Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2010, 11:43   #751
BANNED

Ordered a new Garmin 265WT (I coule not find one without T) with Friction Mount and Case from Amazon for a total of $222.81 for delivery in the US. It was ordered yesterday and overnight all three items have been shipped. A friend is going to the US (his wife is already there) and shall be back early in June.

I will order a SatNav card towards the end of May. Any ideas here. One point one of the members bought the maps for 1425 or something like that, since he asked for a 2GB card. Any ideas as to the advantage of a 2GB card. Is it not that the unit can take up to four cards.
Old 29th April 2010, 12:48   #752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor View Post
Stay away from MMI, the upgrades will be expansive. SatNav has better quality and maps too. It is a myth and hype that MMI maps are better. I am using both MMI and SatNav maps and both are comparable.

SatNav is value for money in long run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Try searching for villages in north west india in satnav maps and you will see for yourself why MMI beats it hands down. Maybe its different where you have tested. Having tested in Punjab and Haryana I would stick with MMI.
I agree with bigman.
Also, MMI offered a free upgrade recently. I upgraded from 4.0 to 4.1 free of cost. So, "expensive upgrades" is the myth here.
Old 29th April 2010, 14:18   #753
BANNED

Well Rs.990 sure beats Rs.7000! I think some price rationalisation from MMI is called for. My son-in-law had found multiple issues with their Kolkata map (past of the full MMI pack with navigator). No reply to his mails etc.
Old 29th April 2010, 14:57   #754
Team-BHP Support

In south I am pretty OK with Karnataka/TN and Kerala to quite an extent.
Old 29th April 2010, 15:20   #755
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
... And as Thad pointed out, its a last year's model.
No comment on any specific model: my point was not to write off buying last year's model, if the discount is suitably attractive!
Old 29th April 2010, 15:26   #756
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
No comment on any specific model: my point was not to write off buying last year's model, if the discount is suitably attractive!
I am with you on that ! If the product is good and VFM and if it was a previous year's product, one can get cheaper rates !
Old 29th April 2010, 15:31   #757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
my point was not to write off buying last year's model, if the discount is suitably attractive!
Quote:
I am with you on that ! If the product is good and VFM and if it was a previous year's product, one can get cheaper rates !
I completely agree and since I am on the lookout for a basic/no-frills PND without any bells and whistles, I guess 205 would do the trick. Anything cheaper in the Nuvi series that is still available?
Old 29th April 2010, 15:41   #758
BHPian

Please search through the thread and you will yourself realize why SatNav is better "VFM" than MMI. I have no debate with fact that may have offered upgrade but than why ask money upfront for upgrade plans?
Old 29th April 2010, 18:21   #759

I have a eTrex Venture Cx GPS from Garmin. This came with base US Map, and can take micro SD card. Can SatGuide India Map work on this Garmin Device?
- KB
Old 29th April 2010, 20:12   #760
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
I completely agree and since I am on the lookout for a basic/no-frills PND without any bells and whistles, I guess 205 would do the trick. Anything cheaper in the Nuvi series that is still available?
205W and not 205. 205 is 3.5in while 205W is 4.3in. The product is still available in Amazon.
Old 30th April 2010, 13:12   #761
evo
BHPian

I`m planning to order the Blaupunkt Travel Pilot Lucca at 7990.

Is the Garmin one a better choice however?
Old 30th April 2010, 14:27   #762
Senior - BHPian

There are some upgrade related limitations on the lucca, you need to wait for an upgrade from Blaupunkt itself, can't upgrade directly from MMI.
Old 30th April 2010, 15:08   #763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
I`m planning to order the Blaupunkt Travel Pilot Lucca at 7990
Evo - I believe this is under the ongoing scheme that MMI has, right? Please provide some feedback once (if) you get your hands on the unit.

On a side note - I did not know that Blaupunkt manufactures (or markets) GPS devices as well!!!
Old 30th April 2010, 15:48   #764
Team-BHP Support

I would say use Garmin. More accepted and maps are available. If possible buy it in US and get it here.
Old 30th April 2010, 17:14   #765
evo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
There are some upgrade related limitations on the lucca, you need to wait for an upgrade from Blaupunkt itself, can't upgrade directly from MMI.
Oh, thats an interesting point the MMI representative "forgot" to mention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Evo - I believe this is under the ongoing scheme that MMI has, right? Please provide some feedback once (if) you get your hands on the unit.

On a side note - I did not know that Blaupunkt manufactures (or markets) GPS devices as well!!!
It does make HU`s that include navigation, so I suppose this should be there too.

Quote:
I would say use Garmin. More accepted and maps are available. If possible buy it in US and get it here.
In case of MMI, they have maps for both and they do say that they will provide "lifetime" software support for the Blaupunkt one too.

So that still leaves me a little confused! Should I or should I not.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks