Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2012, 10:29   #2671
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
One of the best experience i've had is with a friends Samsung Galaxy S2 loaded with Sygic Aura 11 & Mapmyindia maps!

Frankly.. the SGS 2 with the Samsung Vehicle Car dock kit coupled with the Sygic Aura + MMI map combo... should serve any GPS needs.
Vandit, do you know from where one gets this Samsung Vehicle car dock kit? From the official Indian website?
Old 13th July 2012, 10:34   #2672
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
Vandit, do you know from where one gets this Samsung Vehicle car dock kit? From the official Indian website?
Your best bet would be to go to Heera Panna if you're in mumbai. If not.. then go to the nearest Samsung store (not retailers but pref a main company distributor and ask for it).

I got mine from Flipkart but they were sold out in record time and never came back in stock. There are some guys selling it on Ebay.. but i think are quoting 200-500 bucks more than what it was going for.

By far.. it's the best made-for-SGS2 kit. Alternatively you can get any universal mount and use it if you cant get the kit.
Old 13th July 2012, 10:49   #2673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
Your best bet would be to go to Heera Panna if you're in mumbai. If not.. then go to the nearest Samsung store (not retailers but pref a main company distributor and ask for it).

I got mine from Flipkart but they were sold out in record time and never came back in stock. There are some guys selling it on Ebay.. but i think are quoting 200-500 bucks more than what it was going for.

By far.. it's the best made-for-SGS2 kit. Alternatively you can get any universal mount and use it if you cant get the kit.
How much did it cost you? & how much should i be looking at buying it for from "Heera Panna"? Uh, is this a store or a road? New in Mumbai

Have the S2 & love the google maps navigation though with your review of the Sygic a little confused, so the only thing missing in the car is a mount, without which i have to keep fidgeting with my phone on the passenger seat or ask the passenger to hold it up which is a major distraction
Old 13th July 2012, 11:03   #2674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
How much did it cost you? & how much should i be looking at buying it for from "Heera Panna"? Uh, is this a store or a road? New in Mumbai

Have the S2 & love the google maps navigation though with your review of the Sygic a little confused, so the only thing missing in the car is a mount, without which i have to keep fidgeting with my phone on the passenger seat or ask the passenger to hold it up which is a major distraction

ROFL. Alright. Heera Panna is the "Grey Market" of mumbai along with Manish Market.. but anyways.. its a small shopping arcade located at Hajji Ali in Mumbai (South Bombay). Google the location. You can get there by train (get off at Mahalaxmi.. and walk it down.. not more than 10mins) or by road as well. Popular landmarks for the area are SOBO Central (another mall/formerly crossroads mall)/Hajji Ali Dargah/Race Course .. etc which you wont really need.. just ask anyone for Heera Panna and you'll be guided

I had paid around 1800 approx (dont remember the exact price) but this was over 4 months ago.

Sygic's display interface during navigation mode is simply perfect in my opinion. You can customise the details but it's GUI interface and ease of use was the easiest and the best amongst the other stuff i've seen (Satguide/Garmin). Coupled with the latest edition of MMI maps... it's all you'll need.

Google a bit and you'll see screenshots of how it looks in various modes..

Last edited by Vandit : 13th July 2012 at 11:06.
Old 13th July 2012, 11:26   #2675
Senior - BHPian

I use HTC Flyer + Sygic + MMI Maps and it works wonderfully for me. Though I need a sturdy Mount for tablet, the one I have now is little shaky
Old 13th July 2012, 13:55   #2676
BHPian

Has anyone tried Sygic on HTC One S/X? I am facing issues, it keeps freezing whenever it tries to load the maps. I have already tried re-installing the application.
Old 20th July 2012, 20:48   #2677
Senior - BHPian

Sygic 12.1 for android is out.
Old 22nd July 2012, 17:02   #2678
Distinguished - BHPian

A licensing change in Ver 12.1 for Android - you can install the software on FIVE android devices whether they are phones or tabs. Bravo Sygic. This was sorely needed for people with multiple units.

Go here - Sygic | Support. And then click on the "What is new in Sygic v.12.1 for Android"
Old 22nd July 2012, 18:18   #2679
BHPian

I have Nokia E6 Belle and keep software & India map updated, and have used few times. Most of the time, I keep it in Offline mode (internet data disabled). Few days back I was to travel Thailand (Bangkok and Phuket), and before leaving India I downloaded the Thailand maps on the device. But there in both cities, it never locked the signal even after 10 minutes. Due to the high data charges in International Roaming, I had keep it in offline. Any idea of this behavior ?
Old 23rd July 2012, 01:09   #2680
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
A licensing change in Ver 12.1 for Android - you can install the software on FIVE android devices whether they are phones or tabs.
That's a good deal, and unusual thinking for a sofware company . It's nice to support companies like that buying their software rather than, err, looking for alternatives

Is my observation correct that Sygic area World does not include India?

I want India, UK and Singapore. It would be cheaper to buy World if it did. I guess it doesn't because they have to pay MMI for it.
Old 23rd July 2012, 18:21   #2681
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
That's a good deal, and unusual thinking for a sofware company . It's nice to support companies like that buying their software rather than, err, looking for alternatives

Is my observation correct that Sygic area World does not include India?

I want India, UK and Singapore. It would be cheaper to buy World if it did. I guess it doesn't because they have to pay MMI for it.
For some unknown (to me) reason, India is excluded from the world package.

Actually Sygic has listened to a lot of customer requests, IIRC, over a year now and made a change to their licensing policy. Very encouraging and I think they will reap the rewards.

Also, they have 2 apps for Android - one with Sygic maps, not sure who is the map data supplier, and the other version with MMI maps.
Old 24th July 2012, 10:46   #2682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
A licensing change in Ver 12.1 for Android - you can install the software on FIVE android devices whether they are phones or tabs. Bravo Sygic. This was sorely needed for people with multiple units.

Go here - Sygic | Support. And then click on the "What is new in Sygic v.12.1 for Android"
Yes. Indeed that is very nice.
However, the restriction exists in the form of Google Play account.
So, from practical perspective, you cannot add/ license the copy installed on your wife's mobile, for instance using your license.

From Sygic:
>>
If your Sygic GPS Navigation license is bound to your Google Play account, please refer to Google Play Terms of Service for more details.

Or am I missing something?
Old 24th July 2012, 10:57   #2683
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Yes. Indeed that is very nice.
However, the restriction exists in the form of Google Play account.
So, from practical perspective, you cannot add/ license the copy installed on your wife's mobile, for instance using your license.

From Sygic:
>>
If your Sygic GPS Navigation license is bound to your Google Play account, please refer to Google Play Terms of Service for more details.

Or am I missing something?
As per the site all you need to do is to install the app on the next device, launch it and use the 'My Sygic' feature to enter your activation code and it will work. See the highlighted para.
Attached Thumbnails
The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-sygic.jpg  

Old 9th August 2012, 19:48   #2684
Team-BHP Support

Android based Carpad device from MMI

MapmyIndia extends GPS device range by launching CarPad 5 for Rs 19,990 « Consumer Tech « Techcircle.in – India Internet, mobile, consumer tech, business tech

CarPad: GPS Navigation and Entertainment for your car on a 3G Android tablet from MapmyIndia
Old 13th August 2012, 20:59   #2685
BHPian

Hi, I have question regarding Garmin 2565LM unit. I am interested in knowing

1. If you can "send" route from its PC software to unit or from google maps to this unit?
2. Can the unit itself record a travel session. Information like location, time, speed etc. I would eventually want to move this information back to PC for future use.

I see some of you have been using this unit. Can you please help me with this information?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks