Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 11th November 2018, 11:46   #3616
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

If OpenStreet is good, then get any Garmin and add OpenStreet maps. This looks like the best of both the worlds. Best GPS unit and the better maps. So I will follow @Prowler; and get the OpenStreet stuff.
Old 4th February 2019, 21:39   #3617
BHPian

Default Re: 'Google Maps' on Amazon 'Fire HD 8'?

Is there a way to load google maps onto amazon fire HD 8(7th gen) tablet?
I see some of the uber/ola guys use a bigger tablet vs mobile for navigation.

Please do let me know if there is a work around.
Old 6th March 2019, 14:47   #3618
BHPian

Default Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

I had just posted a similar query few minutes back in another thread.
Yes, I am also trying for a similar setup, which I can then attach to windshield, but not jeopardize my dear mobile.
Old 16th November 2020, 10:44   #3619
Senior - BHPian

Hi Prowler

Which one is better, new style or regular. My Garmin 215w has last map updates from 2016. I can confirm that garmin can read the openstreet map.

The size is much much lesser than original garmin map @899MB.

Also do we keep the original 2016 map in memory and put openstreet in SD card ?

Thanks,
Rahul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Sure. This is what you do for Garmin:

1. Go to this site : http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
2. Select Asia -> India
3. If you choose Generic Routable Map, you can download the map there.
4. If you choose the Generic Routable (new Style) then Enter your email id and click Build My map

You will be sent email containing the link. Earlier there used to be a simple download link.

In both cases, You will download something like this : osm_generic_new_gmapsupp.zip

Expand that and the resulting file will be : gmapsupp.img

Now comes the tricky part. Connect your Garmin through the USB. It will show up as a removable drive in your Windows Explorer. In the root you will find the original map - gmapsupp.img

You can download that and save that somewhere safe. You may as well save the entire drive - just in case.

Remove the original image file and replace it with the expanded version from OpenStreet. You are done.

Remove the Garmin device after the usual eject procedure. Connect to your Car and take it for a spin. It should show you the recent map.

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 16th November 2020 at 10:49.
Rahulk76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 11:56   #3620
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Is there a way to load google maps onto amazon fire HD 8(7th gen) tablet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
I had just posted a similar query few minutes back in another thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Which one is better, new style or regular. My Garmin 215w has last map updates from 2016. I can confirm that garmin can read the openstreet map.
Either cache Google maps on tablet before you move and also add a sim to your tablet? Or go back to old Garmin.

I am still on Garmin for roads. I updated to 2018 maps. They are GOOD!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 12:19   #3621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Either cache Google maps on tablet before you move and also add a sim to your tablet? Or go back to old Garmin.

I am still on Garmin for roads. I updated to 2018 maps. They are GOOD!
I have stopped trusting Google Maps when i venture to remote areas 100%. Garmin is still the best of the best, my nuvi has 5 meter accuracy to locations despite being 10 yrs old and good shape.

Can you PM me a link if there is to download 2018 maps ?
Old 16th November 2020, 12:56   #3622
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Prowler

The size is much much lesser than original garmin map @899MB.

Also do we keep the original 2016 map in memory and put openstreet in SD card ?
Go for the regular one available here: http://osm.pleiades.uni-wuppertal.de...5a71903689d7e/
The new version has features which may not be used in the firmware of the Garmin I have. I have tried both but removed the new version as it didn't offer anything new - at least in my Garmin.
You can copy the old map file to your computer and replace it with the new one. The new version is dated 20-06-2020.
My Garmin needs a new battery which is difficult to source in India. So it needs to be connected to the charger when not in use.
Old 16th November 2020, 13:12   #3623
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have stopped trusting Google Maps when i venture to remote areas 100%. Garmin is still the best of the best, my nuvi has 5 meter accuracy to locations despite being 10 yrs old and good shape.

Can you PM me a link if there is to download 2018 maps ?
I think you order them through international Garmin sites and not Indian Garmin! (Yes that indeed is strange)

Search for City Navigator South Asia.

Edit : Its 100$ !

Last edited by ampere : 16th November 2020 at 13:45. Reason: Added more details
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 14:25   #3624
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi. Anyone updated their MapmyIndia maps? I’m currently on old 7.1. They charge for update, I don’t know how much (probably 500/-) but since my navigator device is old, I’m not sure if it will last. So, I’m thinking if offline google maps is a better option? Is there any option to download entire India map through google maps?

Last edited by saket77 : 16th November 2020 at 14:38.

Most Viewed