Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2015, 12:58   #3391
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Can someone help me with waypoints in MapMyIndia? If I want to go from A to C, and the default route is A - B - C, but I want instead to go A - J - K - C? Thanks.
Old 25th June 2015, 14:02   #3392
J.Ravi

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
If I want to go from A to C, and the default route is A - B - C, but I want instead to go A - J - K - C? Thanks.
If you know the places, touch J on the route map. A menu will pop-up. Select Trip Planning>Add a via point; similarly, touch K and add it as a via point. Then, go to Route>Via Points and check whether they are in order. You can re-arrange the via points as per your wish. If you don't know the places, select them from point of interest or latitude/longitude or 'find location' options and include them as via points. Finally, save the route.

Old 25th June 2015, 14:21   #3393
BHPian

Thanks, Ravi Sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
If you know the places, touch J on the route map. A menu will pop-up. Select Trip Planning>Add a via point; similarly, touch K and add it as a via point. Then, go to Route>Via Points and check whether they are in order. You can re-arrange the via points as per your wish.
Using touch is what is mentioned in the manual, but I have found it extremely difficult to use, given the need to zoom in and out. Any tricks you have to make this easy? Do you go to the Route button on the bottom left and then touch the via places on the map?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
If you don't know the places, select them from point of interest or latitude/longitude or 'find location' options and include them as via points. Finally, save the route.
Do I do this from the Menu button in the lower right corner?
Old 25th June 2015, 14:42   #3394
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Any tricks you have to make this easy?
Alternatively, find out the co-ordinates, latitude/longitude from Google Maps and insert them on the 'Find location with latitude/longitude' option in the menu. Then, if you touch that place, you will get the pop-up menu to select Trip Planning>Add a via point.

Quote:
Do I do this from the Menu button in the lower right corner?
First, you select the destination using the Menu>Find Location/PoI/Latitude-longitude options. Then, touch that place to get 'Navigate to' option. If you select it, it will show the default route from your present position to that destination. You can select/avoid certain conditions in the 'Route settings' on the LHS of the screen. For example, you opt for the 'Shortest' or 'Fastest' or 'Optimum'. Similarly, you can avoid toll roads/ferry crossings. If your origin is different from your present positon, then select that place as described above, touch that place to get the pop-up menu to select Trip Planning>Set as start. Then, go to 'Route' on the LHS and check the via points list. It will contain the origin, the via points and the destination. You can re-arrange them as you like.

Old 25th June 2015, 14:45   #3395
BHPian

Thanks so much, Ravi Sir!
Old 30th June 2015, 18:33   #3396
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I did manage to download and install the system software. It seems it again goes to the .tw server to /locale=in? and now is not finding any new map!! Maybe in a day or two. All this under chrome!
Still it is sending to the tw site, which has no maps. Garmin India up to old habits!
Old 30th June 2015, 20:23   #3397
J.Ravi

Nowadays, I am using the free trial version of Navi Maps of MapMyIndia [MMI] on my smartphone for intra-city riding on my Thunderbird 500. I find the smartphone version of the maps very user-friendly as I could hear the voice-guidance very clearly, even on the busy Mylapore roads with helmets on. Earlier, I could not hear the voice-guidance clearly from my MMI Lx130 navigator. Navi Maps voice guides me like 'Take the first right' or 'Take the second left' unlike my MMI Lx130, which will say 'Turn right after 100 m' or 'Take the second exit' as the case may be. I may eventually buy the Pro Guidance maps costing ₹ 599.99.

The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-screenshot_20150630201254.png

Old 30th June 2015, 21:43   #3398
BHPian

http://indianexpress.com/article/tec...indian-cities/

Quote:
Google Maps with real-time traffic information is now available in 12 more cities in India- Kolkata, Coimbatore, Lucknow, Surat, Thiruvananthapuram, Indore, Ludhiana, Visakhapatnam, Nagpur, Kochi, Madurai and Bhopal. This traffic feature, available on both mobile and desktop versions of Google Maps is now available in 34 cities in total
I guess not many people would be using google navigation for directions in small cities like Madurai, Coimbatore, etc. (Google gets the live traffic info from the data collected from mobile phones running google maps navigation). So I wonder how google gets live traffic in small cities.
Old 4th July 2015, 14:41   #3399

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Still it is sending to the tw site, which has no maps. Garmin India up to old habits!
I was able to get the maps from the tw site. I had to use 2 different systems (Mac and Windows) today to do the update. I had the 2014.20 version before the update.

Mac system: I first logged on to the myGarmin site using Safari browser and then on another tab opened the Garmin India site. I then went to the Maps & Extras section and selected Map Update. It took me to the page with the list of all updates and I selected the 2015.20 version. On clicking that, it took me to the TW site.

In what seemed like an eternity, it prompted me that I don't have Garmin Communicator plug-in, which I downloaded and installed. After that, it checked my device and displayed another link from where I can download the map update. An update code was also displayed which I noted but never ended up using at any stage nor was I prompted to. The file was 1.1 GB in size and I started the download.

When it completed, it turned out to be an exe file - which I couldn't use on a Mac (perhaps it could be and I don't know how!)! So here's the part where I had to switch over to the Windows PC! I also managed to download the software update for the Nuvi device from the Garmin India site as well. This too was an exe file.

Windows PC: I copied over the files (map and software update) to the Windows PC, connected the device (whilst ensuring that all other USB devices were disconnected) and clicked on the exe file. I ensured the selected mode was the USB Mass Storage mode rather than the Garmin mode. After that the update was pretty simple and took about 15 minutes for the files to be copied over. Once done, I disconnected the device from the PC and turned it on again to check the map version and software version. It showed 2015.20 and 2.90 respectively. Whew!! But it was nerve wracking!

I fail to understand is - what is the use of the Garmin Express software. It basically sat there and did nothing! I manually downloaded and applied the update so Garmin Express was a waste of time as I expected it to do all this!

Another thing that didn't make sense to me - the text related to the updates for 2015.20 and 2015.10 on the Garmin India site is the same. Not sure what has changed between these two versions.
Old 5th July 2015, 07:02   #3400
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manduks View Post
1. I fail to understand is - what is the use of the Garmin Express software. It basically sat there and did nothing! I manually downloaded and applied the update so Garmin Express was a waste of time as I expected it to do all this!

2. Another thing that didn't make sense to me - the text related to the updates for 2015.20 and 2015.10 on the Garmin India site is the same. Not sure what has changed between these two versions.
1. This is from the US (main site). For us it is a total waste of time.
2. Explains why my 2015.10 will not update to 2015.20. I think Garmin have committed a certain minimum number of updates per years, so this is just that no more, ie a counting exercise.
Old 9th July 2015, 18:28   #3401
Senior - BHPian

Gurus,
I am vacationing in Langkawi this month from 18th. I'd like to have a route map for guidance, as I'll be renting a car for a few days. I have the following options:
  1. Download a Malaysia map on my Nokia Lumia phone and use Here Maps for navigation. I believe Here Maps are one among the best.
  2. Download a map for Malaysia on my Garmin Nuvi's SD card from OpenStreet and use it there.
  3. Download offline map from google maps on my iPad (that has no sim card) and use it in offline mode.
Which do you think would be the best? I feel option 1 is the best with option 3 as a backup. Option 2 involves carrying my Garmin along.

I have another question. Will my non-sim card iPad work without data connection for using offline maps?
Old 9th July 2015, 21:00   #3402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
  1. Download a Malaysia map on my Nokia Lumia phone and use Here Maps for navigation. I believe Here Maps are one among the best.
  2. Download a map for Malaysia on my Garmin Nuvi's SD card from OpenStreet and use it there.
  3. Download offline map from google maps on my iPad (that has no sim card) and use it in offline mode.
Which do you think would be the best? I feel option 1 is the best with option 3 as a backup. Option 2 involves carrying my Garmin along.
I have another question. Will my non-sim card iPad work without data connection for using offline maps?
Directions wont work without internet connection in Google Maps even if you have downloaded the map data. HERE maps seems to be a better option than the openstreet maps.
Old 10th July 2015, 14:52   #3403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landkruzer View Post
Directions wont work without internet connection in Google Maps even if you have downloaded the map data. HERE maps seems to be a better option than the openstreet maps.
Thanks. I've already downloaded the Malaysia map onto my phone from Here Maps. Let's hope it works well.

I heard that iPad has AGPS which works without cellular or wi fi connection. I'll try here locally first and revert.
Old 10th July 2015, 16:35   #3404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I heard that iPad has AGPS which works without cellular or wi fi connection. I'll try here locally first and revert.
Offline maps will work fine on your iPad. No issue with that. In offline maps, the direction is computed by the device itself. (your phone or ipad). Where as in google maps, the directions are computed by the server, and hence it needs the internet connection.
Old 10th July 2015, 17:56   #3405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landkruzer View Post
Offline maps will work fine on your iPad. No issue with that. In offline maps, the direction is computed by the device itself. (your phone or ipad). Where as in google maps, the directions are computed by the server, and hence it needs the internet connection.
Thanks, that's exactly what someone told me. Is there any source other than Google maps that works in offline mode?

Most Viewed