Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2010, 17:12   #466
Senior - BHPian

one more question, is there any specifc way to keep the gadget safe from stealing (one way is to carry it away), i am asking this query just to clarify that is the MMI made some arrangements for the security of the device in case the car is parked at some unknown place
Old 31st January 2010, 17:55   #467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburagohain View Post
I have a question to all who are currently using either MMI or SNav devices regarding route recalculation.

What happens if you take another route; say, one leading away from the route suggested initially by the device, does the software update and recalculate the route based on your location?

Reason for asking this is that I was trying the new OVI Maps from Nokia and found that the navigation system tries to get the wandering driver back to the suggested course first and then continue from there, the route recalculation is purely aimed at getting one back to the initial course, no matter if that means the driver has to make a U turn 5km away or something of that kind

I am planning to get the VX140, any inputs to the above query is appreciated.

Cheers!
If you choose another route, MMI VX 140 recalculate the route and re-route under chosen route. It wont tell you to take U-turn if new route you choose also leads to destination.

Example : I wanted to reach HSR Layout in bangalore, The route MMI showed was to take left in 80 FT road, but i continued straight to Hosur Road, MMI re-routed to take it to Hosur Road and then HSR Layout. It just took 50 meters and 5 Seconds to re-route.
Old 31st January 2010, 18:46   #468
J.Ravi

When I tried navigation to Sri Krishna Kalyana Mantapa, 18th Main, Jayanagar, my MMI Lx130 showed the location correctly, but without 'Sri' prefix in the PoI. We knew it as we had gone there already. However, when I tried Google Map, it showed two locations, viz., the correct location and another non-existent wrong one near Swagath Garuda Mall. Initially, I got confused and went there only to find that there is no marriage hall! Finally, we made it to the correct location, thanks to my MMI Lx130. Earlier, Google Map correctly showed the location of Tamarind Tree, off Kanakapura Road, but MMI didn't show it at all. So, my observation: No map is perfect.

Old 31st January 2010, 18:56   #469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
one more question, is there any specifc way to keep the gadget safe from stealing (one way is to carry it away), i am asking this query just to clarify that is the MMI made some arrangements for the security of the device in case the car is parked at some unknown place

I remove the device + cradle and put it into seat cover. (Most seat covers have storage space at back of front seats). There, its hidden form the view.
Old 31st January 2010, 18:58   #470
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburagohain View Post
What happens if you take another route; say, one leading away from the route suggested initially by the device, does the software update and recalculate the route based on your location?
This is based on the little experience have with MMI. Being in a small town, I use it for out of town trips.

When I choose a place due south to my location and I go north, it would tell me to take a U turn if it feels that there is no other way or reroute to get me back to the original route.

This happened to me: I started off from my town with the route set to a place which was in the eastern direction. The route that I normally take is take the road towards south for about 4 kms and then turn east. But before I turned to the east, my wife wanted to go to a temple which was in the northern part of the town and so I turned back towards the temple. Upto a point in the centre of the town, it was trying to get me back to the original route.After that it recalculated a completely different route and I did follow that new route and reached my destination without problem. I never knew some of the roads in that route before MMI showed it to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
i am asking this query just to clarify that is the MMI made some arrangements for the security of the device in case the car is parked at some unknown place
None that I am aware of!
Old 31st January 2010, 19:37   #471
Senior - BHPian

even if i am a local traveler only and that too within the city, in that case will the VX140 be useful for me.

Ford dealers also sells MMI devices as their accessories, may be all this stuffing will give a competition to Audi!! LOL

one of the dealer at my place told me that he has sold units of MMI but not a single unit of SATNAV till date, may be due to their less coverage.

query for all VX140 owners, could you please suggest that is the bluetooth hands free system strong enough to make and receive a call through it.

Last edited by Technocrat : 2nd February 2010 at 20:09.
Old 2nd February 2010, 19:56   #472
BHPian

Thanks Shamanth and Trrk for the updates on re-route, time to make a decision :-)

Cheers!
Old 3rd February 2010, 16:53   #473
Senior - BHPian

I was searching through the various threads where i found this CAR PC thread,

it is quite useful in terms of teh 7" screen offered.

may be of use to any of the bhpian.iRide Technologies - VGA Touchscreen Monitors
Old 4th February 2010, 18:08   #474
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Here is my long overdue review of MapMyIndia Devices and Maps.

Just wanted to share my feedback on VX140. I exchanged this device in lieu of LX130 which in spite of 2 replacements, MMI could not resolve issues with.

I had no choice but to buy VX140 since they refused to return money.

This is past, now story thus far...

I have been using MMI maps on my Mitsubishi Cedia where the music system (Kenwood) came pre installed with MMI maps and I am also using VX140 on other car.

While Cedia MMI functions okay (I expected sub optimal routing and ambiguous directions based on my earlier experience with MMI) VX140 is sheer waste.

If you switch on the device and do not stay in open for minimum 15 minutes than there is no way it will pick up signals in moving vehicle. When I spoke with MMI product head Shivalik, his response was "you can wait for 5 minutes before starting" I found it very funny. What if you have to seek address of nearest hospital in case of an emergency?

The battery lasts 2 hours maximum (if you are lucky) else it drains in less than 2 hours. There is no way you can charge and use device at the same time after it has drained because device will keep shutting off (and ofcourse you need to stop car and recite all nursery rhymes before it gets signal again).

The interface is also not very user friendly, for example if you search for "Sector-15 Rohini" it will give you 2-3 results which will be all similar. Seems they dont remove duplicate routes when they upgrade maps.

The house or block level routing is impossible and I dont blame MMI for this becuase this is same even on the Q-4 Navteq maps that I used on Garmin device for comparison.

The touch screen interface is very inaccurate, you hardly get any click right on first go.

Nav routing is no where near acceptable, I will give you an example, if you have routed the device for pitampura and you are going on ring road then in middle of 2 flyovers (while the car is on flyover) it will ask you to "turn right". Even on expressways, there is no differentiation of divider and two different lanes, it just shows you one lane and directions are routed on wrong sides.

Bluetooth speakerphone is just a gimmick, it hardy works as desired.

I am yet to compare a SatNav device but MMI LX130 or VX140 is a BIG "NO" for anyone considering dumping money on it. Instead I will suggest that you buy a Garmin device over your overseas trip or from street market and use Navteq Map marketed by Garmin resellers. It is far superior as compared to cheap chinese MMI devices which are overpriced by minimum 250% if not less.

MMI's VP sales quoted to me during Autoexpo that they are shortly coming up with "improved" device called ZX150 but I am sure it will be similar crap.

Guys, I have nothing against MMI but I am simply sharing my experience with you hoping if it can help.
Old 4th February 2010, 18:19   #475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The battery lasts 2 hours maximum (if you are lucky) else it drains in less than 2 hours. There is no way you can charge and use device at the same time after it has drained because device will keep shutting off (and ofcourse you need to stop car and recite all nursery rhymes before it gets signal again).
Can't you leave it connected to the dc socket in your car? I think thats what most people do with their satnavs as they are power hungry devices. Then when you get out the car it will be fully charged and if need be you can walk with the device if you are parked far from your destination.
Old 4th February 2010, 18:25   #476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Can't you leave it connected to the dc socket in your car? I think thats what most people do with their satnavs as they are power hungry devices. Then when you get out the car it will be fully charged and if need be you can walk with the device if you are parked far from your destination.

I have more devices to charge like my blackberry, Ipod etc, so can't leave it charging for ever. Second issue is that the charger heats up to an extent where it appears that if I wont switch it off for some time then it may melt. Really cheap chinese accessories.
Old 4th February 2010, 18:26   #477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor View Post
Hi Guys,

Here is my long overdue review of MapMyIndia Devices and Maps.

Just wanted to share my feedback on VX140. I exchanged this device in lieu of LX130 which in spite of 2 replacements, MMI could not resolve issues with.

I had no choice but to buy VX140 since they refused to return money.

This is past, now story thus far...

I have been using MMI maps on my Mitsubishi Cedia where the music system (Kenwood) came pre installed with MMI maps and I am also using VX140 on other car.

While Cedia MMI functions okay (I expected sub optimal routing and ambiguous directions based on my earlier experience with MMI) VX140 is sheer waste.

If you switch on the device and do not stay in open for minimum 15 minutes than there is no way it will pick up signals in moving vehicle. When I spoke with MMI product head Shivalik, his response was "you can wait for 5 minutes before starting" I found it very funny. What if you have to seek address of nearest hospital in case of an emergency?

The interface is also not very user friendly, for example if you search for "Sector-15 Rohini" it will give you 2-3 results which will be all similar. Seems they dont remove duplicate routes when they upgrade maps.

The house or block level routing is impossible and I dont blame MMI for this becuase this is same even on the Q-4 Navteq maps that I used on Garmin device for comparison.

The touch screen interface is very inaccurate, you hardly get any click right on first go.

Nav routing is no where near acceptable, I will give you an example, if you have routed the device for pitampura and you are going on ring road then in middle of 2 flyovers (while the car is on flyover) it will ask you to "turn right". Even on expressways, there is no differentiation of divider and two different lanes, it just shows you one lane and directions are routed on wrong sides.

Bluetooth speakerphone is just a gimmick, it hardy works as desired.

I am yet to compare a SatNav device but MMI LX130 or VX140 is a BIG "NO" for anyone considering dumping money on it. Instead I will suggest that you buy a Garmin device over your overseas trip or from street market and use Navteq Map marketed by Garmin resellers. It is far superior as compared to cheap chinese MMI devices which are overpriced by minimum 250% if not less.

MMI's VP sales quoted to me during Autoexpo that they are shortly coming up with "improved" device called ZX150 but I am sure it will be similar crap.

Guys, I have nothing against MMI but I am simply sharing my experience with you hoping if it can help.
so, a disappointing affair for you, i was on the verge of booking the MMI VX140 on other page when got to read your review, i closed the page of making the paymentm may be need to revalaute again,
I also thought of going for dx5032 coming with cedia, but have second thoughts as do not want to part away with the new stock ice in my fiesta.
but i think the other people with vx140 are quite happy.
Old 4th February 2010, 18:42   #478
Distinguished - BHPian

rishi_kapoor, thanks for the review: a very damning one indeed for anyone contemplating MMI devices. It is particularly bad that they refuse to refund if the device is not good. Seems to me that a lot of Indian suppliers have not heard of the idea of contract --- payment is for something that works, if it doesn't, either supply brand new replacement or refund. Hmmm... even car manufacturers, but I digress...

Can someone please clear up for me a very elementary doubt...

If one buys Garmin device, and loads MMI maps on it, is the interface/tools/etc still the same as Garmin? Is it just the maps that get loaded, or the MMI programming as well?
Old 4th February 2010, 20:16   #479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor View Post
Hi Guys,
and yes same could have been the case with the cedia ICE, but sa you say that MMI maps are well there then the problem should not occur for VX140 also
Old 4th February 2010, 20:56   #480
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
rishi_kapoor, thanks for the review: a very damning one indeed for anyone contemplating MMI devices. It is particularly bad that they refuse to refund if the device is not good. Seems to me that a lot of Indian suppliers have not heard of the idea of contract --- payment is for something that works, if it doesn't, either supply brand new replacement or refund. Hmmm... even car manufacturers, but I digress...

Can someone please clear up for me a very elementary doubt...

If one buys Garmin device, and loads MMI maps on it, is the interface/tools/etc still the same as Garmin? Is it just the maps that get loaded, or the MMI programming as well?

All you will need is the map and nothing else. No other MMI programs. They will send the map in an SD card, which when you insert in your device it starts working out of the box. Garmin then takes over.

Because of the kind of reasons that Rishi mentioned, and based feedbacks I got here in BHP, I bought my own hardware (Garmin Nuvi 205W). Since Garmin devices sold by MMI are way over-priced I got then on my own.

Basic functions work very well. Routes, POI, waypoints, turn-by-turn instructions function perfectly. In alien cities it has helped me really well and I am very satisfied with the performance. My Garmin is the bare minimum version (No BT, video, music etc) Since I don't need any of these extra features, I am very comfortable with what I have.

Though I have Satguide maps and not MMI, my guess is it will function just as well.

As regards to power, yes it drains off in 3-4 hours max. So, on long drives, I had it powered to the socket. For cases like Rishi's you will more than one socket .

My summary Garmin H/W + India Maps (MMI or Satguide) is the best combo.

Last edited by ampere : 4th February 2010 at 20:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks