Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:57   #2551
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyb View Post
I have a Garmin Nuvi 1490. I too want to save my routes. I tried MapSource software but was not able to do it. I wrote to garmin US but didn't get satisfactory reply. Has anyone done it successfully? I use india maps by satguide.in
Sorry if my answer is too late, but my Garmin Nuvi (1100) saves the log in archive/NN.gpx files, where NN are two digits 01-99. (just plug in your Nuvi to your laptop using USB cable and you should be able to see the files in archive directory) These files are approx 2.5MB in size. I just picked a random gpx and pasted in www.gpsvisualizer.com it happily shows my trip to Kabini. It is also possible to extract a segment, and perhaps use gpsbabel to convert it to a route.

But anyway I don't think my model of Nuvi allows to load a route and follow it later. If yours does, you can try the above (use the saved log to create route).
Old 23rd April 2012, 13:57   #2552
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Hi Kousik

Its never too late. In fact I just got back from my road trip to Bhutan. Thanks for the link. Am able to load my gpx file. Its working. I have 18 gpx files till now in the archive folder. Looks like some of the route are repeated in more than one files. So trying to figure out all the data.

Also trying to save them as html so that I can reuse them / post it in my site etc.

In fact as I mentioned I tried downloading Basecamp and Mapsource from Garmin website but both software failed to install in my system. This is much more easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousik View Post
Sorry if my answer is too late, but my Garmin Nuvi (1100) saves the log in archive/NN.gpx files,
Old 23rd April 2012, 16:02   #2553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Do not be too sure. I got this reply on the 15th February
I too have been checking with SatGuide from Feb. for update of their map for my Garmin. Every time the answer was - "end of the month". First it was end Feb, then end March and currently end April.
I've now downloaded the Sygic map from MMI for my Galaxy phone. Found it quite accurate in the city. I'm doing a Hyd - Mysore - Coonoor trip next month and will see how good the MMI/Sygic map is on the highways.

Last edited by John : 23rd April 2012 at 16:06.
Old 30th April 2012, 11:07   #2554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
I too have been checking with SatGuide from Feb. for update of their map for my Garmin. Every time the answer was - "end of the month". First it was end Feb, then end March and currently end April.
I've now downloaded the Sygic map from MMI for my Galaxy phone. Found it quite accurate in the city. I'm doing a Hyd - Mysore - Coonoor trip next month and will see how good the MMI/Sygic map is on the highways.
Trust me, MMI is by far the best map for India till date. While thier Sygic map is indeed good, see if you can lay your hands on Sygic Aura version. That version has an added feature of google search which can be extremely useful.

MMI also provides the same mapdata on a garmin format as well.
Old 7th May 2012, 11:09   #2555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vu2pmc View Post
Trust me, MMI is by far the best map for India till date. While thier Sygic map is indeed good, see if you can lay your hands on Sygic Aura version. That version has an added feature of google search which can be extremely useful.

MMI also provides the same mapdata on a garmin format as well.
Absolutely right. Last 6 years I used almost every brand available in the market. Last one was Garmin. As an international brand I had lot of expectation but proved wrong even after 3rd and latest map upgrade.

Garmin devices are good, I bought MMI maps recently for my Garmin device. In my 3000 KM drive in south India proved that Garmin maps are the worst in the lot.

Looks like Garmin made maps by some Ariel mapping instead of driving through the actual roads. In one particular stretch I take driving to office, it take you to the road and ask for a longer diversion on mid way as 10mtr road is missing in their maps.

There is no customer care for garmin device, you never get a response to mails.
Old 7th May 2012, 13:16   #2556
BHPian

Called up Satguide to find out the latest map for Garmin PNDs (infact, i am following up with them for the last 2 months and i was promised updates will happen in March).

I was informed that the new map version 10 is not compatible with Garmin devices and there are technical issues which they are unable to resolve. They have taken help from Garmin for resolution and would take atleast a month.
Old 14th May 2012, 12:02   #2557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svkndv View Post
Absolutely right. Last 6 years I used almost every brand available in the market. Last one was Garmin. As an international brand I had lot of expectation but proved wrong even after 3rd and latest map upgrade.

Garmin devices are good, I bought MMI maps recently for my Garmin device. In my 3000 KM drive in south India proved that Garmin maps are the worst in the lot.

Looks like Garmin made maps by some Ariel mapping instead of driving through the actual roads. In one particular stretch I take driving to office, it take you to the road and ask for a longer diversion on mid way as 10mtr road is missing in their maps.

There is no customer care for garmin device, you never get a response to mails.
I have used Garmin devices for the last 8 years and they function very well. It seems your issues are related to the maps loaded on the device!
Old 14th May 2012, 12:10   #2558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkap01 View Post
I have used Garmin devices for the last 8 years and they function very well. It seems your issues are related to the maps loaded on the device!
Do you mean you used Garmin Maps in India? Even National Highways are not mapped correctly. If you travel from Cochin to Bangalore by car, You get minimum 100 times "Take diversion" "make a U-Turn" from Highway. I used the latest map xx.40.

A citi road which was existing for more than 10 years does not appear in Map. I am not sure the reason behind they use NavTeq map they use in India. NavTeQ is the free map available for Nokia devices.
Old 14th May 2012, 14:51   #2559
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by svkndv View Post
Do you mean you used Garmin Maps in India? Even National Highways are not mapped correctly. If you travel from Cochin to Bangalore by car, You get minimum 100 times "Take diversion" "make a U-Turn" from Highway. I used the latest map xx.40.

A citi road which was existing for more than 10 years does not appear in Map. I am not sure the reason behind they use NavTeq map they use in India. NavTeQ is the free map available for Nokia devices.
Are you referring to maps sourced by Garmin? If yes, you should try the maps by third party suppliers
like Mapmyindia or Satguide. MMI seems to be the best of all.

Last edited by ampere : 14th May 2012 at 15:03.
Old 14th May 2012, 14:57   #2560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Are you referring sourced by Garmin? If yes, you should try the maps by third party suppliers
like Mapmyindia or Satguide.
Currently I am using MMI maps for Garmin device. There is no question on Quality of garmin devices, which are very good. My point was Garmin's India maps (navteq) are not good. Bundling NavTeq maps prove them costly in long term india strategy.
Old 14th May 2012, 15:40   #2561
BANNED

@ampere; I have two year old Satguide maps for Garmin. Not bad. I just bought a new unit since it comes with Lifetime maps (Navteq). I must say that there were more accurate than the two year of Satguide. There was not much data for roads once you get out of a major town, but the NH network was dead accurate, Also, other stuff like water bodies is spot on. Considering these are from Navteq, the worlds largest maps organisation they will only get better. As it stands the file sizes for Satguide, MMI and Navteq are roughly 400MB, 650MB and 950MB. So obviously Navteq have much more stuff overall, even now. Also, MMI lifetime means two years!
Old 14th May 2012, 16:28   #2562
BHPian

Need a gps . Used to use a tomtom in UK. Here can I close my eyes and buy garmin? How much is Nuvi 50 and 40 lm?

Last edited by BurningHeart : 14th May 2012 at 16:29.
Old 14th May 2012, 18:10   #2563
BANNED

@BurningHeart: I paid 15,900 for my 4.3"LM. Check on Garmin India site.Should be Garmin India
Old 16th May 2012, 12:56   #2564
Team-BHP Support

Saw this news piece. New Garmin Products in India

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/shownews.asp...EWS&nid=211524
Old 16th May 2012, 14:10   #2565
BANNED

The 40LM and 50LM are both sub-10k products and new to India. Older stuff was 15k+.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks