Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2015, 16:17   #3436
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Gadget freaks, Looking for your suggestions to buy a phone with offline GPS facility capability, Budget ~20k.
The offline maps need about ~2GB storage space. So go for a phone with good internal storage (atleast 16 GB) and 2GB of RAM. My suggestion would be Zenfone 2 or Mi 4. Both come with the Full HD, gorilla glass protection and priced around 15K.

You can get either HERE maps or map my india offline maps for your phone. HERE maps is totally free, but you have to pay a small fee for mapmyindia maps. (around Rs 700).
Old 22nd September 2015, 18:44   #3437
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
Rajesh, in this budget you can get a very good GPS device (e.g., Garmin's).
However if you are particular about using a phone, then look for one with higher battery power.
You may use offline HERE maps with it.
Hey Deep, I dont like to have too many devices, hence looking for all-in one kinda phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landkruzer View Post
The offline maps need about ~2GB storage space. So go for a phone with good internal storage (atleast 16 GB) and 2GB of RAM. My suggestion would be Zenfone 2 or Mi 4. Both come with the Full HD, gorilla glass protection and priced around 15K.

You can get either HERE maps or map my india offline maps for your phone. HERE maps is totally free, but you have to pay a small fee for mapmyindia maps. (around Rs 700).
Thank You LK, these phones work even without data connection, right ?
Old 23rd September 2015, 09:57   #3438
BHPian

Quote:
these phones work even without data connection, right ?
It doesn't matter whether the phone has data connection or not. If you have the map downloaded and the map software supports offline navigation, then you are good to go even without data.

Navimaps by MMI is free if you only want to use the map. For turn by turn navigation, 3D maps etc you need to subscribe for appx Rs 649.
Old 23rd September 2015, 11:31   #3439
BHPian

Guys,

Any offline maps with voice navigation recommended for US visit planned shortly. Will use MI3 for the same.

THanks a ton
Old 23rd September 2015, 13:11   #3440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Guys,

Any offline maps with voice navigation recommended for US visit planned shortly. Will use MI3 for the same.

THanks a ton
go with HERE maps. you can download the complete US maps data for offline use.
Old 29th September 2015, 16:42   #3441
BHPian

Quote:
Gadget freaks, Looking for your suggestions to buy a phone with offline GPS facility capability, Budget ~20k.

Thanks in Advance,
Rajesh
Look at One Plus One . It has a good battery life with a decent screen size. It might overshoot your budget by 1k though.
Old 2nd October 2015, 09:53   #3442
BHPian

Finally bought yesterday Garmin nuvi65LM from distributor Amato in Delhi.

Earlier i did install and try iOS version of both MMI(Navi Maps) and HERE maps trials for few days. Syngic software was not downloadable. Google maps on iPhone proved very inaccurate even in Delhi.

Initial impressions : Time spent in searching how to register the device (in storage mode or Garmin mode, express or communicator etc.)

Touch screen 'touch' of nuvi65 is really archaic when one is used to iPhone.

Almost impossible to acquire satellites indoors (even next to a window) with clear sky.

Nothing to install on dash. (pl. share the best options to install on dashboard/ centre armrest storage bin top).
Attached Thumbnails
The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-innova.jpg  

Last edited by DwarkaDelhiWala : 2nd October 2015 at 10:15.
Old 2nd October 2015, 10:21   #3443
BANNED

I use a friction mount to hold my 2465 on the dashtop. Works quite well. I also have a case for it. I got both from the US since I bought my first unit from there as Garmin was not officially available in India, I think it was a 265WL. Once the LM came about I bought the 2645LM and have had it for over three years.
Old 2nd October 2015, 15:55   #3444
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwarkaDelhiWala View Post
... ... ... pl. share the best options to install on dashboard/ centre armrest storage bin top.
It is important not to mount devices where looking at them requires taking your eyes completely off the road. It is just too dangerous.
Old 2nd October 2015, 23:17   #3445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It is important not to mount devices where looking at them requires taking your eyes completely off the road. It is just too dangerous.
Yes, but its for chauffeur driven vehicle with GPS facing the 1st row, especially for Himachal and Uttrakhand trips.
Old 3rd October 2015, 00:24   #3446
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh, I see... not for the driver at all.
Old 3rd October 2015, 20:04   #3447
BHPian

I bought this new friction mount from Garmin dealer for Rs.1400/-
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-112.../dp/B0035JL4V2

works fine on dash as well as on armrest storage bin top.
Attached Thumbnails
The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-61b42dodahl._sl1500_.jpg  

Old 11th October 2015, 07:40   #3448
BHPian

I'm glad i bought Garmin instead of MMI.
Reason is BaseCamp.

I don't think MMI has anything like that. An absolute delight with detail levels, route planning, retrieving the unplanned routes travelled, track modification and storage, combing trekking/walking with driving routes....
Old 11th October 2015, 07:57   #3449
Distinguished - BHPian

Over the years I have used many GPS devices but in last two three years I am veering towards use of tablets / smart phones with apps like OSM / Orux with India bar map loaded. Cheaper, equally accurate and double up as phone. In car navigation or follow track both can be done. So what does GPS offer to deserve spending so much (extra) money?

Even for rallying people have used these with overlay tracks very easily.
Old 11th October 2015, 08:25   #3450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Deep, I dont like to have too many devices, hence looking for all-in one kinda phone.

Thank You LK, these phones work even without data connection, right ?
You could also look at the Lumia range. Nokia produces some of the best radio chips and gps lock on a Nokia phone should be faster than any oyhers. Also the HERE maps are provided by default. You may have to download the maps for a specific region once.

So you get offline maps as well as turn by turn navigation together.

Whichever phone you choose, please make sure it has a damn good GPS receiver. My Sony Experia M2 sucks in this. It takes ages to lock onto a satellite which my Samsung Note 10.1 does in seconds.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks