Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2013, 15:30   #3076
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
What if you are on a 25 day cross country trip with no laptop. Will it save 25 days of tracks?
Its more like a year or two. I still have tracks from 2012 on device.
Old 26th November 2013, 11:01   #3077
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Its more like a year or two. I still have tracks from 2012 on device.
Garmin periodically renames the current GPX file and creates a new GPX file. If storage is dangerously low, it deletes the oldest file.
Old 26th November 2013, 13:14   #3078
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
See if the software is non transparently deleting tracks, then its not a trackker. What if you are on a 25 day cross country trip with no laptop. Will it save 25 days of tracks?
I only have experience with the Garmin Etrex. Tracks are essentially a bread crump trail of coordinates and full is full. What happens then is that the first bread crump is deleted, and then the next. So when the track memory is full, the Etrex will still add the ongoing track, but it will take of the equal amount at the beginning of the track or the oldest track.

The amount of track you can store is more or less distance based. Although, I believe that a track with many curves will take up more storage then one with long straigths in it.

So in practical terms you need to save each track. Either on the Garmin or on your PC. Not sure what the limitations are on the Garmin.

So you need to distinguish what happens to the active track, even if it is spread over multiple days, and the tracks that you save.

Jeroen
Old 26th November 2013, 14:09   #3079
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Garmin periodically renames the current GPX file and creates a new GPX file. If storage is dangerously low, it deletes the oldest file.
+1. Even entry level Nuvi devices have an archive folder where it moves to the sampled points to a GPX file if the active size increased.. In many case, now folks are asking for improvements where the user has the capability to mention where the archive folder is. (Basically point to to an SD card mounted on the device). Though I dont know if that is available today.

Last edited by ampere : 26th November 2013 at 14:10.
Old 27th November 2013, 09:22   #3080
BANNED

How does one access the data in the gpx file? Sorry for being naive.
Old 27th November 2013, 10:15   #3081
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Open the GPX on Google earth or Garmin's own S/W (Mapsource/Basecamp).
But for Mapsource/Basecamp you should have the map installed on the PC/MAC.

Google Earth; its much easier. Open the GPX and it shows trail/track overlaid on Google maps.
Old 27th November 2013, 11:16   #3082
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Open the GPX on Google earth or Garmin's own S/W (Mapsource/Basecamp).
But for Mapsource/Basecamp you should have the map installed on the PC/MAC.

Google Earth; its much easier. Open the GPX and it shows trail/track overlaid on Google maps.
I've been looking into this, but I couldn't get it to work; how do I get my track (ie GPX) file overlaid on google earth, or just google maps?

I'm using Mapsource for most of my planning, but I'd like to see it on google earth, make screenshots so I can upload these to my website etc.

any pointers on how to do it would be appreciated.

Jeroen
Old 27th November 2013, 11:32   #3083
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I've been looking into this, but I couldn't get it to work; how do I get my track (ie GPX) file overlaid on google earth, or just google maps?
Its quite straight forward:

- If you have tracks on your Garmin device, connect to Mapsource and download on your PC/Mac
- Once in there export these tracks as GPS files on your PC
- Open Google Eaarth
- File-Open- GPX file through the Menu (Yes its as simple as that! )

Don't know where you are going wrong. But yes that is the set of steps.
Old 27th November 2013, 11:33   #3084
BANNED

I tried one under the guidance of ampere but somehow could not get mapsource / basecamp to work. Any fresh suggestions?
Old 27th November 2013, 11:43   #3085
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Its quite straight forward:

- If you have tracks on your Garmin device, connect to Mapsource and download on your PC/Mac
- Once in there export these tracks as GPS files on your PC
- Open Google Eaarth
- File-Open- GPX file through the Menu (Yes its as simple as that! )

Don't know where you are going wrong. But yes that is the set of steps.
Thanks, ill try again later this week. Just noticed, im not using mapsource, but basecamp. Ill check, if anything moving a file from the Etrex on the PC should be a problem and I guess can be done with any editor as well, without disturbing the content.

Jeroen
Old 27th November 2013, 12:28   #3086
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I tried one under the guidance of ampere but somehow could not get mapsource / basecamp to work. Any fresh suggestions?
@SG, what you tried is how to install MMI/Satguide maps on PC.
Here its just downloading files your device on Mapsource (whether any maps are installed or not).

And saving them GPX on your computer and finally importing them on to Google earth.
Old 27th November 2013, 13:00   #3087
BHPian

Did not see Garmin 50LM / 52LM in the supported Garmin devices for MapMyIndia maps.
Does anybody sure of compatibility of MMI maps on LM 50 / LM 52
Old 28th November 2013, 13:56   #3088
Team-BHP Support

MMI launches MMI-Connect.

http://www.telecomtiger.com/Technolo...2&section=S210

Still wondering how useful the feature can be...
Old 5th December 2013, 12:12   #3089
BHPian

Quote:
Try using MotionX GPS for iOS. Not available for Android. You can import and export tracks.
Old 5th December 2013, 12:39   #3090
BHPian

Not sure, what you meant by data in a GPX file?

You can download gpx file from a Garmin device to a PC using Mapsource.

Such downloaded GPS file can be converted to various file formats like CSV, KML, KMZ, GDB etc using various conversion software tools. I will suggest GPSBabel, which is more like a Swiss army knife.

Besides, Google earth can import gpx from GPS directly.

If you connect GPS as a mass storage option, you can access the GPX files saved on your Sd card using any file explorer. Certain Garmin models give you an option to save the track log to be saved on SD card with out wrapping instead of its internal memory

Quote:

Most Viewed