

I am looking for GPS navigation system for my new car (Swift Dzire) and have enquired about Garmin Nuvi 2565 LM with one of the distributer in Mumbai. I was quoted price of Rs 19K for the device (which appears to be on higher side). Thus I was looking at GPS options available in US as one of my cousine is based in US and he would be travelling to India next month. With respect to that, I have few questions. When checked, nuvi 2555LT is costing around 175 to 190 US $ which is coming out to be less than Rs 10K
  • If I purchase GPS device (Garmin nuvi 2555LT) in US, is there a option to load india specific maps once device is brought in india?
  • Has any one done that?
  • Whats the approximate cost for india specific maps?
Old 25th March 2012, 08:49   #2503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1amit View Post
  • If I purchase GPS device (Garmin nuvi 2555LT) in US, is there a option to load india specific maps once device is brought in india?
  • Has any one done that?
That is most economical route. I use a Garmin 265 with India maps from Satguide and Garmin.

India maps cost 2k from Satguide, 7k from MMI and 5k from Garmin.
Old 25th March 2012, 09:19   #2504
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1amit View Post
  • Has any one done that?
It may not be worth it. LT is only valid for the US in your case. For the US unit go to mygarmin.com and download on to a SD card and then activate. So two upgrades put you up to the Indian price. I am getting a 4.3 inch for Rs.15,900. My 265WT is also 4.3" and Ok.
Old 2nd April 2012, 16:41   #2505
BANNED

I got my Nuvi 2465LT for 15.9k last week. Seems to be quite good. However, the indexing of maps is not as good as in the SatGuide. I registered it and then did a software (OS) update. Maps are up to date. Only one minor point - leave it plugged in until it installs the drivers before going to www.mygarmin.com

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks