Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2013, 12:05   #3016
Team-BHP Support

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
Initially, I thought a cheap Garmin 4.3" navigator (available for 7k on snapdeal) would be fine.
I would still go with the above option. In my opinion MMI maps are the one of the best (if not the best) maps for highways. For cities, online google maps with Phone are a better option. (Again my personal opinion)
Old 23rd August 2013, 11:37   #3017
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
... But then, I read up that ...
Get the dedicated device and use it. In your quest for best bang for the buck, you will land up buying something that doesn't do any of the functions well.
Old 27th August 2013, 13:32   #3018
BHPian

Quote:
Initially, I thought a cheap Garmin 4.3" navigator (available for 7k on snapdeal) would be fine.

But then, I read up that Nokia's Navigation (on their Lumias) is a good option. The Lumia 510 is available for 6k, has a 4"screen and Nokia Drive Offline Navigation, which apparently is quite good.
I had been using the Nokia 710 for the past one year and I can vouch for the fact that the Nokia Drive maps are good.

Quote:
A more expensive option would be the newer Lumia 520, which comes at 9k, over budget, but it is newer and comes with Nokia Here Navigation (don't think it is better than the earlier Nokia Drive though.
Here Drive is the WP8 version of Nokia Drive (which was used in Windows Phone 7.x), re-named so that it can be used in Windows 8 Phones other than Lumias. However, database of both versions are updated regularly. I now use a 820 but have kept the 710 as a second phone.

Quote:
Would going for the Phone (510/520) make more sense than buying a dedicated GPS device, as I can always use the phone as a phone/entertainment option and carry it with me if I need to. I really don't want to spend 7k for a GPS unit which only does one thing.
The exact reason why I decided to go in for the Lumia instead of buying a dedicated navigation device, though no doubt the latter does have advantages in terms of much more details.

Regards
Old 27th August 2013, 15:34   #3019
BHPian

I just bought this:

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Jentro-Blueto...item1c35f62198

Now this pairs with your phone. I have a Huawei handset, with Sygic/Google maps. Let me experiment! The GPS module in the HUAWEI is not as good...but then it's a 4.2K Android phone! The Jentro has a Sirf chip-set, something designed by my ex-colleagues. I know it will be good
Old 28th August 2013, 00:05   #3020
Senior - BHPian

Hey lapis_lazuli, so can I use this with my ipad (model without the SIM) in areas without wifi, to feed GPS signals and be able to use Maps/other navigation Apps. Do elaborate, as also on your usage experience once you have experimented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
I just bought this:

Now this pairs with your phone. I have a Huawei handset, with Sygic/Google maps. Let me experiment! The GPS module in the HUAWEI is not as good...but then it's a 4.2K Android phone! The Jentro has a Sirf chip-set, something designed by my ex-colleagues. I know it will be good
Old 28th August 2013, 09:02   #3021
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Hey lapis_lazuli, so can I use this with my ipad (model without the SIM) in areas without wifi, to feed GPS signals and be able to use Maps/other navigation Apps. Do elaborate, as also on your usage experience once you have experimented.
Yes, khoj ji, in fact! Till I post my experience, this might be of help:

You need to have offline maps on the pad I guess, and of course, BT. There is some info floating around on the net too. The BT is over a serial port profile, and the "resident map" must be able to fish out data from the "virtual com port", is my preliminary understanding. It has arrived already, but I am on vacation, so you can expect a report on Monday.
Old 28th August 2013, 13:36   #3022
Senior - BHPian

Will a US import Garmin Nuvi 40LM be able to get Indian maps?
I do not know about the license and terms of usage part, but leaving that aside for a moment, is it wise to go for a pre-owned 40LM for about Rs. 5000?
How much do the maps costs in India? Can I pay online and install?
Is 40LM an outdated device now-a-days?
Old 28th August 2013, 13:47   #3023
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I do not know about the license and terms of usage part, but leaving that aside for a moment, is it wise to go for a pre-owned 40LM for about Rs. 5000?
It works. I have been using one for the last 5 years. You just need to buy maps in India. (MMI/Satguide/Garmin etc)
Old 28th August 2013, 15:11   #3024
Senior - BHPian

Thank you lapis_lazuli, will await your review, though have ordered one based on your comments on the quality & the informative video posted by you.

Quote:
It has arrived already, but I am on vacation, so you can expect a report on Monday.
Old 28th August 2013, 20:03   #3025
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You just need to buy maps in India. (MMI/Satguide/Garmin etc)
Or alternatively, get your free Garmin maps here:

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl

I used them on my Garmin and works pretty good with very good detail, although that could vary from region to region.

Jeroen
Old 29th August 2013, 09:25   #3026
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
You can pay and get them online. But at $100 a pop (no free upgrades, and four sets a year) it will be cheaper to buy a LM unit India. I dumped my Nüvi 265WT and bought a 2465LM for this very reason.
Old 29th August 2013, 13:15   #3027
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
It works. I have been using one for the last 5 years. You just need to buy maps in India. (MMI/Satguide/Garmin etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
You can pay and get them online. But at a pop (no free upgrades, and four sets a year) it will be cheaper to buy a LM unit India. I dumped my Nüvi 265WT and bought a 2465LM for this very reason.
Wow. That is quite expensive for just the maps. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Or alternatively, get your free Garmin maps here:

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl

I used them on my Garmin and works pretty good with very good detail, although that could vary from region to region.

Jeroen
Good alternative.
Old 2nd September 2013, 18:34   #3028
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you lapis_lazuli, will await your review, though have ordered one based on your comments on the quality & the informative video posted by you.
OK. Now this wont be too long: in a nutshell, it works exactly as described. I find it very sensitive. First fix time, too, was fairly short!

So, a little more details:

The system pairs easily with any Bluetooth host. Status shown would be "paired but not connected". Now, my Android 2.2 phone a Huawei U8185, was not able to do anything useful with this! So, I had to download an app, the Bluetooth GPS. It is very small, about 2Megs, and works like a charm. The Jentro device appears as a drop down on the home screen as you launch the app! Rest is cakewalk! You need to set the Mock GPS mode, and disable on board system GPS. When you launch Google maps, Sygic or openstreet maps, the "blue" dot/arrow appears accurately on the center of the screen, indicating your present fixed location, and that you are good to go! Of course, the Jentro must be in a place where it can see a few "birds" above!

The BT range is more than sufficient for practical use, and the battery is still running strong since the first charge.

It seems my friends at Sirf, have done a good job indeed ! Oh, btw, SiRF is CSR, now! Was SiRF, then....
Old 2nd September 2013, 19:27   #3029
Senior - BHPian

Hi lapis_lazuli, thanks again for the update. I was infact trying out the device before logging in here. It pairs and connects with my BB9860 but does not do much else. Guess I too will have to download the app that you mentioned.

The issue though is with the iPad, the pad just refuses to discover the unit. It discovers every other Tom, Dick and Harry within range but not this little chap. For the BB also the pad discovers it but then clearly says "device not supported" but with the activ pilot it is as if the thing does not exist. There is no manual either to refer to (spoken like a pucca bricks and mortar world guy that I am). Let me know if I am missing something.

The print of contents on the box cover almost had me reaching out to the CS and then I rechecked the content description on the eBay sale page. Sure enough just the unit, wall charger and the dashboard anchor. Dug around and located my old BB8730's car charger and the pin is the same, so car charging is sorted now only if I can get this thing to work with my devices.

Quote:
OK. Now this wont be too long: in a nutshell, it works exactly as described. I find it very sensitive. First fix time, too, was fairly short! .
Old 2nd September 2013, 19:49   #3030
BHPian

Quote:
Hi lapis_lazuli, thanks again for the update. I was infact trying out the device before logging in here. It pairs and connects with my BB9860 but does not do much else. Guess I too will have to download the app that you mentioned.

Hmmm. I am not very sure of this iPAD thingy. I never liked expensive fruits anyway, mangoes for me !

Just remembered, this Jentro, is a "BT-SPP", a rather primitive form, not always supported by many, as far as consumer grade is concerned. Finds significant use in industrial applications though. Moreover, the GPS sends out only a few tens of bytes periodically a high performing link is not required. So, I think, if you download :

1) Bluetooth SPP app. But, you may need little experimenting.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...toothSPP&hl=en

2) Next the BT GPS app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...id.btgps&hl=en

3) http://www.comenius-hikingandbiking....%203720_en.pdf

a document, maybe useful!

You should be good to go. Best of luck!

[NB: There's something wrong: my post count doesn't increase even as I write this..]

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 2nd September 2013 at 20:01. Reason: added doc link

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks