Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2012, 12:50   #2596
Team-BHP Support

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

After using MMI 6.0 maps in my Garmin extensively, I am finally convinced about the reliability of MMI maps. Now I need a permanent GPS solution for my GV.

Has anyone tried the AVN-R units from MMI. I am really tempted by this: AVN-R for Maruti Suzuki Grand Vitara: OE Fit 2-Din In-Dash Navigation and Entertainment Systems from MapmyIndia

It even has steering wheel integration. Is this some cheap chinese make or a good quality product? One never knows with MMI's habit of selling cheap chinese hardware at high prices. How is the ICE performance of this unit?

Last edited by Samurai : 4th June 2012 at 12:53.
Old 4th June 2012, 13:01   #2597
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Many (if not all) of MMI's devices are made in China
Old 4th June 2012, 13:15   #2598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Many (if not ...
All of MMI's devices are made in China. No other country, including India, has that capability currently.
Old 4th June 2012, 13:22   #2599
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
All of MMI's devices are made in China. No other country, including India, has that capability currently.
I know that, but even iPhone is made in China.

I want to know whether this AVN-R product is el-cheapo Chinese product or a high-quality Chinese product. A bad product can even cause short-circuit and burn down the car. Just want to be very careful, that's all.
Old 4th June 2012, 13:29   #2600
Distinguished - BHPian

MMI would provide wty for this - and hence may not be a cheapo Chinese. Likely to be their regular product - esp at 40k MRP
Old 4th June 2012, 13:33   #2601
Team-BHP Support

MMI devices are El-Cheapo chinese products, atleast as far as their 15000-20,000 navigators are concerned.

Price to procure these is less than 80$ for a 5" unit, so offering warranty is not a problem. Even if every customer gets a free replacement, they get tidy profits.

I would always recommend spending 20K on a tablet and go for a complete multimedia-gps system rather than paying 15000 for just a GPS navigator
Old 4th June 2012, 13:39   #2602
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
MMI devices are El-Cheapo chinese products, atleast as far as their 15000-20,000 navigators are concerned.
I would always recommend spending 20K on a tablet and go for a complete multimedia-gps system rather than paying 15000 for just a GPS navigator
This one is a 40K Audio-Video-Nav-ReverseVideo unit, and fully integrated into the dash and steering wheel control. Hence my interest. The tablet route won't get me either.
Old 4th June 2012, 13:44   #2603
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This one is a 40K Audio-Video-Nav-ReverseVideo unit, and fully integrated into the dash and steering wheel control. Hence my interest. The tablet route won't get me either.
Surprisingly, their website does not list any technical specifications (Chipset, manufacturer, number of channels, power output etc., etc.,
I suggest you email them and ask them about the "spec-sheet".
Old 7th June 2012, 09:18   #2604
BANNED

This may be a real game changer. Google announcing full downloads of maps for offline use.

Google announces full offline mapping mode for Android smartphones | ZDNet
Old 7th June 2012, 09:20   #2605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk
This may be a real game changer. Google announcing full downloads of maps for offline use.

Awesome. Now we will have superb navigation solution free of cost.
I believe they will also provide updates periodically.
Old 7th June 2012, 09:39   #2606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post

Thank you, sgiitk. Good news indeed.

I am missing the Thank you button here.
Old 7th June 2012, 20:12   #2607
Distinguished - BHPian

I seem to have most of the bits I need cached anyway, but still, it was a major deficiency, especially when Nokia offers decent off-line maps for absolutely free.

Wouldn't it be nice if, at the same time, Google lets up on this ridiculous restriction on navigation, to save us the trouble of getting round it.

Slightly glad I didn't rush to buy the Sygic, although its still on the cards.
Old 7th June 2012, 20:53   #2608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post

i agree this will be game changer, and maybe standalone GPS devices may go obsolete also will google allow offline navigation and any limitation on more than 10 miles radius?. This doubts were raised in some reviews
Old 8th June 2012, 09:26   #2609
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Have you guys checked the NavFree. It's based on open street map and looks like it can download and store the map by country.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....OSM.ALL&hl=en
Old 8th June 2012, 14:53   #2610
Distinguished - BHPian

Open Street Map just will not do.

For those that are keen on mapping and want to join the community and contribute to it (and hats off to them!) it is a wonderful project. Otherwise, it is just incomplete.

Whilst I regret the monopolistic power and position of Google (but not enough to make me habitually use a different search engine), in the long run it is going to be impossible to beat. Even though, in the short term, I might buy their products, I am not going to buy any shares in companies that sell their maps!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks