Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2012, 10:09   #2566
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

So I did the trip from Dehradun to Dharwad in Karnataka. About 2400Kms. The Sygic application with Map My India software was perfect throughout the way. There were a few instances in Rajsthan where the the phone got quite hot due to being stuck on the windscreen and hanged. Then on I kept it in shade or in front of an AC duct.
The GPS worked spot on and seamlessly. All the restaurants and hotels were marked properly. When I detoured mumbai via gowdbunder, it recalculated the route perfectly.

All in all a very good investment of Rs.2400. Infact I am going to bangalore today and MMI is showing a perfectly straight route. Via the NH4. Where as if you check Google maps on the Android or on the PC, it will show two useless diversions on the way.

Just check it yourself. Dharwad to Bangalore. There will be 2 diversions from the NH4 uselessly. And will add a few KMS to the route.
Old 17th May 2012, 13:55   #2567
Distinguished - BHPian

Garmin India Map Update

Garmin India has released a map update version 2012.20 (previous version 2011.40). Get it ASAP

http://www.garmin.co.in/mapupdate/

Cheers!
Old 21st May 2012, 17:17   #2568
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Guys,

I am looking for GPS device with Reverse Camera for my Safari, in the price range of 15k including reverse camera. What are the good options and where do I get the best deal in Pune?

Please help.
Old 21st May 2012, 17:41   #2569
BHPian

I have the 2008 maps from MapMyIndia on a Navman F25 and was wondering if I can get newer maps for it. Sure, the device is old but I don't want to toss it away just yet because it has much quicker GPS lock times than my Nokia (on an average the Nokia takes 15 mins to lock on). The advantage you get with a Nokia is that they provide updated Ovi Maps and they don't charge for the updates.
Old 23rd May 2012, 09:33   #2570
BANNED

Re: Garmin India Map Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Garmin India has released a map update version 2012.20 (previous version 2011.40). Get it ASAP

Garmin India | mapupdate
Went to the site. First had a problem with login on the .tw site. From the US site got and installed the software upgrade, fixed to .tw site login (wanted teh user name), then got and installed the new Garmin Communicator, and managed to download the file typeC.exe (518MB) and the unlock code. Removed the uSD card as asked for. when I tried to run the file I get an error (jpg attached). On cancelling the install I get a blank screen with just the install window and have to do an <ESC> to get out of it.

OS Win64 fully up to date, Browser Firefox 12.0, Firewalled through proxy.

Please advise.
Attached Thumbnails
The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-garmin_err.jpg  

Last edited by sgiitk : 23rd May 2012 at 09:37.
Old 23rd May 2012, 09:57   #2571
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Went to the site. First had a problem with login on the .tw site. From the US site got and installed the software upgrade, fixed to .tw site login (wanted teh user name), then got and installed the new Garmin Communicator, and managed to download the file typeC.exe (518MB) and the unlock code. Removed the uSD card as asked for. when I tried to run the file I get an error (jpg attached). On cancelling the install I get a blank screen with just the install window and have to do an <ESC> to get out of it.

Please advise.
To my understanding, this app wants to access the internet for some reason and your firewall is not allowing so (normal for IITs' network).
I suggest to try some other internet connection (may be from your phone or something) which will allow this application to access internet.
Old 23rd May 2012, 10:05   #2572
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
On cancelling the install I get a blank screen with just the install window and have to do an <ESC> to get out of it.

Please advise.
Let me also try and update the maps, haven't done so as I was caught up in other matters.

From the message it looks like an issue with connecting thru the firewall when the installer calls a function in the DLL. Can you turn off the firewall temporarily & retry? If you are on a business network, you could try using a data card/dongle for a direct connection to the 'net.

If that doesn't work, some tips here:

Resolve the Windows installation error 0x80040707 | TechRepublic

Sims House Party, setup launches and then closes immediately, giving - Microsoft Answers

Cheers!
Old 23rd May 2012, 10:09   #2573
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
I have the 2008 maps from MapMyIndia on a Navman F25 and was wondering if I can get newer maps for it.
The advantage you get with a Nokia is that they provide updated Ovi Maps and they don't charge for the updates.
Did you get the device bundled with MMI maps? I have seen map update options in MMI store online, if you have maps supporting your device you may be able to download it. However I find the update prices bit high. Also, is the latest maps much updated in content that you would want to pay a high price for update ?

Yes, Nokia maps have free updates, however I found their maps to be very unreliable for non NH routes. Many of SH's also are not covered properly. For city use I did find it sufficient.
Old 23rd May 2012, 10:27   #2574
BANNED

Thanks folks for the prompt responses Finally got the thing done. Had to use my laptop. First the communicator upgrade was messed up, so downloaded the full 401 and installed. I just remembered that the upgrade of FireFox had some message about incompatibility with Garmin Comm. However, the comm had installed fine and also tested out in FF. At this I switched to my laptop. The firewall was not an issue nor was the proxy (my desktop runs FF without proxy and IE with proxy - different settings are deliberate). I did have the option of my Photon Plus but did not need it.

Now I copied the upgrade and the unlock code into the laptop. Then went to mygarmin.com and logged in in IE (with proxy). In order for the upgrade to work I had to connect the USB to a USB 2 port (was getting no device error on USB 3, even though the storage was showing as a drive, so much for compatibility vis a vis Garmin Software!). Then I ran the installer (two attempts) it upgraded the maps and did not ask for the unlock code either. Probably the serial told it not to bother. I have checked and have the latest maps.

Now I am wondering whether I will also have Singapore and Malaysia maps as the newer units seem to be having.
Old 23rd May 2012, 10:32   #2575
BHPian

Anyone purchased 40LM and 50LM Garmin devices? Planning to get one soon. Review would greatly help. The site shows lifetime maps and the device costs < 10k.
Old 23rd May 2012, 11:09   #2576
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon009 View Post
Anyone purchased 40LM and 50LM Garmin devices? Planning to get one soon. Review would greatly help. The site shows lifetime maps and the device costs < 10k.
I think some of the bells and whistles may be missing. They are fantastic VFM and truly throw down to gauntlet for MMI to respond. They are pricing one year's maps at about 7k, and their LM is just two years as given in a earlier post.
Old 23rd May 2012, 11:24   #2577
Distinguished - BHPian

After the rigmarole of logging into Mygarmin I was finally able to update the maps to 2012.20.

But the update process was not without errors. The installer could not connect to the remote server and a 'process error' message kept popping up as the installer could not connect to the remote server possibly for authentication. If anybody gets this message, the solution is to keep trying till the remote server responds.

Garmin's update process is not exactly smooth.

Cheers!
Old 23rd May 2012, 13:48   #2578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Did you get the device bundled with MMI maps? I have seen map update options in MMI store online, if you have maps supporting your device you may be able to download it. However I find the update prices bit high. Also, is the latest maps much updated in content that you would want to pay a high price for update ?

Yes, Nokia maps have free updates, however I found their maps to be very unreliable for non NH routes. Many of SH's also are not covered properly. For city use I did find it sufficient.
The Navman F25 wasn't sold with the MMI maps - they replaced the maps that were on the device. NH7 (now known as NH44) has changed over the past few years and continues to change such that you need to take an exit to get to towns and villages along the road. Also, sometimes the MMI maps and software point me the wrong way at times although it does display the correct route on the device.

In comparison, the Nokia Ovi maps usually point me the right way. The updates have the new routes, but the disadvantage is that it has fewer points of interest than the MMI maps. Also, Nokia devices take longer to lock on to GPS and are better suited for always-on use.
Old 23rd May 2012, 14:16   #2579
BANNED

@R2D2; I have mailed the image of the error message to the resident Windows Guru. I had installed the Win7Pro-64 on my laptop about six months after the desktop and had SP1 built in. I think it connects t the remote server since it needs the licensing information from there. Also, by the looks of it mygarmin Taiwan integration with the parent site is not great.

What I have learnt is, that it is possible (at least on the laptop) and may have hassles. As for the Firefox v IE issue I expect that to be fixed soon, as so far I have been working with FF only! The Communicator giving the thumbs up and also software upgrade occurring happily does no indicate the perils to come.

Also, from Garmin.com you do not get any indication of the upgrade being there.
Old 23rd May 2012, 14:39   #2580
BANNED

As for the error I was getting here is some information Q&A: Error Number: 0x80040707 | TechRepublic

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks