Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2013, 11:14   #2926
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by areddy View Post
This genuinely sounds like an awesome deal. Would be great if somoeone can post a review.

I already have a Nuvi and I am sick of Garmin maps (in Bangalore it always takes me through the most busiest streets!). I was planning to buy just the maps, but I think I will spend the extra 2K and buy the full unit. My plan is to copy these maps and use it on my existing Nuvi (and gift it to my sister). Does it work?
Not sure if Garmin Nuvi comes with MMI pre loaded. To the best of my knowledge, Garmin always comes pre loaded with City Navigator India which is essentially navteq maps. However, Mapmyindia have maps for garmin devices which is way better than navteq maps. Copying maps is not that easy, though not impossible. you would need a few tools for that.
Old 25th March 2013, 13:30   #2927
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vu2pmc View Post
... Garmin always comes pre loaded with City Navigator India which is essentially navteq maps. However, Mapmyindia have maps for garmin devices which is way better than navteq maps. ...
In Bangalore, the Navteq-based Garmin maps are no better or worse than the MMI maps. Garmin has fewer mistakes in recorded Addresses (used when you search). MMI is slightly better in PoIs, but I didn't find that an advantage. I use a Garmin unit with both CN India maps as well as MMI maps.

Yes of course one can load an additional India map - in this case an MMI map - on an SD card and use it. Please remember that only 1 map is active at a time, so you need to rename 1 of the maps so that it is not recognized. Or use 2 different SD cards (like I do) with 2 different maps.

The problem highlighted by @areddy is not actually a problem. It is just that *EVERYONE* takes those roads that are supposed to be the shortest / most efficient. What happens when the road entries / exits are not built to handle beyond a certain level of traffic? Or drivers who can't - for whatever reason - drive beyond 30-40Kmph? Slow moving traffic and "most busiest streets"! Is that Garmin's fault? No, it isn't.

It will take a few more years for the cities to get a reliable dynamic traffic update system which the navigation devices can query to avoid busy roads. Yes, Garmin has such models which work only in US and Europe. And no - MMI doesn't. These have an FM receiver over which they receive this data, which is piggy-backed over FM radio channels. OE head-units which are navigation-capable have it in most Japanese, American and European cars. The radio infrastructure is in place in India, the dynamic update system isn't.
Old 25th March 2013, 14:08   #2928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
In Bangalore, the Navteq-based Garmin maps are no better or worse than the MMI maps. Garmin has fewer mistakes in recorded Addresses (used when you search). MMI is slightly better in PoIs, but I didn't find that an advantage. I use a Garmin unit with both CN India maps as well as MMI maps.

Yes of course one can load an additional India map - in this case an MMI map - on an SD card and use it. Please remember that only 1 map is active at a time, so you need to rename 1 of the maps so that it is not recognized. Or use 2 different SD cards (like I do) with 2 different maps.

The problem highlighted by @areddy is not actually a problem. It is just that *EVERYONE* takes those roads that are supposed to be the shortest / most efficient. What happens when the road entries / exits are not built to handle beyond a certain level of traffic? Or drivers who can't - for whatever reason - drive beyond 30-40Kmph? Slow moving traffic and "most busiest streets"! Is that Garmin's fault? No, it isn't.

It will take a few more years for the cities to get a reliable dynamic traffic update system which the navigation devices can query to avoid busy roads. Yes, Garmin has such models which work only in US and Europe. And no - MMI doesn't. These have an FM receiver over which they receive this data, which is piggy-backed over FM radio channels. OE head-units which are navigation-capable have it in most Japanese, American and European cars. The radio infrastructure is in place in India, the dynamic update system isn't.
Mapmyindia is now testing live beta updates in Delhi on thier OEM PND's. However many garmin units like Nuvi or Zumo are compatible with XM live traffic feeds. It is true that you can't have live traffic updates on Garmin units in India at this point in time.

When it comes to live traffic data, I guess Google Live traffic seems most reliable. With smart phones around everywhere, you could consider Google maps on your phone with live traffic enabled as an option.

May I also add that in most PND's give two routing options.
1. fastest
2. Shortest.
But in India, these two logic can go horribly wrong, quite regularly.

Last edited by vu2pmc : 25th March 2013 at 14:10.
Old 25th March 2013, 14:09   #2929
BANNED

I got a e-mail from Garmin India about 2013.10 being available. I checked the software update for my 2465LM (India site) and it is the same as I have from end 2012. Also, as usual the Taiwan site is not responding. Going by past experience that will start responding in about three-four days! So while I do not need the software update the map update will have to wait. Also, in case you are using a proxy that must be a direct (no proxy) connection. Remember to take the uSD card out before starting the update.
Old 25th March 2013, 14:30   #2930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vu2pmc View Post
... two routing options.
1. fastest
2. Shortest.
But in India, these two logic can go horribly wrong, quite regularly.
Well, the mapping options do their job quite well - it is the link with reality (or lack of it) that causes problems.

I remember once, late at night, I was returning home from a friends house, and I had to take a deviation because of some road work that they could only do at night. The selection was set to 'Shortest', and the unit took me through lanes and bylanes barely wide enough for my vehicle. AND there was a power failure in that area. We did get home eventually, but the end result was my wife refuses to believe any more that electronic navigation aids can do a sensible job!
Old 25th March 2013, 17:35   #2931
BHPian

Garmin Map Update 2013.10 for India can be downloaded from here (official server). File size is 1,151,985,327 bytes (1.1GB) thats with the Junction View and SID. The map only seems to be about 940MB.
Old 26th March 2013, 09:10   #2932
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikk View Post
Garmin Map Update 2013.10 for India can be downloaded from here (official server). File size is 1,151,985,327 bytes (1.1GB) thats with the Junction View and SID. The map only seems to be about 940MB.
Thanks. I downloaded the map file. It is 737.5MB and not 1.1GB! I do not have my 2465LM here so will try and get it and then try again. Garmin Express insists that a device be connected! I guess you went through Garmin Express. I also, need a 'desi' voice interface to get rid of the annoying NH > New Hampshire in the map interpretation.
Old 31st March 2013, 09:24   #2933
BANNED

I just ordered a Garmin 2465LM from cars.more on eBay for my son at 14,990, after confirming it is the India - LM unit. There was one for 14,300 also but I have had very good experiences with Nikhil in the past so have stuck with him.
Old 31st March 2013, 12:25   #2934
BHPian

My question is likely to be naive after 196 pages of discussion. I am a newbie to GPS On cars, would like to purchase one. But how do these devices connect to GPS satellites? on their own? or is it through the GPRS or 3G network of our cell phone which we are supposed to pair with these devices? I ask this as MapmyIndia device in Flipkart shows connectivity features as USB and bluetooth only ! Hence this doubt.
Old 31st March 2013, 18:46   #2935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthns View Post
... how do these devices connect to GPS satellites? on their own? ... I ask this as MapmyIndia device in Flipkart shows connectivity features as USB and bluetooth only ! Hence this doubt.
A GPS receiver - the essential part of a navigation device, whether a cellphone or a PND - is basically a radio receiver. It scans for and automatically locks on to available GPS satellite signals (yes, the satellites are always trasmitting, 24x7). The receiver computes it's location based on these signals.

Don't confuse this with connectivity of the receiver to the Navigation device, and the Navigation device (PND) to a computer.
* The former points to connectivity methods of AN EXTERNAL GPS RECEIVER to a navigation device (could be a computer itself) - that is what the USB and Bluetooth is about
* Usually GPS receivers are built-into cellphones, tablets and PNDs (a PND is a GPS receiver, touch-screen display and computer rolled in one small box), and in this case one wouldn't talk of USB / BT connectivity
* If one wants to use an external GPS receiver, it would be most likely with a computer which doesn't have it built-in
* If one wants to connect a Navigation device to a computer (for software updates, map loading or reading captured tracks), it is by default a USB connection

Most likely you looked at a small external GPS receiver, costing ~2-5K and the size of a matchbox. I don't think that is what you want. If you are looking for a Navigation device, it would cost you 8-20K, depending on features. Apart from MMI, you get Garmin and Tom Tom Navigation devices (PNDs) in India (and these companies don't sell external GPS receivers).

Instead of searching on the net, it is better you go to Croma or Reliance electronics stores and look at the units physically. There would be someone who can explain the features to you there.

Last edited by DerAlte : 31st March 2013 at 18:47.
Old 31st March 2013, 21:19   #2936
BHPian

Quote:

Instead of searching on the net, it is better you go to Croma or Reliance electronics stores and look at the units physically. There would be someone who can explain the features to you there.
Thank you for the detailed explanation! Will do the shopping physically!
Old 1st April 2013, 20:34   #2937
BHPian

Hi Gurus,

I have one query regarding a PND. Pls excuse if it is a noob question after so many pages of discussions. I have the option of having a PND bought in Singapore by one of my firends. It is some no name brand but specs are pretty good with HD display, Win CE V5, 500 mhz processor. My query is can I have this device and get some India specific maps from MMI or Garmin installed easily into this? Or such devices are locked and needs some complicated rooting /flushing etc? As per my friend who'd bought it, the device is navigation ready for Singapore / Malaysia. So, shall I get this in addition to my Nokia phone which has A GPS which is generally useful or I'd better off buying an India specific Garmin or MMI device?
Old 2nd April 2013, 09:46   #2938
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer4x4 View Post
Hi Gurus,

I have the option of having a PND bought in Singapore by one of my firends. It is some no name brand but specs are pretty good with HD display, Win CE V5, 500 mhz processor. My query is can I have this device and get some India specific maps from MMI or Garmin installed easily into this?
No luck here. Also, the LM option on Garmin makes it very attractive.
Old 2nd April 2013, 14:07   #2939
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer4x4 View Post
... can I have this device and get some India specific maps from MMI or Garmin installed easily into this? Or such devices are locked and needs some complicated rooting /flushing etc? ...
It all depends on how hands-on you are. If you are not, it is better to buy a Garmin, TomTom or MMI unit.

* No rooting / flushing will be required - this is Win CE after all!

* First you need to find out what Navigation software the unit is using. If that software accepts maps in Garmin or MMI formats, you would just need to buy and load the maps

* If the Navigation software on that unit does not accept maps of Garmin or MMI format, you will have to get the WinCE version of Garmin or Sygic navigation software, along with India maps, and load / install them on the unit
Old 2nd April 2013, 15:17   #2940
BHPian

Quote:
* If the Navigation software on that unit does not accept maps of Garmin or MMI format, you will have to get the WinCE version of Garmin or Sygic navigation software, along with India maps, and load / install them on the unit
I've not yet laid my hands on the item, so I don't know what software is being used or in which format in that device. And now that you've made me think the above, I think I am better off buying a Garmin or MMI, rather than go through all these headaches just to save few pennies.

BTW, how easy or difficult it is to swap maps in the Garmin /MMI devices? Meaning, if I have a Garmin device and want to add MMI maps or vice versa. Is it a simple copy paste / install "next>next>next" job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
No luck here. Also, the LM option on Garmin makes it very attractive.
Now, I'm also thinking of going for the Nuvi 50 or the MMI Vx140. BTW, if I buy it locally in India, do they come with the latest versions of maps preloaded or they come with generic maps and we need to upgrade again just after buying?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks