Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2013, 10:56   #2986
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Oh, Ok. May this is the reason many users has complained in Play store that they are getting a license error once they upgrade the application.
Old 2nd July 2013, 11:21   #2987
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

I have found google maps on your android phones to be more than what is required in indian conditions.. I have used it on city roads and on highways to decent satisfaction. In india, you can never get 100% accurate results with any kind of GPS/mapping systems. People are always digging existing roads, building new ones, making new one ways and two-ways, making 2 lanes to 4 lanes and vice versa.. Hence, when in doubt, it is always better to contact the locals for directions.

The GPS navigation on google maps is excellent and if you anyways subscribe to cheap 2G plans on your phones, it can provide you great route and voice assisted guidance.. It also pre-caches surrounding portions of the map from where you are, so that even if network is not available for a few kms, you really don't feel it. Of late, they have localized the text on maps so that when you are in a particular state, the road names on maps are shown in that language (atleast i've seen names in kannada here)

Unless you are extremely finicky about perfection, google maps fits the bill for phone based navigation systems any day.
Old 2nd July 2013, 11:30   #2988
BHPian

Last week used the Nokia Maps (on a Lumia) for Directions from Bangalore to Somnathpura. Worked very well. Waiting for a my Nokia N9 to see if the maps work well, else would be going in for a dedicated device.

One question: Between MMI & Garmin - Garmin has lifetime free maps (which is like 5 years) - which is the better. So far seen very few comparisons and not so conclusive. Any suggestions?
Old 2nd July 2013, 14:20   #2989
BANNED

Any idea as to what are Honda using in their City AVN?
Old 17th July 2013, 09:45   #2990
BANNED

Latest map update released by Garmin (v 2013.20). Also, now it is the India site and not the Taiwan Site. Looks a bit neater, I am downloading and we will see.

Also, on My 2645 when looking for Kanpur-Delhi it wants to go by NH91 and not NH2. The former is about 30km shorter, but the latter is GQ and also has Yamuna Expressway. How does one force the navigator to choose NH2.
Old 17th July 2013, 10:07   #2991
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Latest map update released by Garmin (v 2013.20). Also, now it is the India site and not the Taiwan Site. Looks a bit neater, I am downloading and we will see.
Asking the same question again: How is Navteq compared to MMI?
Any major differences for cities and highways ?
Old 17th July 2013, 10:25   #2992
BHPian

Quote:
How does one force the navigator to choose NH2.
try 'travel via' option in route.
Old 17th July 2013, 10:31   #2993
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Navteq maps are used in the Nokia HERE maps whereas the MMI uses its own data. I have used both - the Here app on iOS and Windows Phone and MMI on my in dash caska unit. I personally find MMI much more superior and clear to the hour numbers and roads of my interest - so far KA, GA and MH. All NH and SH are covered whichever i have traversed so far. Never even once it failed me. Nokia Here maps are good too but because its on the phones i somehow felt not so useful compared to MMI.

But having used both i can personally recommend MMI with regular updates of 2-3 years duration should be a great deal.

On the other thought - Garmin devices also use Navteq data. And those devices at least in north america are damn good. Better than any other devices I have seen. So it may be worth looking at Garmin devices with Navteq data. Any tbhpians having used this and compared to MMI?
Old 17th July 2013, 10:34   #2994
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How does one force the navigator to choose NH2.
You can add via point and create a multi point route as well. Most of the mapping softwares compute the route based on your set preferences such as road type, distance and condition, toll etc. If for some reason your choice of road is excluded from suggested route - try changing the route preferences.

Edit Note - should have used the multi-quote. Didn't notice the question at first glance that i could answer in one go :(

Last edited by abirnale : 17th July 2013 at 10:35. Reason: forgot to use multi-quote! So added comment for back to back edits.
Old 17th July 2013, 11:19   #2995
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
As far as I know MMI and Navteq are equally good for Highways and larger towns (Tier 2 and above). But for mofussil towns MMI is better.
Old 17th July 2013, 11:51   #2996
BANNED

Let me add the update went very smoothly this time - for the first time.
Old 17th July 2013, 19:33   #2997
Senior - BHPian

I too use a Garmin Nuvi 200 and had the Satnav maps on them till about a few months back. Switched over to Openstreet Maps. They are free, exhaustive and come out with monthly updates.

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

You may like to try it out.

Quote:

Let me add the update went very smoothly this time - for the first time.
Old 18th July 2013, 13:40   #2998
BHPian

Quote:
Any idea as to what are Honda using in their City AVN?
Sir, Honda is using MapmyIndia maps in City AVN.
Old 18th July 2013, 14:12   #2999
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
Sir, Honda is using MapmyIndia maps in City AVN.
Thanks. I think my son would prefer those - not me, since he had Sygic on his mobile.
Old 20th July 2013, 06:56   #3000
BHPian

I had been using a Garmin GPS with the updated Garmin specific software by Maps my India in Bangalore. I did not find it very useful as the updated version does not incorporate many changes that have taken place. Road changes in Bangalore are a nightmare of course as the roads are difficult to understand unless you have a lot of exposure to them.
Luckily, I overcame my reluctance to check out the Google maps application on my I phone.Though the screen is small, the voice prompts are clear, accurate and do not cause any distraction while driving.On a clear stretch, a quick glance at the screen gives you all the road information on what to expect.. The destination options seem to be more too and easy to find.
Over all, I found the updated information and the guidance better than what I was getting than from a dedicated GPS.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks