Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2015, 16:14   #3316
BANNED

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Guys
I am using nuvi 2568lm for the last 2 years.Garmin had mentioned about the lifetime free map upgrade for this model. But when I try to update it says the maps are up to date whereas I am using 2013 version of maps now. In their website they have mentioned about the newer version of maps..Please help me with the update
Dilip
Old 14th April 2015, 17:31   #3317
BANNED

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilipkumar7278 View Post
Guys
I am using nuvi 2568lm for the last 2 years.Garmin had mentioned about the lifetime free map upgrade for this model. But when I try to update it says the maps are up to date whereas I am using 2013 version of maps now.
2014.30 is the current India map. i have a 2465LM and have no problems. You communicator installed. Then go to the India site (garmin.co.in) or the taiwan site (garmin.com.tw) which is the actual repository. It is quite likely that you may need a uSD card (2-8GB). I find that firefox does not work as the driver is blocked, and have used the chrome browser happily. Another reader had to install an older version of Firefox in order to update. Please look back in this thread itself. Just saw tht 2015.10 City navigator (1001MB) has just been released.

Last edited by sgiitk : 14th April 2015 at 17:38.
Old 14th April 2015, 21:40   #3318
BANNED

Got the 2015.10 City Maps for Garmin downloaded and installed. The file is 1.001GB and as in between I ran out of the 2Mbps bandwidth it took time to complete the download

Some observations:

1. I managed with Chrome, no issues.
2. Now Garmin have moved the update to their major server at garmin.com in the /in directory. So no more struggling with their Taiwan site. You log in into garmin.co.in and then update. I do not think it looks as the .tw site at all.
3. The update interface is now in English rather than Mandarin.
4. Once you get the file you have to execute it in as Admin if you do not want Windows 8.1 to try and block it.
5. You must be logged in to the update page, since it goes and checks.

Update went smoothly, no hassles. This time the language settings etc have been preserved.

Last edited by sgiitk : 14th April 2015 at 21:41.
Old 14th April 2015, 21:56   #3319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Got the 2015.10 City Maps for Garmin downloaded and installed. The file is 1.001GB and as in between I ran out of the 2Mbps bandwidth it took time to complete the download
Would this work with my US bought garmin nuvi 1350?
Old 15th April 2015, 08:53   #3320
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
You will have to buy the map, then it should be fine. I went from my UD bought 265W to India specific 2465LM since the saving was well worth it. Three updates a year, for two years already.
Old 15th April 2015, 10:02   #3321
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
You will have to buy the map, then it should be fine. I went from my UD bought 265W to India specific 2465LM since the saving was well worth it. Three updates a year, for two years already.
Dont know about Garmin, I have typically seen that mainly for the highways in South India, I am still contended with 4 year MMI maps. I recently bought an updated MMI maps and found it was not that big an impact in my region of interest. All the roads I am looking for were marked even the earlier ones. Yes may some bypasses or some name changes here and there, but over all still happy with the old version.
Old 15th April 2015, 10:08   #3322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I have 2300 for past 4 years. For India, the best map for Garmin device is MMI, but they are paid. Next best is http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/. Garmin maps for India offer excellent set of POIs but very poor routing. I have used Garmin City Maps for India 2010 thru' 2014 and routing is crap. Just switching the map to OpenStreetMaps offer good routes.
Old 15th April 2015, 12:06   #3323
BANNED

I will check out on my map update. I have an acid test, as of now none of the navigators shows the Ganges Barrage as complete. This cuts out at least 45 minutes and 20km from the drive. It has been in use for over two years! Just see joybhowmiks posts on his recent sojourn to Lucknow..
Old 15th April 2015, 12:56   #3324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
...Here's the tablet attached
This is the view from eye position ...
Is that Sugru on the charger cable? Hmm ... innovative!
Old 15th April 2015, 14:38   #3325
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilipkumar7278 View Post
Guys
I am using nuvi 2568lm for the last 2 years.Garmin had mentioned about the lifetime free map upgrade for this model. But when I try to update it says the maps are up to date whereas I am using 2013 version of maps now. In their website they have mentioned about the newer version of maps..Please help me with the update
Make sue you have the latest Garmin communicator. I use Chrome 32-bit and works fine. Are you registered with garmin.co.in? If yes then you should see the update. Remember you have to be registered and the Garmin unit connected. It pulls back its info from the site.

If you were working with garmin.com they may not show the update, but maybe not now.

Please check and report back.
Old 15th April 2015, 14:41   #3326
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Is that Sugru on the charger cable?
Sharp eyes and a great knowledge of international products!

Yes, spot on: it is Sugru.

Actually, I "customised" the cable for my phone, and the bend is the wrong way for the tablet: it puts the tab buttons on the bottom.

Sugru is great stuff, but like all such things, the final result depends on the user's skill. This one works, but is scruffy. I made the bend by wiring the angle into the cable; the sugru covers the wire. Reinforced sugru!
Old 7th May 2015, 18:47   #3327
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't know if it is my head or Sygic, but it is driving me nuts.

For instance: "Cancel Route" used to be simple. Now it has vanished, or has become hidden. They should call it Sygic Destiny... You chose this route, you're stuck with it. Or Quit. Sygic Suicide!

The online manual is often useless, and often worse than useless, telling about stuff that has been changed already. It has become microsoftish, like "auto-zoom: turn auto-zoom on or off." Fine: by guesswork, I got to the fact that this was what I wanted, but why would a manual not tell me What is Auto-zoom in this contest? Where is the section that explains what all the symbols and elements on the screen are and what they do?

OK, so I used to recommend Sygic. And I paid for a lifetime world licence. Maybe they want my lifetime to be as short as possible?

OK... rant over, but can anyone tell me where I can find what used to be Options -> Route -> Cancel Route?

The weirdest thing is that I saw it. Once. On the black bar at the bottom of the screen...
Old 7th May 2015, 22:41   #3328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
OK... rant over, but can anyone tell me where I can find what used to be Options -> Route -> Cancel Route?
I see this Options -> Route -> Cancel Route.
Using Sygic: Voucher Edition version 14.7.0

When I say option I mean the three lined button at the bottom right, highlighted on the image below
The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-unnamed.jpg

The button "Option" on the black bar appears at the bottom when you have just searched for a location and Sygic is showing multiple route options for you to choose from. On clicking that also you get the Cancel Route option.

PS: In fact, I had still not figured how to cancel a route till now. Learned something new thanks to your post.

Last edited by Jaguar : 7th May 2015 at 22:43.
Old 7th May 2015, 23:15   #3329
Distinguished - BHPian

This is very weird!

Mine doesn't look like yours. What version is yours? Mine is, I think, 15.1 and I think they have changed a heap of stuff.

I haven't been out in the car all day, just sitting here planning routes (In fact it began with thinking about places to go in UK in July!) and then running the "demo" feature. I'm doing the same now, and, if I touch the road name near the bottom of the map, I get a black strip where one option is Cancel Route. Honest, It wasn't there before --- except just the once.

In fact, it began with Sygic telling me it had no maps, that I wasn't a customer anyway, and my subscription had expired. It got over that, and I downloaded the maps for India, UK and Singapore.

I think it might have a touch of upgrade fever. Hopefully it is settling down now, and so am I.

I thought the phone might be a version behind the tablet, but, woe is me, it won't run on the phone at all now. As that is a custom rom, I can't expect they will support it, but I might try to find out how to lock the version.

Many thanks for helping with this!
Old 7th May 2015, 23:56   #3330
Senior - BHPian

I am on 14.7.0
And that is not a screenshot from my phone. Just googled a pic for reference.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks