Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2010, 19:51   #571
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
Any specific reason why you want two devices when one converged device can do the job. There are already devices which do phone, email, gps, audio/video very well and all this can be voice operated.
I am using an htc diamond for above, but in the future with android phones like xperia x10 (with turn bu turn voice google maps) coming soon these functions will be done much much better
@jassi,
I do agee what you say. My only point is that, the visibility is much better in actual navigation based products. The terrains/roads/POIs etc are much clearer and with 4.3 inch screens, they are much better when mounted on a dashboard as compared to a phone. Not sure is the mapping software are viewable from a distance.

@Ruchir, As regards to blue tooth and a video player, at least I have not used my Garmin for these purposes. I guess that is a personal choice. That also reduced the price of my Garmin device.

For personal navigation, phones are the best of course.

Last edited by ampere : 18th February 2010 at 19:53.
Old 18th February 2010, 20:04   #572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
How is the idea of buying a 3.5" Screen N900 and then use it as phone and a GPS for car as well instead of PND's
I use my Nokia phone as a PND.

Have fixed a holder on windscreen and phone stays there while navigation. Works great.

Garmin is best software for Nokia phones. And with 3 inch touch screen, my phone is as usable as Garmin PND.

BTW : N900 is not a good choice since most software like Garmin / Sygic would not run on this phone. You need a symbian phone like N97 or 5800/5230.
Old 18th February 2010, 20:52   #573
BHPian

I use Satguide on my Windows Mobile phone.
The map is "One India" plan and costed me ~2200.
The phone is ASUS P320 and is almost 1.5 years old. That time it was ~10.5K, now dropped to ~8K.
It was quite useful for me in many of the occasions.
The only issue is the phone speed - the processing speed of P320 is only 200MHz. It will become slow during all category search. I think a good processing speed will give better results.
Here is the photo wile GPS in use:
The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-p1010591.jpg
Old 19th February 2010, 09:18   #574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
It was quite useful for me in many of the occasions.
The only issue is the phone speed - the processing speed of P320 is only 200MHz. It will become slow during all category search. I think a good processing speed will give better results.
Here is the photo wile GPS in use:
Attachment 290618
good one, where did you got that mobile holder from, is there any holder for dashboard mount as well.
Old 19th February 2010, 10:42   #575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
good one, where did you got that mobile holder from, is there any holder for dashboard mount as well.
I've got the same holder. It does come with a dashboard mount. Paid Rs. 135/-
Old 19th February 2010, 12:58   #576
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
I use my Nokia phone as a PND.

Have fixed a holder on windscreen and phone stays there while navigation. Works great.

Garmin is best software for Nokia phones. And with 3 inch touch screen, my phone is as usable as Garmin PND.

BTW : N900 is not a good choice since most software like Garmin / Sygic would not run on this phone. You need a symbian phone like N97 or 5800/5230.
If you have a garmin S/W on the phone, then yes, its worth it. My main point was you need to buy a costly phone to enable this. Its only now that basic phones have started coming with GPS at 8-9K. Previously this was not possible.
Old 19th February 2010, 14:09   #577
BHPian

I am not sure where have you reached with your research on buying, but if I you have not decided on buying one of these, I would suggest you to go for garmin devices. I think the above listed devices are not from a reputed company(correct me if I am wrong). They may look tempting however you might have tough time getting map support/updates for them

Garmin devices are widely accepted world wide and you will get a lot of map providers globally. If you think garmin devices in India are oudated then you can buy one from US.There is a site Shop in the US from India @ 20North - Millions of products, Thousands of brands , you can buy them at reasonable price. Also then you can buy maps from mapmyindia or any other reputed provider. Do check the models supported by map providers in India before buying.

Last when I calculated, one of high end garmin devices(20north) with official maps from mapmyIndia, totally costed arounf 17k while mapmyIndia is selling a similar lower end version at 25k . So I guess a little RND + googling you can get a good deal.
Old 19th February 2010, 15:22   #578
Senior - BHPian

anybody has a experience with the 20NORTH about buying any electronic stuff and about warranty claims
Old 19th February 2010, 15:23   #579
BHPian

Update: I have been using Garmin Navteq maps on my newly acquired Garmin Nuvi 750 for the last week or so. I am fairly happy with the map coverage (these are Q4-2009 maps) but nothing to shout about really. I plan to visit MMI and Satguide dealers in and around Delhi for a demo before concluding which maps to buy. Will keep all posted.
Old 19th February 2010, 15:45   #580
Team-BHP Support

Folks,

I was checking the MMI site. It says mobile maps are available for 2500.

However, The Garmin maps are for 7000/-. Is the content covered in the two same? If so, is it Garmin which is making the difference?

Its quite a difference. !
Old 19th February 2010, 16:13   #581
BHPian

Quote:
I bought it through ebay.in
I don't exactly remember the price, but it is around Rs.150.
It is not very strong and sturdy, but seems to serve the purpose.
This model was not having a dash board mount option.
You may find some other models with dash board mount or both together.
Old 19th February 2010, 18:03   #582
BHPian

Quote:
Suction type mounts cannot work on Fiesta dashboards since it is grainy and hence the vaccum suction won't work. However, you can search for friction mount type(search on google/amazon - basically these are with non-skid rubberised bottoms)..but I am convinced this will work on our potholed roads.

What is your issue with window-shield mounts? Try placing it at the right-bottom corner of the front windowshield glass - even with sunfilm installed in my car, I don't face any issue at all either with sturdiness or visibility. Are you worried about the aesthetics???
Old 19th February 2010, 22:24   #583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
What is your issue with window-shield mounts? Try placing it at the right-bottom corner of the front windowshield glass - even with sunfilm installed in my car, I don't face any issue at all either with sturdiness or visibility. Are you worried about the aesthetics???
so no problem even with windshield sunfilm, then it is OK
and do you have any experience of 20NORTH purchase means do they cover warranty in india
Old 19th February 2010, 22:37   #584
BHPian

Quote:
so no problem even with windshield sunfilm, then it is OK
and do you have any experience of 20NORTH purchase means do they cover warranty in india
This 20NORTH etc are only shippers..they collect the items on your behalf at their registered US address (since lot of US online retailers will not ship to India) and then courier them to you. Regarding warranty, you still have to ship the item back to them, they will co-ordinate with the mfgr/seller and get the replacement/fix etc. But what happens if 20NORTH itself goes 420SOUTH
Old 20th February 2010, 01:51   #585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
@jassi,
I do agee what you say. My only point is that, the visibility is much better in actual navigation based products. The terrains/roads/POIs etc are much clearer and with 4.3 inch screens, they are much better when mounted on a dashboard as compared to a phone. Not sure is the mapping software are viewable from a distance.
check the screen size and quality as well as other features on this
Sony Ericsson

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks