Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2015, 08:19   #3271
Team-BHP Support

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Is there a way that we can find the most popular route for a particular destination or word-of-mouth is the only way to find the best road to travel, yet?
We should never follow any map/device on its own. The high level route is something which you should guide the device. And the lower level details you can leave it to the device.
Old 9th January 2015, 14:01   #3272
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Better get a Garmin unit. MMI, which doesn't engineer it's hardware, will never be at par with Garmin. Quite a few here have had problems with battery swelling up and causing problems. I have been using a Garmin unit for the last 7 years - absolutely no issues.
Thank you very much for your detailed explanation. Is there any specific model you suggest. My budget is around 20k. If I go for Garmin, is there any model which comes with radio and dvd player etc. like some of the MMI units do. If so then I will stretch my budget.

Last edited by Technocrat : 9th January 2015 at 21:56. Reason: Please quote selectively as a long quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
Old 9th January 2015, 14:06   #3273
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

I plan to mount a GPS in my Honda City and am confused which one to buy.

I haven't approached any dealerships yet, but just wanted to get an overview about MapMyIndia, Tom Tom and others. My friend recently bought a MapMyIndia device for INR 6800.00, not sure of the model number. Probably it is the LX140ws.

Kindly recommend me a decent device for around the same budget with pre-loaded maps.

I will be doing a J&K roadtrip in the summers and would prefer something that can help me with rural roads and diversions.

Last edited by //M : 9th January 2015 at 14:10.
Old 9th January 2015, 14:48   #3274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
.. Duster MediaNav? I would like your opinion on its quality and dependability. Have you tried to update the map? Is it free or they charge for it?
I have tried to use it but got pretty frustrated...
Some opinion from actual users of the Duster MediaNav would help.
Thanks
Sudipto
Sudipto,
(Sorry for the late response, but saw this today only)

IMO Duster MediaNav is just "ok". By that - I would rate ranging between 5/10 ~ 7/10 on overall experience.
(Benchmark with google maps navigation with an excellent connection- rated at 7.5/10)

Regarding Update-
I have seen on Renault site that there are 2 updates:
1. regular free updates - can be done by service center OR by users also
2. premium updates - site states that - this includes more PointOfInterests + more "markers" or whetever. This one is paid. I have not done or asked for this yet.

I have 1 free update done by Renault service (during my 1 year service).
Free update - makes more addresses/roads available & visible while driving.
I haven't done it myself, but apparently it's as easy as downloading update files + plugging it to Navisystem USB drive & hitting update.

Use & "ease of use"-
Destination mapping/searching: (5/10)
The glitchy interface is all before the routing!
First of all - DO NOT even think of scrolling on the interface to point to a location where you want to go! it's too bad.
(this is where I used to get frustrated- a LOT)
Instead - type in a area/road name in Custom search & select as destination.
I have somehow developed jugaad# way of mapping my destinations like this.

Routing/re-routing : (6.5/10)
This is fairly fast - with decent options on screen.
(mostly choose "fast" option - over "shortest route")
I don't like the fact- that it re-routes without asking us whether we know what we are doing OR do we want to get back on the originally decided route.

Navigation (with voice) : (7/10)
Well, once the routing happens - the speed & voice navigation are pretty decent - only choppy fps occasionally.
You can have Brit/American accented (M/F) voice navigation+ other languages voice navigation too
Also activate Eateries/Fuel bunk symbols ON in maps - so you see them upcoming as 'icons'.
#(Let me know, I can share some screenshots if you would like to see the steps I use..)

Cheers,

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 9th January 2015 at 14:51.
Old 9th January 2015, 19:36   #3275
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
I plan to mount a GPS in my Honda City and am confused which one to buy.
I will suggest a 5" or more. Both MMI and Garmin are excellent. the former has somewhat better maps (upgrades are paid), the latter have a far better build quality and units with LM suffix have lifetime upgrades. I have a Garmin 2465LM in my Civic and use it in the City as well. Just check whether you need a friction mount (in the Civic the dash is very deep. This will be true for either brand.
Old 10th January 2015, 21:41   #3276
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot driverace for your input. I will check it out next time I am out of the city. In city traffic looking at the map is risky.
Old 12th January 2015, 15:30   #3277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
... Is there any specific model you suggest. My budget is around 20k. If I go for Garmin, is there any model which comes with radio and dvd player etc. like some of the MMI units do. If so then I will stretch my budget.
1. With Radio and DVD player, a navigation unit would cost upwards of 30K - they are called "2DIN Head Unit with Navigation". The MMI HUs have pathetically pedestrian sound quality. Garmin doesn't make these, as they concentrate on standalone nav units. Kenwood has DNX5350BT, which uses Garmin hardware and software for Navigation

2. If you want a standalone Garmin unit, you can get a 42LM (~9.3K) or 2460LM (~14K) - both have lifetime map update. Comparatively, MMI LX340 is 9K.
Old 13th January 2015, 14:12   #3278
BHPian

Quote:
1. they are called "2DIN Head Unit with Navigation".
Yes I know about that. And thanks for your suggestion. I'm not an audiophile but still looking for a good head unit that will serve navigation purpose and will produce good sound as well.
Old 13th January 2015, 15:10   #3279
BANNED

Remember that the Caska (appears it uses MMI MM unit) is prone to hanging on the GPS. My son is having this problem in his City AVN MkIII. Also, he had a problem getting the map updates, since the unit seems to have been left unregistered by Caska/Honda. The Kenwood may be a good choice. I guess Bosch is very similar.
Old 14th January 2015, 15:10   #3280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
Yes I know about that. And thanks for your suggestion. I'm not an audiophile but still looking for a good head unit that will serve navigation purpose and will produce good sound as well.
Buy a 2DIN Kenwood or Pioneer HU without navigation (10-12K) and a Garmin standalone (9K or less). Together they will cost you 20K. You will listen to sweet music without worrying about the nav unit causing you problems. Or face bad after sales service when you need it the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
... the unit seems to have been left unregistered by Caska/Honda. ...
Honda is not a party to that. It is the dealers who palm off such things under the guise of Honda. It is a dealer-fitted accessory, and not a Honda official part. And trust the dealers not to know what is to be done - they themselves wouldn't have ever used a navigation unit.
Old 14th January 2015, 18:01   #3281
BANNED

Quote:
Honda is not a party to that. It is the dealers who palm off such things under the guise of Honda. It is a dealer-fitted accessory, and not a Honda official part. And trust the dealers not to know what is to be done - they themselves wouldn't have ever used a navigation unit.
A factory supplied City AVN, came with the Caska Unit built in. It was ultimately Honda Customer Care and Pearl Honda Gurgaon with the support of MMI who sorted it out. The car was bought from Pearl Honda Kanpur who did not help!!
Old 14th January 2015, 18:10   #3282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
A factory supplied City AVN, came with the Caska Unit built in. It was ultimately Honda Customer Care and Pearl Honda Gurgaon with the support of MMI who sorted it out. The car was bought from Pearl Honda Kanpur who did not help!!
A-ha! From what I had understood from information given to the media by Caska is that they will supply via dealers, and not as OE fitment in Honda (that is a totally different ball game). Anyhow, aaall ij well that ends well!
Old 15th January 2015, 09:40   #3283
BANNED

Quote:
A-ha! From what I had understood from information given to the media by Caska is that they will supply via dealers, and not as OE fitment in Honda (that is a totally different ball game). Anyhow, aaall ij well that ends well!
I saw the car almost immediately after arrival. Also, Honda cannot be selling the AVN unless they have the stuff from somewhere. Now the SatNav is standard in Mk.IV, so I am sure Honda do not ship cars with no console. Yes, ultimately he did get his three year update package and MMI sent him the CD. So Caska have a version for public consumption, and reality differs somewhat.

Last edited by sgiitk : 15th January 2015 at 09:41.
Old 19th January 2015, 12:26   #3284
BANNED

Google seems to have launched lane guidance in 20 cities in India.

Quote:
Lane guidance will be available for major roads across 20 Indian cities: Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Bhopal, Chandigarh, Chennai, Coimbatore, Delhi, Hyderabad, Indore, Jaipur, Kolkata, Lucknow, Mumbai, Mysore, Nagpur, Pune, Surat, Thiruvananthapuram, Vadodara and Visakhapatnam and on major expressways including the Mumbai-Pune expressway.
Anybody used it yet? How's the experience?

http://www.huffingtonpost.in/2015/01...n_6491434.html
Old 19th January 2015, 14:41   #3285
BANNED

@ottocycle; NOIDA, Delhi and Gurgaon ie NCR is pretty good. I have used it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks