Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2012, 23:44   #2611
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Hi guyz,
I am looking to buy a GPS-enable phone for navigation. I will be doing quite a few long drives in the near future. After going through all the different threads on TBHP and internet, I am a confused soul :(

I understand that I can Puchase Andriod/Windows phone and then buy maps from MMI/Satguide
But that will need additional money. Is there any good option where I can get the same stuff done without spending money?
I am talking about offline GPS navigation only without connecting to wi-fi or GPRS.

Options -
  1. Purchase Android and use some free software like Navfree or is there a way to use google navigation offline.Anyone got experience with Navfree - how good is their coverage? What I learnt is google navigation has limitation in terms on the total distance covered etc. even if you cache some maps. Is that true?Any other option?
  2. Purchase Windows mobile - do they have free navigation? If yes, how good is that?
  3. Purchase a Nokia phone - I understand they offer free lifetime navigation and their maps are very good. Is that correct? I understand that Symbian is not the in-thing, but is this the best option for a GPS navigation on phone without spending additional money

Please suggest!

Thanks,
Aadi
Old 8th June 2012, 23:52   #2612
Team-BHP Support

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Hi guyz,
I am looking to buy a GPS-enable phone for navigation.
Buy any phone that has s/w available in GPS Navigation India | Personal Navigation Device(PND) | Turn by Turn Navigation

I got Sat Guide maps free with my Windows Asus P527 phone. The phone is obsolete by today's standards. So you will not find it anywhere.

But I still use these maps and the phone. Very happy with both.
Old 9th June 2012, 11:25   #2613
Team-BHP Support

And now I hear this! Apple may get into mapping.

Apple may launch its own mapping service - The Times of India
Old 12th June 2012, 14:19   #2614
Senior - BHPian

Apple will now provide TomTom maps as part of iOS.

So, all Apple users should be able to use TomTom's data for offline Navigation in few months.

In India, TomTom has been building Mapping data for last 4 - 5 years. Good to see competition in Mapping space in India among global providers (TomTom/Navteq/Google).

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/11/a...om-ios-6-maps/

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 12th June 2012 at 14:19. Reason: Added source link
Old 12th June 2012, 14:43   #2615
Team-BHP Support

Hope every thing is offline storage rather than online. The only question is once Google has
mentioned that even they would be supporting offline mode, we need to see how this decision
turns out to be. Definitely good to have competition though.
Old 12th June 2012, 15:25   #2616
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Google has mentioned that even they would be supporting offline mode, we need to see how this decision turns out to be.
Yaa, it would be a bummer if Apple decides not to support offline capability. TomTom already has offline capability and hopefully Apple will maintain that (and not just gobble up map data).

Quote:
Definitely good to have competition though.
+1. Now that both Android and Windows Phone support offline navigation, not supporting offline usage would be a tough sell.
Old 12th June 2012, 16:08   #2617
BANNED

Apple are breaking their deal with Google for the maps. Let is see how things develop from here.
Old 13th June 2012, 12:36   #2618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
+1. Now that both Android and Windows Phone support offline navigation, not supporting offline usage would be a tough sell.
I thought Android phones do not support offline navigation by default and you have to install some software like Sygic/mapmyindia to have offline navigation.
Is it something new which has been added to ICS? clarify
Old 13th June 2012, 13:31   #2619
Distinguished - BHPian

It's not to do with "by default." There is no lack of support, technically, as evidenced by the offline applications that you mention.

It must have been a commercial decision at some point not to supply it out of the box, and also for Google Maps not to support navigation except in select countries. Why, I cannot imagine: it delivers a big advantage to Nokia.
Old 13th June 2012, 13:43   #2620
BHPian

Quote:
I thought Android phones do not support offline navigation by default and you have to install some software like Sygic/mapmyindia to have offline navigation.
Is it something new which has been added to ICS? clarify
If your phone has a GPS receiver, you can use any offline navigation maps.

We can cache googlemaps for specific route/region prior to the travel and then use it while travelling.
I sort of did that using Google Nexus during my recent trip. Just to test the Navigation, I loaded the region/route in googlemaps of the phone using a data connection. Then used the navigation without data connection for the entire route.

Else Have a look at Nokia smartphones if navigation is a key criteria and Android is not. They are preloaded with OVI maps (or you can download the maps for specfic country) and it is very good. Best part - offline turn-by-turn navigation.
I have a Nokia N86 with updated OVI maps and am very happy with the GPS performance.

Last edited by nfsfreak : 13th June 2012 at 13:45.
Old 13th June 2012, 14:04   #2621
Senior - BHPian

^^
Thanks for the information. I read somewhere that the caching of the google maps has some limitation in terms of how much can be cached. Also, there is no turn-by-turn voice nvigation as far as I know.
I think this is a serious drawback in Android phones.

Yes, I know about Nokia phones having free maps and navigation and that too for lifetime. It's unfortunate that Nokia didn't go the Android way!
Old 13th June 2012, 16:02   #2622
BANNED

Quote:
^^
Thanks for the information. I read somewhere that the caching of the google maps has some limitation in terms of how much can be cached. Also, there is no turn-by-turn voice navigation as far as I know.
Google have just announced that off-line maps will be available. So wait for some time.
Old 13th June 2012, 17:08   #2623
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I thought Android phones do not support offline navigation by default ...
Is it something new which has been added to ICS?
Yes, new maps version would be available in July that would enable turn by turn navigation + full offline usage in google maps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It must have been a commercial decision at some point not to supply it out of the box, and also for Google Maps not to support navigation except in select countries. Why, I cannot imagine: it delivers a big advantage to Nokia.
It was dfinetly a commercial decision. Since Nokia does not matter in commercial terms (not anymore :( ), Google did not have any reason to support offline.

Now, with Apple moving away from Google map data, Google has every reason to make its Map product appealing.

Quote:
Thanks for the information. I read somewhere that the caching of the google maps has some limitation in terms of how much can be cached. Also, there is no turn-by-turn voice nvigation as far as I know.
With new Map version, both limitations would be removed. You can download maps for whole country.
Old 13th June 2012, 18:57   #2624
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
^^

Yes, I know about Nokia phones having free maps and navigation and that too for lifetime. It's unfortunate that Nokia didn't go the Android way!
You can buy a good Android phone and buy MMI maps (called sygic) for 2500/-.
These maps get stored in SD card of the phone, MMI maps at this price is a very good value for money.
Old 13th June 2012, 23:19   #2625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can buy a good Android phone and buy MMI maps (called sygic) for 2500/-.
These maps get stored in SD card of the phone, MMI maps at this price is a very good value for money.
Yeah, was aware of that...I guess the price is around 2000. need to double-check. What if my phone does not have a SD card and runs only on internal memory (assuming enough internal memory to be available)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Yes, new maps version would be available in July that would enable turn by turn navigation + full offline usage in google maps.

With new Map version, both limitations would be removed. You can download maps for whole country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Google have just announced that off-line maps will be available. So wait for some time.
Thanks for this piece of news. Is it going to available for all Android phones or will it be available with ICS only? I am in the process of buying an Android phone.. so would be interested to know.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks