Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2016, 15:03   #3541

I installed it and both the laptop and I stared at each other. I later learned that it is for earlier versions and won't apply to LM 55 that I had. Plus, another reason why we need the Win system is that this update is heavy on space. I had to delete language files and zomato add on to make space.
Old 17th August 2016, 16:27   #3542
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I saw an App in Apple Store - GarminWebupdater and have downloaded it. Does that have no role to play? Why I am worried a bit is that I lost my hard disc in the Win10 system around Christmas so am stuck with a what one may say, Garminless system. I do remember when I did the last update I had issues with Garmin login, tried to change the password, but then ended up using my old password. So I am not even aware of my login details, apart from the id there. remember there are three places to be addressed, Garmin.co.in, garmin.com, and garmin.com.tw!
I set up a fresh garmin id, and am now downloading the .exe file, all 1.31GB of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manduks View Post
I installed it and both the laptop and I stared at each other. I later learned that it is for earlier versions and won't apply to LM 55 that I had. Plus, another reason why we need the Win system is that this update is heavy on space. I had to delete language files and zomato add on to make space.
I do not have a RAM/storage issue since my MacPro is 256GB. The issue is that a .exe file has to be executed and moved to the Garmin device. I am downloading the file on my Mac and will then copy it across to the Windoze unit to install to my 2456LM. In fact one of these days, I may even thing of replacing the 2465 since I have about 8 lines of failed pixels, which are annoying!

I have been unable to figure out any role for the GarminWebuddater on the Mac. I have it since I have downloaded it!!

Last edited by sgiitk : 17th August 2016 at 16:28.
Old 17th August 2016, 16:38   #3543

Sorry I should have been more specific. It's the available space on the device. I couldn't copy the file onto my device as space was an issue so had to remove other installed files.

The Web updater didn't work for me so I had to resort to the Win + Mac route. Since I have a desktop with Windows on it, extracting and copying exe was a minor inconvenience.
Old 18th August 2016, 11:08   #3544
BANNED

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

@manduks; I managed the upgrade happily using the Mac plus Win route. This was probably the smoothest update to date. Using Safari, none of the NPAPI stuff! Also, after setting up the update download, it asks for the login and password. Garmin Express manages the stuff about moving across the passwords.

I moved across the update files (1.3GB) and then unlock code (saved as a doc file) to my Win10 unit. As usual I opened the unlock code and then ran the update. Went through very smoothly. Earlier after a crashed download I tried using IE on Win 10. Again noise about 32-bit and 64-bit etc. I was forced to feed in the unlock code manually.

When installing the update I got the normal noise about removing the uSD card, even though my 2465LM installs the map on the uSD card only!! Garmin will never learn!

So if you have both Mac and Windows then download using Safari on the Mac and then upgrade using the Windows system. One mystery still remains - What is the purpose of the Garmin WebUdpater on the Mac. Logically it should do the installation on the Garmin.
Old 18th August 2016, 15:50   #3545
BHPian

Quote:
@manduks; I managed the upgrade happily using the Mac plus Win route. This was probably the smoothest update to date. Using Safari, none of the NPAPI stuff! Also, after setting up the update download, it asks for the login and password. Garmin Express manages the stuff about moving across the passwords.

I moved across the update files (1.3GB) and then unlock code (saved as a doc file) to my Win10 unit. As usual I opened the unlock code and then ran the update. Went through very smoothly. Earlier after a crashed download I tried using IE on Win 10. Again noise about 32-bit and 64-bit etc. I was forced to feed in the unlock code manually.

When installing the update I got the normal noise about removing the uSD card, even though my 2465LM installs the map on the uSD card only!! Garmin will never learn!

So if you have both Mac and Windows then download using Safari on the Mac and then upgrade using the Windows system. One mystery still remains - What is the purpose of the Garmin WebUdpater on the Mac. Logically it should do the installation on the Garmin.
I'm facing the same issue with my new Nuvi 2568LM, trying to update the maps.
Tried on two different windows systems, it goes till the map update page on the Garmin Taiwan website, and does not detect the plugin.
Redirects you to a US site which tells you that you infact have a working plugin.
Finally tried the download from a Mac, and was able to download two files, one a 1.3 Gb exe and another a 315 kb launcher.exe file.
Tried running the launcher which again identifies that two files need to be downloaded.
Name:  Garmin 1.PNG
Views: 980
Size:  13.1 KB
Downloads the first file, and the second one times out.

Finally gave up trying and tried to extract the second file 3687336.exe. It starts the extract process, but does not show the location where the files get extracted to.
After the extraction is over, shows the following screen
Name:  Garmin 2.PNG
Views: 733
Size:  34.6 KB
Click next, and the screen disappears. Think the installer is exiting.

Can someone help me here?
Old 18th August 2016, 16:01   #3546
BANNED

@cooljai; If you have the main file (3709092.exe) and also the unlock code than this is the point to move to a Windows system. Copy these two across, then open the unlock code file. You will not need it, but having it open seems to help. Finally connect the Garmin device (you should see two folders, the main memory and the uSD card). Run the .exe file (it includes the extractor and copier), and with any luck the rest should be smooth. Just remember the download into the Garmin device is SLOW, may take about five minutes.

Please try and report back. Garmin installers are and have been a pain!
Old 18th August 2016, 16:32   #3547
BHPian

@sgiitk, when I login, I can only see the following for the unlock code
Name:  Garmin 3.PNG
Views: 741
Size:  12.3 KB
I can just copy the text part, and nothing more, the download button on top will download either the exe file or the launcher file.
Thanks Again!
Old 18th August 2016, 18:38   #3548

Quote:
@manduks; I managed the upgrade happily using the Mac plus Win route. This was probably the smoothest update to date. Using Safari, none of the NPAPI stuff!
That's awesome!! Hopefully the procedure remains same in next upgrade!
Old 18th August 2016, 22:03   #3549
BHPian

@manduks @sgiitk Think the procedure has already changed.
After practically spending a whole day trying different things to get the update work, finally succeeded.
Here is what was done
1) Used a Mac to login to the map update website and download the files, copy the files to a windows system.
2) Of the two files, one was the actual maps which was around 1.3 Gb and the other an updater file.
3) The Garmin Updater file is useless, once launched, shows two files to be updated, the first file downloads but the second one times out.
The second file is actually some 2015 version, and probably that was replaced on the website by a later version and the client was not updated!
4) There are unlock codes displayed on the Garmin website, but didn't have to use them.
5) Double click on the 1.3Gb file, and the files like gmaprom.img get extracted, and the Garmin Map installer program starts.
6) This software checks the local USB ports and lists down all detected devices.

Name:  Garmin.PNG
Views: 719
Size:  39.7 KB

7) Choose the Garmin device from the dropdown, click next and the copy process starts.
8) It took around 40 minutes to copy all the files to the Device.
9) Once the copy process completes, disconnect, restart and verify the map version!

Last edited by cooljai : 18th August 2016 at 22:05.
Old 19th August 2016, 10:35   #3550
BANNED

@cooljai; The unlock code is the CP8K.... bit. I just copy and paste into the .txt or .doc file. Once I updated my 2465 and then tried using the same file on my son's 2465. It was shouting for the unlock code, and once I had it displayed the upgrade went smoothly.

You may have noticed that in addition to the .img file the system copies two small files into the same folder.

As for Garmin messing around, this has been my bane. However, things are much better when the updater talked to you in Mandarin! At least we know the route, Garmin India, to Garmin Taiwan and then off you go. I rember last time round somebody on TBHP was so exasperated that he asked by for the exe file name and went on from there. Remember, even today downloading a 1.31GB file is no trivial task.
Old 19th August 2016, 12:37   #3551

I think then the best option is to buy Map my India maps? It's frustrating with Garmin not concerned about this aspect. I understand from other threads that whilst the maps are better on MMI the device is not upto the mark.
Old 19th August 2016, 19:08   #3552
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manduks View Post
I think then the best option is to buy Map my India maps? It's frustrating with Garmin not concerned about this aspect. I understand from other threads that whilst the maps are better on MMI the device is not upto the mark.
MMI maps are better but cost an arm and a leg, so if you have an LM unit there is no getting away. I think I gout my 2465 in 2011 or 2012, keep updating it and but for some lines on the display it is still going strong. Garmin release three updates a year, last year 2015.20 and .30 were the same, so effectively there were two. In fact the 2015.30 did not download at all.

My son has a City AVN with MMI (also the unit is apparently sourced from MMI). It hangs and has to be then stopped and restarted.He also had an issue with the updates. The unit was not initially registered with MMI, and Honda were not too keen to help. MMI were helpful and finally sent him the CD.
Old 16th October 2016, 08:28   #3553
Senior - BHPian

I am looking for a good GPS system.

It has to be updateable.
It has to have good coverage of major Indian cities and roads (tier 2 at least)
Price around 10k

What are my options?

Garmin?
MapMyIndia?
A cheap Android tab with Google Maps or Sygic?

Also do you recommend a dedicated GPS navigator or one that has other features like reverse camera?
Old 16th October 2016, 09:54   #3554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I am looking for a good GPS system.

It has to be updateable.
It has to have good coverage of major Indian cities and roads (tier 2 at least)
Price around 10k

What are my options?

Garmin?
MapMyIndia?
A cheap Android tab with Google Maps or Sygic?

Also do you recommend a dedicated GPS navigator or one that has other features like reverse camera?
Phone/Android based system wins hands down nowadays. Note I am not considering AVN here but an after market extra fitment for comparison:

Android/phone:
1) Way cheaper
2) if you are connected to network, you get traffic updates and route suggestions.
3) Google provides the most up to date maps.
4) offline modes and apps like here maps don't require a network connection.
5) when you are in familiar territory dismantle it and keep it safe. Avoid clutter.
6) Dedicated systems still need that electric connection wire from the 12V outlet unless you have really taken pain to put in the wiring and conceal it. Most of us don't. Once you hardwire it or fix the dedicated system permanently, its an eyesore when you don't use it. An extra clutter.
7)The dedicated system would occupy same space as a phone based system-so that is no more an added advantage.

Now the consideration with AVN. The most important factor is aesthetic. AVN's look clean but the biggest drawback is the extra cost and unavailability of traffic updates. You can go for it depending on what's important to you. You would go to unknown roads once in a while. Wouldn't fitting your Android phone temporarily with a phone Holder be more sensible and economical? once done pack it away..

IMHO- the age of dedicated GPS systems is over and the days of integrated AVNs are numbered.
Old 16th October 2016, 20:26   #3555
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm that does make sense in a few aspects. I guess if this is the way to go, I can buy a cheap Android tablet to use as the in car navigation. I shall have to go for a separate data SIM too, in this case.

I have a two din space where I could fit a navigation system so it is not an eyesore and also can be powered by the car's battery. So aesthetics and power are not much of a concern.

Last edited by honeybee : 16th October 2016 at 20:28.

Most Viewed