Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2015, 22:44   #3421
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
I did not find a "Location" setting but my GPS is turned on and the maps can locate my current location properly. It can search for Mysore right, but when I try a route to mysore it fails with this message :
This help is from official HERE maps support for Android :

Quote:
Why are some addresses and places that I search for not found when I search offline ?

One of the best things about HERE apps is that they’re designed to work offline. Some things work differently, though, depending on whether or not you have an internet connection. Searching is one of them. If you’re searching offline, you’ll generally find places that are closer to you and only ones on the maps you’ve saved on your phone. When you’re connected to the Internet, your search results can be much broader. So if you’re not finding what you’re looking for offline, you could switch the app online in the main menu and try searching again.

Apart from this, make your storage set to SD Card and make sure that you downloaded the full map of Karnataka.

Old 13th August 2015, 08:58   #3422
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

I received huge 150 Mb HERE maps data update for complete India today on my Iphone.
Total size of India maps of HERE on my iphone is shown as 1700.1 Mb.

Looks like a bright future already for HERE maps with this pace of improvements.

Last edited by Nicky : 13th August 2015 at 08:59.
Old 13th August 2015, 09:29   #3423
J.Ravi

The main problem I experienced with Here maps on my Android smartphone was that I should stick to the default route shown by Here. I could not change the route by introducing via points. Then, I tried the free trial version of Navi Maps of MapMyIndia, and later, got updated to the paid version called Pro Guidance costing ₹ 599.99. A few days back, I updated to the latest maps [April 2015] by paying ₹ 299. The only niggle that I experienced with Navi Maps is, during incoming calls, the maps disappear and the called ID is displayed. Apart from that, I am satisfied with Navi Maps.

Old 13th August 2015, 10:13   #3424
BHPian

@J.Ravi,
Yes, i agree with 'via points' limitation on HERE maps.
I also have Navi maps purchased app. I always try and compare routes on both the apps and decide which one is better.
Old 13th August 2015, 10:46   #3425
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
I always try and compare routes on both the apps and decide which one is better.
I too compare the routes using MapMyIndia, Google and Here online maps on my laptop. In fact, Here allows re-routing by inserting via points or drag-and-drop method on the desktop version and not on the smartphone app! So, I removed Here from my smartphone.

Old 13th August 2015, 11:39   #3426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
I always try and compare routes on both the apps and decide which one is better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I too compare the routes using MapMyIndia, Google and Here online maps on my laptop. ...
Possibly Here wants us to pay for those additional features, hence the limitations.
Nevertheless to avoid via point issue, I usually decide the higher level route prior to the trip and then use them as short distance destinations,
because with a long trip (say 500km+) you are never sure where these devices land you up.
So it works best to broadly be aware of route being taken and their condition through other sources.
Old 13th August 2015, 13:04   #3427
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
Possibly Here wants us to pay for those additional features, hence the limitations.
There is no Here paid-app available in Google play. Only free version is available.

Old 13th August 2015, 13:17   #3428
BHPian

I always use Google maps and navigation (using 3G ) on my mobile while driving around. I am very happy about its usage and guidance on real time basis, esp traffic condition.

Today I have downloaded the HERE maps apps for Android on my handset , it was a huge total 200 MB download.

Now after giving driving direction, and clicking on ' Start Navigation' , its simple saying ' Navigation cannot be started' . No other error/ message / next what to do. I am perplexed on how to use it further.

Pls suggest , else I am thinking of uninstalling it and freeing up 200 MB of my phone memory .
Old 13th August 2015, 14:09   #3429
BHPian

Quote:
There is no Here paid-app available in Google play. Only free version is available.
Yeah .. I meant thats probably in the pipeline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing View Post
I always use Google maps and navigation (using 3G ) on my mobile while driving around. ...
I too feel Google maps are best ... the changes and improvements on them happen thick and fast.
Only problem with them is they don't work offline, you can't be sure of 2G/3G availability all over,
but for city driving & navigation that should not be a problem either.
Old 16th August 2015, 19:51   #3430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The only niggle that I experienced with Navi Maps is, during incoming calls, the maps disappear and the called ID is displayed. Apart from that, I am satisfied with Navi Maps.
How long have you tried using Navi Maps on your smartphone/note continuously ? With google maps, my phone overheats and discharges - even with the charger plugged in the 12V socket - in 30 mins , and I just cannot use it continuously. I was wondering if Navi Maps was any better.

Dedicated navigation devices fare better than smartphones for continuous use I guess.

Also, is the map tied to the device after making the 599/- payment ? Can I remove it and put it on another device, or reinstall if I do a factory reset ?

Last edited by sdp1975 : 16th August 2015 at 19:58.
Old 17th August 2015, 08:29   #3431
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
How long have you tried using Navi Maps on your smartphone/note continuously ?
I drove Chennai>Pondy>Chennai, Chennai>Pondy>Bangalore and Bangalore>Mysore>Bangalore. The first two were ~600 km and the last one, ~280 km trip.

Quote:
With google maps, my phone overheats and discharges - even with the charger plugged in the 12V socket - in 30 mins , and I just cannot use it continuously. I was wondering if Navi Maps was any better.
Even my Lenovo K3 Note overheats but works; since it is kept near the AC vent, I don't bother. The main difference between Google Maps and Navi Maps is, while the former is online navigator for which Internet/GPRS is required, the latter is offline for which just GPS is required to be switched on without Internet/GPRS. Perhaps, that might be the reason for faster discharge of the former vis-a-vis the latter.

Quote:
Dedicated navigation devices fare better than smartphones for continuous use I guess.
Agreed. But, see my predicament. My XUV 500's OE dash navigator's maps are of old version 8.0. My efforts for updating the maps through the dealer/Mahindra customer care were exercises in futility. With the launch of New Age XUV 500 with a new navigator with a new software, I have lost all my hopes. I have my stand-alone MapMyIndia Lx130 3.5" navigator that has the version 9.1 maps, which is 6-year old, but now discontinued by MapMyIndia, which means no more map updates. So, I bought this Navi Maps on my smartphone costing ₹ 599.99 for Pro Guidance version and another ₹ 299 for the updated maps of India [April 2015]. For the long trips, I plan the routes in advance, using maps online on my laptop, transfer the routes and save them on my XUV 500's dash navigator. I use Google Maps, MapMyIndia and Here on my laptop and select the best route with stop-overs. I get the co-ordinates of the hotels from Google Maps and transfer them to my XUV 500's dash navigator's outdated maps.

The smartphone Navi Maps app is an alternative, which will be used mainly for my rides on Thunderbird 500 as the stand-alone navigator is too small 3.5" compared to the smartphone's display of 5.5".

Quote:
is the map tied to the device after making the 599/- payment ?
You can use the free trial version for a week after downloading the maps to your smartphone. Then, you have to buy the Pro Guidance version costing ₹ 599.99 and another ₹ 299 for the new maps of April 2015.

Quote:
Can I remove it and put it on another device, or reinstall if I do a factory reset ?
It is device-specific. I think it checks the IMEI number. If it is the same, you can uninstall it and reinstall it any number of times. The selfie camera in my smartphone stopped working after a few days. So, I resorted to the factory-reset. So, my paid Navi Maps were gone. Later, I got it rectified at the Lenovo service centre. Then, I reinstalled the Navi Maps app and downloaded all the maps again without any issues.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 17th August 2015 at 08:44.

Old 17th August 2015, 15:13   #3432
BANNED

I am a bit scared of Google maps. About six years ago it wanted me to take the KMP Expressway to get from NH2 to NH8. We all know KMP is still not done!
Old 13th September 2015, 23:36   #3433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I am a bit scared of Google maps...
Google Maps are getting increasingly reliable, at least for city usage they work very well.

The advantage I see with them the ever growing list of POIs/landmarks that you get there,
which is a very periodic procedure with say Here maps or other GPS devices per se.
Old 22nd September 2015, 15:16   #3434
BHPian

Gadget freaks, Looking for your suggestions to buy a phone with offline GPS facility capability, Budget ~20k.

Thanks in Advance,
Rajesh
Old 22nd September 2015, 15:45   #3435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
... a phone with offline GPS facility capability, Budget ~20k.
Rajesh, in this budget you can get a very good GPS device (e.g., Garmin's).
However if you are particular about using a phone, then look for one with higher battery power.
You may use offline HERE maps with it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks