Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2016, 00:19   #3556
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I shall have to go for a separate data SIM too, in this case.
Not really. I have used Google maps downloaded offline via WiFi on my old phone and used it as gps without a SIM. You could also wifi hotspot of your phone if you need data connection temporarily.
Old 21st October 2016, 09:02   #3557
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Hmmm yes, but I think it might make sense if the device were independent of the phone.

Appreciate the inputs! I am going to see if there is a 2 din device with GPS, ICE and reverse camera all in one. If not, maybe a GPS with reverse camera on the IRVM, and if that too doesn't work, the phone or tablet route.
Old 19th November 2016, 15:24   #3558
J.Ravi

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Today, my phone got the software for NaviMaps app updated and new September 2016 maps.

The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-screenshot_20161119142407193.jpeg

The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-screenshot_20161119142734223.jpeg

The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-screenshot_20161119142932822.jpeg

Old 19th November 2016, 23:43   #3559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I can buy a cheap Android tablet to use as the in car navigation.

I have a two din space where I could fit a navigation system so it is not an eyesore and also can be powered by the car's battery. So aesthetics and power are not much of a concern.
Mounting the tab properly will be the most difficult part IMO. I bought a tab just for this purpose and experimented with few different holders. The biggest pain was to overheating when leaving the car parked outside or even day trips during summer. Was never satisfied and it never worked as a permanent solution.

Nowadays I use the combination of Sygic in an old phone and Google maps on the daily use phone. There are many different and good phone mounting options to suit your vehicle and taste.

My ideal solution would be a 2 din unit that mirrors the phone and has a good touch interface, but there aren't any good VFM options available yet.
Old 30th November 2016, 22:32   #3560
BHPian

Re: The OpenStreetMaps Info

Is there any way one can focus on a specific region in openstreemaps?

I have installed the india maps on my garmin (nuvi 1350) device, and the search for places wouldn't bring up well known taluks/towns of mangalore district.

Now if am going around in a specific region/belt is there any way i can enrich information for this particular geographic zone, so that the search brings up all well known towns/villages?

Please advise.

Last edited by JMaruru : 30th November 2016 at 22:39.
Old 12th December 2016, 09:22   #3561
Senior - BHPian

After much thought and deliberations, I decided to use the mobile phone for navigation. It has 4g and I have a Jio sim card, so at least for a few months more, navigation and data will be free. But there was the question of a sturdy mobile holder.

While window-shopping the Reliance Digital shop at Viviana, Thane, I came across a mobile holder by Amkette - the same company that used to make the early floppy disk drives! The unit is a bit pricey at Rs. 899/- but I decided to take the plunge and bought it.

The unit has a separate pad for securely attaching to the dashboard. If you want to mount it on the glass, this pad is not required. I mounted the unit on the glass with the suction cup, and the nightly drive home did not see much problem. The real test was next day when the unit was left in the hot sun. The suction still held on, and finally I heaved a sigh of relief.

The unit duly served me during my Mumbai - Delhi trip (including rough roads) and hasn't come off on its own yet. It's always mounted in the car and the suction power is just great.

The base of the unit also has a neat slot in the middle, from where you can connect a charging cable to the phone.
Old 12th December 2016, 10:31   #3562
BHPian

Re: The OpenStreetMaps Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Is there any way one can focus on a specific region in openstreemaps?

I have installed the india maps on my garmin (nuvi 1350) device, and the search for places wouldn't bring up well known taluks/towns of mangalore district.

Now if am going around in a specific region/belt is there any way i can enrich information for this particular geographic zone, so that the search brings up all well known towns/villages?

Please advise.
There is a workaround. Download Garmin Basecamp on your computer, plot your route on the computer using Google Maps, save that as a KML or KMZ file, and send that file to your Garmin device.

Google Maps is better at finding remote places, and OpenstreetsMap on the Garmin can provide the navigation afterwards.

Here's a video that explains nicely how this can be done:

Hope this helps. Cheers

Last edited by tilt : 12th December 2016 at 10:33. Reason: Added YouTube video link
Old 13th March 2017, 05:28   #3563
BHPian

Re: India Maps for Garmin?

Are there any other good alternatives for OSM maps for India? For cities, OSM maps are good, but there is NOT much detail when on the road. The maps would be for my Garmin device.

Please suggest!
Old 13th March 2017, 07:33   #3564
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Are there any other good alternatives for OSM maps for India? For cities, OSM maps are good, but there is NOT much detail when on the road. The maps would be for my Garmin device.
Over the years Garmin's own maps in my opinion have made great strides. Couple it with the fact, MMI has stopped Garmin support, you dont have any choice. So its possible MMI may have improved over times but there is no comparison possible.

My suggestion: Get Garmin's India maps. No doubt they are expensive at 100$. But in my opinion worth it. Also note OSM maps are updated regularly. I hope you follow their release.

Last edited by ampere : 13th March 2017 at 07:35.
Old 14th March 2017, 17:14   #3565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Also note OSM maps are updated regularly. I hope you follow their release.
What is the difference between plain 'Generic Routable' and 'Generic Routable + New Style'?
Old 14th March 2017, 18:56   #3566
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
My suggestion: Get Garmin's India maps. No doubt they are expensive at 100$. But in my opinion worth it. Also note OSM maps are updated regularly. I hope you follow their release.
Due to the $100 tag I prefer buying an India Specific Garmin with the LM suffix. LM stands for Lifetime maps. This gets you free upgrades for the life (say 10 years) of the system.
Old 15th March 2017, 17:24   #3567
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What is the difference between plain 'Generic Routable' and 'Generic Routable + New Style'?
OSM FAQ has the answer:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/G...28new_style.29

Quote:
The new style generic map has some more features (bridges, tunnels, oneway arrows, better display of unpaved roads, cycleways etc) and comes with it's own typ file. It has larger tiles compared with the default generic routable map so it might not suit older units that don't have external SD card memory. More info on this style can be found in this topic on the OSM forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I am planning to replace my existing Garmin unit which has crossed its fifth birthday. Suggestions about current products and prices. I will like to go for an LM type only.
Do you really find the need to change?

Last edited by ampere : 15th March 2017 at 17:37.
Old 15th March 2017, 17:34   #3568
BANNED

I am planning to replace my existing Garmin unit which has crossed its fifth birthday. Suggestions about current products and prices. I will like to go for an LM type only.
Old 16th March 2017, 10:56   #3569
BANNED

Quote:
Do you really find the need to change?
Valid point. Two reasons. The display has developed some lost lines, very annoying.

More Important - right now my Garmin GPS (which was in the Civic) has gone with the car to our son! So I have an old MMI software in his City Mk.III AVN. The unit is a bit dodgy and occasionally hangs.
Old 16th March 2017, 11:14   #3570
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Valid point. Two reasons. The display has developed some lost lines, very annoying.
More Important - right now my Garmin GPS (which was in the Civic) has gone with the car to our son! So I have an old MMI software in his City Mk.III AVN. The unit is a bit dodgy and occasionally hangs.
Agreed.

Here is what I think you should look at:

Nuvi 2567LM

http://www.garmin.co.in/products/ont...67lm/#specsTab

Most Viewed