Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2010, 15:29   #736

What should I do?

I got the same offer as cool_dude. MMI customer center called me and asked me if I would be interested in buying Blaupunkt TravelPilot Lucca in Rs. 7990/- . Don't know if I should go ahead with the deal.

Sound good to me though. Has anyone used it? Users please advice.

cool_dude,

Did you purchase the unit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Guys,

I called up MMI office today with an intent of purchasing an MMI Road Pilot. They told me that Road Pilot is out of stock and would be available only next month. Instead, they offered me Blaupunkt TravelPilot Lucca at the same rate provided I buy one year map upgrade plan as well.

I am cautiously confused here - Per the MMI website, MRP for MMI RP is INR 7,990 and that for Blaupunkt TravelPilot Lucca is INR 13,990. Even if you throw in one year upgrade plan of INR 1,250, it still sounds too good to be true unless TravelPilot Lucca is an obsolete model.

Experts, please help
Old 27th April 2010, 16:16   #737
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atulmuley View Post
Did you purchase the unit?
Not yet Atul - still doing some research. At the outset, I can see the following differences b/w the two units (as given on MMI website):

- TP has a bigger display compared to RP (a big plus)
- RP comes with Win CE 6.0 whereas TP with Win CE 5.0 (not sure if that makes a difference)
- RP has a faster processor (500 MHz) compared to the TP (400 MHz)
- RP is almost 100 gm lighter than TP
- TP has a music player as well whereas RP does not (low priority for me)
- TP is sold under a solid brandname (Blaupunkt) although I am sure both devices are Chinese/Taiwanese make

Going by the reviews on the forum, I am very tempted to go for a Garmin + SatNav maps combo just that I am unable to get hold of anyone coming from the US who can get me a Garmin unit
Old 28th April 2010, 00:54   #738
BHPian

I got Garmin 205W from US through my friend (costed me around Rs. 5500) and purchased Satguide Map today for Rs. 990.

I had placed an online order for satguide yesterday at around 5 pm and i got the map in a SD card today by courier by around 2 pm.

I haven't started using the maps yet. The packet had just the SD card and there were no user manuals as mentioned on the packet. Does anyone have the same ?
Old 28th April 2010, 12:49   #739
Senior - BHPian

Garmin nüvi 260W | MMI vs. SatNav maps

Folks,

Garmin nüvi 260W is costing $130 on Amazon - looks like a good deal to me. Anyone tried this unit? Feedback please. If there are other better VFM models available, please let me know. I am NOT interested in music/video playback but pure/no-frills navigation!

Also appreciated would be feedback from users who have used both SatNav as well as MMI maps. I know SatNav maps for Garmin cost much lesser compared to MMI ones but how do they compare from a usability standpoint? My usage would be mostly over NH's, SH's and interior roads (very less of intra-city usage) - specific feedback keeping this in mind would help
Old 28th April 2010, 14:10   #740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
I got Garmin 205W from US through my friend (costed me around Rs. 5500) and purchased Satguide Map today for Rs. 990.
bnzjon, did you mount it on your linea yet ? I'm planning to get the 205W from US.

Is the suction mount that comes along with the 205W adequate for the Linea or a portable friction mount also necessary ?

Amazon.com: Garmin Portable Friction Mount: Electronics

I don't want to spend another $30 on the friction mount unless it's really useful.
Old 28th April 2010, 14:15   #741
Senior - BHPian

I have had a 260W for the last 2 years - love it. I use Garmin India map, which has some address search capabilities. Usually area search like say "Vyalikaval" or "Malleswaram" gives a lot of possibilities you can choose from instead of accurate street address search.

Have used it a lot in Bangalore, and the only snafu is the ubiquitous Bangalore navigation problems - sudden conversion of 2-way to 1-way, direction of 1-way, and no way to cross the median where there was none till yesterday! New areas / layouts - whose names are perpetually changing in Bangalore - will always flummox even the best mapping companies in the world!

Decent map for Mysore and other towns, state highways etc. When going off the main highways, it is easy to make sense of where you are going by zooming out.
Old 28th April 2010, 14:19   #742
Team-BHP Support

Not sure of 260, but I have been using 205W for quite some time with Satguide maps. I would say its a steal for 1000/-. Real VFM. (I mean the maps).

205W has also become VFM, if you dont basic good Garmin GPS (I think about 90 in Amazon).

Tried in Karnataka (BLR, Mysore), Ooty, Chennai, Kerala etc and it works very well.

Last edited by ampere : 28th April 2010 at 14:20.
Old 28th April 2010, 15:43   #743
BHPian

Quote:
I had placed an online order for satguide yesterday at around 5 pm and i got the map in a SD card today by courier by around 2 pm.

I haven't started using the maps yet. The packet had just the SD card and there were no user manuals as mentioned on the packet. Does anyone have the same ?
Had a quick question ( as I am going to order mine). Did the maps come in a Micro SD card with a converter for normal SD slots or did the maps come on a normal SD Card itself?

Last edited by f1fan : 28th April 2010 at 15:44.
Old 28th April 2010, 15:50   #744
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
Had a quick question ( as I am going to order mine). Did the maps come in a Micro SD card with a converter for normal SD slots or did the maps come on a normal SD Card itself?
The maps came in a Micro SD car for me. I mailed Satnav telling them that My PND has an SD card slot and not micro sd. Next day I promptly received by courier an SD card convertor/ adapter from them free of cost.
Now I can use this map both in mobile devices that have micro SD and my garmin (with the SD adapter)!
Sat nav rocks! And nothing to beat a Garmin!

Quote:

Satguide is very impressive. Sadly for me they dropped the price to 990 bucks 1 month after I buy!

No Need of user manuals for the maps. Use the user manual for your pnd. Pop the sd card in and voila it should work.
Old 28th April 2010, 16:26   #745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor View Post
Stay away from MMI, the upgrades will be expansive. SatNav has better quality and maps too. It is a myth and hype that MMI maps are better. I am using both MMI and SatNav maps and both are comparable.

SatNav is value for money in long run.
Try searching for villages in north west india in satnav maps and you will see for yourself why MMI beats it hands down. Maybe its different where you have tested. Having tested in Punjab and Haryana I would stick with MMI.
Old 28th April 2010, 17:57   #746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
bnzjon, did you mount it on your linea yet ? I'm planning to get the 205W from US.

Is the suction mount that comes along with the 205W adequate for the Linea or a portable friction mount also necessary ?

Amazon.com: Garmin Portable Friction Mount: Electronics

I don't want to spend another $30 on the friction mount unless it's really useful.
The windscreen suction mount is very good and is more than sufficient. Suggest dont invest on additional friction mounts.

I will post pictures tonight which would give you a clear idea.
Old 29th April 2010, 00:17   #747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
205W has also become VFM, if you dont basic good Garmin GPS (I think about 90 in Amazon)
Thanks Ampere. This sounds good to me. Let me put it this way - which is the cheapest (not obsolete) Garmin PND with a 4.3" screen
Old 29th April 2010, 02:53   #748
Distinguished - BHPian

Hope you don't think this is picking hairs, but obsolete is when the technology has moved somewhere else and the box won't work any longer. On the other hand, last-year's or discontinued models can be really worthwhile bargains.

I've found that to be true in most areas of shopping.

Standing by to be corrected, but I don't think there is any great new thing on the GPS horizon that would make buying a slightly older model risky?
Old 29th April 2010, 06:32   #749
Team-BHP Support

205W comes at 110$. I would say its a good one to start with, if you only need GPS (no BT, video player etc). The Garmin Nuvi Series is worth buying.
And as Thad pointed out, its a last year's model.

But I think, Garmin has not come up with new sets. Not sure though.

Last edited by ampere : 29th April 2010 at 06:33.
Old 29th April 2010, 11:06   #750
Senior - BHPian

Can someone tell me if the satnav maps can be loaded on this device :

PHAROS Pharos PDR250US Drive 4.3-Inch Touchscreen Portable GPS Navigator (Black) : GPS | Dell

My brother has this device and it's just lying around. Any feedback on Pharos GPS ?

Most Viewed