Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2013, 15:07   #3001

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Just back from a Goa/Amboli Ghat trip. The Sygic / MapMyIndia on my Android is just brilliant. Had all POI in Goa. Navigation is excellent as well. If you don't like a route it selects, just put a via point in between. It works. And it never tried to route me through gallis. Routes through proper routes. Rs. 2K well spent!
Blue_pulsar: Which was the device you used? I had visited a few mobile stores (UniverCell, Sangeeta et al) and wanted to check which of the android devices can be used for car navigation since I am looking for a device purely for navigation. Unfortunately, no one in the stores has a clue. They all know about the camera, the games and so on but no one seems to have heard of navigation!

I have used MMI device of a friend for long drives and the maps are just wonderful. But their hardware is absolutely pathetic. Looking for a cheap smart phone which can do the job. In fact a tablet (micromax funbook perhaps) may be a better choice since they come with larger screen size for similar price.

Anyone used a Funbook (560/600 or anything else) with Sygic MMI maps?
Old 12th August 2013, 13:43   #3002
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrainsky View Post
... wanted to check which of the android devices can be used for car navigation since I am looking for a device purely for navigation. ...
As long as the tablet has a GPS receiver built-in, you can use it for Navigation. Check the specs of the model on-line. The cheaper ones (less than ~8K) usually don't have GPS receivers and BT.
Old 12th August 2013, 14:22   #3003
BHPian

Hi,

There is a Sygic & MapmyIndia offer on Google Play Store, priced at INR 299

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...aura_mmi&hl=en

If I purchase this app and run in on my Samsung Tablet, will I be able to use the full Navigational features? Do I need to purchase a dedicate GPS Unit for this?

Any additional purchases I need to make to achieve full fledged navigational features on my Tablet? It already had GPS Built in, if that helps.

Thanks!
Old 12th August 2013, 14:52   #3004
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Hi,

Any additional purchases I need to make to achieve full fledged navigational features on my Tablet? It already had GPS Built in, if that helps.
If GPS is built in feature, you don't need additional hardware. Sygic navigation should work.
Old 12th August 2013, 15:57   #3005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
The app in play store would always be older version that the other global app (Sygic) https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...gic.aura&hl=en. Therefore, I advice to buy the map from Sygic.com and using the code in the Sygic global app.
Just to clarify a bit, are you saying that the maps, if bought from sygic.com, will have the latest version?

If yes, can you please advise if I am looking at the right place to buy it?

Old 12th August 2013, 17:23   #3006
BANNED

Quote:
Just to clarify a bit, are you saying that the maps, if bought from sygic.com, will have the latest version?
To clarify, the software will be older version if bought from play store instead of sygic.com. Map versions would be same.

Btw it's been long time, since we have receive india map update on sygic (they are 1 year old now). I have queried with Sygic support regarding new maps, but they have no info.
Old 12th August 2013, 17:58   #3007
Distinguished - BHPian

And the India maps are an incompatible version with other, more-up-to-date country maps, so one can own more than one country set, but not have incompatible sets simultaneously available. It's a hassle. Files have to be removed, etc etc to switch countries. At least, this is my experience with India and Singapore.

OK, it is no hassle if only used in India, and it is only a moderate hassle to do occasionally, but it would be a nuisance for frequent travellers.

I suppose Sygic are powerless in the face of not getting updates, new formats, etc, from MMI.
Old 12th August 2013, 19:15   #3008
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
... I suppose Sygic are powerless in the face of not getting updates, new formats, etc, from MMI.
Since theirs is a commercial relationship, Sygic can't expect MMI to give anything for free. There have been updates to MMI map data in the meanwhile, and probably Sygic hasn't subscribed.

Though MMI makes their data available in at least 4 different formats, there would be only 1 format for Sygic for Sygic's navigation front end.
Old 12th August 2013, 22:26   #3009
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh, that's very bad to know about Sygic. I'll stop blaming MMI at once. Thanks for putting me right.
Old 13th August 2013, 13:26   #3010
BANNED

Probably they have stopped paying MMI for the new maps. And they are fooling the users that they are yet to receive an update from MMI. That could be the reason why Sygic india map prices are drastically reduced. But what about those users (including myself) who paid hefty non-discounted amount. I guess Sygic doesn't care much.
Old 13th August 2013, 15:42   #3011
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
To clarify, the software will be older version if bought from play store instead of sygic.com. Map versions would be same.

Btw it's been long time, since we have receive india map update on sygic (they are 1 year old now). I have queried with Sygic support regarding new maps, but they have no info.
I remember the last update I got was in December 2012. Perhaps the update release date was earlier than that, but I updated in December.
Old 14th August 2013, 20:38   #3012
BHPian

Quote:

hello,

did you buy that sygic?
Old 14th August 2013, 20:43   #3013
BANNED

I have an older phone with the following specs
HVGA Screen
600 Mhz 7227 Qualcomm processor
Adreno 200 GPU
256 MB Ram
Android 2.2

Now, the Sygic 11 used to work just acceptably slow,but the new Sygic 13 is almost impossible to start with the GPS and HSDPA on, will try to downgrade now.
Old 22nd August 2013, 10:42   #3014
Team-BHP Support

Tom Tom now available as Android App for India. Who is the map source provider?

http://www.mobiletor.com/2013/08/21/...fline-support/
Old 22nd August 2013, 11:28   #3015
BHPian

I was on the lookout for a good offline navigation device, as the GPS in my Micromax Android does not work too well.

Initially, I thought a cheap Garmin 4.3" navigator (available for 7k on snapdeal) would be fine.

But then, I read up that Nokia's Navigation (on their Lumias) is a good option. The Lumia 510 is available for 6k, has a 4"screen and Nokia Drive Offline Navigation, which apparently is quite good.

A more expensive option would be the newer Lumia 520, which comes at 9k, over budget, but it is newer and comes with Nokia Here Navigation (don't think it is better than the earlier Nokia Drive though.

Would going for the Phone (510/520) make more sense than buying a dedicated GPS device, as I can always use the phone as a phone/entertainment option and carry it with me if I need to. I really don't want to spend 7k for a GPS unit which only does one thing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks