Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2013, 10:58   #2866
Team-BHP Support

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
when i go to their online eshop, it gives me option to pay 19.99 € (only in euro).
i am sure it will come with tomtom maps. i want mapmyindia maps.
any solution?
I purchased the same through play store and even I had some problems.
Even after purchase, it started going into trial mode.

I had a long email exchanges with their folks and finally they said let the
trial mode run for a week (trial lasts for a week) and it continue with the full thing and not stop.
I was supposed to contact them if the trial mode continued.

Surprisingly I did not face a problem and even after a week, the full install continues to work.
Old 15th January 2013, 19:40   #2867
mxx
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Between Tomtom and Garmin, which has better maps for India?

PS: I am not interested in satnav, mmi devices, so please dont suggest or compare with those
Old 16th January 2013, 09:05   #2868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Between Tomtom and Garmin, which has better maps for India?

PS: I am not interested in satnav, mmi devices, so please dont suggest or compare with those
Garmin uses NAVTEQ Maps which is owned by Nokia now. these maps are much better detailed than Tomtom Maps used by Tomtom devices in India.

I am comparing this only for India maps.
Old 16th January 2013, 14:30   #2869
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday, i purchased Sygic Mapmyindia app from play store. ...when i go to their online eshop, it gives me option to pay 19.99 € (only in euro).
i am sure it will come with tomtom maps. i want mapmyindia maps.
any solution?
As far as I know, MapMyIndia is Sygic's one and only India map data supplier, and you get the same thing buying from Sygic store as you would from Google. Unless things have changed since I last looked/bought.
Old 16th January 2013, 14:53   #2870
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Garmin uses NAVTEQ Maps which is owned by Nokia now. these maps are much better detailed than Tomtom Maps used by Tomtom devices in India.

I am comparing this only for India maps.
Yes, Navteq are the worlds biggest digital map co. Their maps are now excellent covering most of the tier 2 and 3 cities as well. Probably MMI - Sygic are better, but only marginally. The fact that many Garmin models come with 'lifetime maps' makes the choice a no brainer.
Old 17th January 2013, 03:45   #2871
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
As far as I know, MapMyIndia is Sygic's one and only India map data supplier, and you get the same thing buying from Sygic store as you would from Google. Unless things have changed since I last looked/bought.
Has something changed?

I did a Sygic update today and the maps seem less clear than before
Old 17th January 2013, 13:33   #2872
BHPian

Quote:
Has something changed?

I updated one of my devices today morning after reading your mail. Didn't feel that kind of a difference.

They had pushed an update last week. That had lot of changes including a choice of 3 routes to a destination, and less intrusive buildings layer when you zoom in. Also now the android notification panel is visible while in sygic.
Old 17th January 2013, 14:18   #2873
BHPian

On my iPhone 4 I use Google Maps ever since I upgraded to iOS 6. Many a times it tells me routes that are shorter but not main roads or highways. This is the reason I prefer Sygic Map My India that I had on my jailbroken iPhone 3G.

Still Google Navigation does its job pretty well for a free app and its very fast as compared to Sygic.
Old 17th January 2013, 15:48   #2874
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

@Derezzed; Does Google not give you the option of selecting route preferences. My Garmin does. Of course in many towns the SH (or even NH) roads has been subsumed into a market, so using local knowledge to use alternative routes may be the best.
Old 17th January 2013, 17:14   #2875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derezzed View Post
Still Google Navigation does its job pretty well for a free app and its very fast as compared to Sygic.
One more difference is that you need network connectivity to use Google Navigation, the connectivity in remote destinations is always a problem. Sygic uses stored maps and navigation.

Somehow I have felt Google Navigations voice instructions are not very clear as compared to Sygic's choice of voices.
Old 17th January 2013, 19:36   #2876
BHPian

Quote:
Has something changed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknair View Post
I updated one of my devices today morning after reading your mail. Didn't feel that kind of a difference.
I too updated today morning and found no difference. And only the app gets an update, the maps for Tamilnadu remains the same as before.
Old 17th January 2013, 23:38   #2877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@Derezzed; Does Google not give you the option of selecting route preferences. My Garmin does. Of course in many towns the SH (or even NH) roads has been subsumed into a market, so using local knowledge to use alternative routes may be the best.
The Google Maps app on my iPhone 4 doesn't have an option for choosing 'Fastest route' or 'Shortest route'. It does allow me to avoid roads with toll booths (which I would never).

The Garmin software and its maps are great. I was using a Garmin nuvi unit in the US for nearly 3 years and was absolutely dependent on it. Even the Indian maps are equally good.

I appreciate your wise words: double checking with locals on the route I am taking always comforts me.
Old 18th January 2013, 01:04   #2878
BHPian

Friends,

Which is the cheapest & reliable India map available for a Garmin unit? My friend plans to get a Garmin unit from the US. Satguide which was selling for 990 bucks is going for 2000+ now :(
Old 18th January 2013, 10:57   #2879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I too updated today morning and found no difference. And only the app gets an update, the maps for Tamilnadu remains the same as before.
what maps version you have?
Old 18th January 2013, 12:17   #2880
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Oh well, I must be dreaming or crazy. Both perfectly possible! Thanks.

I should look at their site/documentation and check out the the things they have changed. I wonder of they updated the manual...

Most Viewed