Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2010, 15:25   #991
BANNED

We must remember. Whether you use MMI or SatNav keep your sense of humour. Indian maps have not been digitized as of now. Only some parts have been. So you must be willing to live with some errors as you go along.
Old 26th May 2010, 16:44   #992
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneMad View Post
Having studied the map data of practically every provider, i have to conclude that google's is the best. Not sure what the data sources for others are, but a fat lot of the roads they show dont exist
I agree - best part about Google Maps is that they might not show a road that exists (usually interiors) but as far as my experience goes, does not show a road that does not exist - scores good on reliability. I am waiting for the day when I can host Google Maps on my Garmin
Old 26th May 2010, 18:52   #993

@MX6

Thanks for the prompt response. Will rethink.

Can we have some first hand information on the RoadPilot, if someone is using it. What are the other alternatives? I have a reverse parking camera with its 3.5" TFT installed. Is there some device which can make use of this screen for displaying the maps?
Old 26th May 2010, 22:10   #994
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Go for a 4.3" screen size PND. Smaller screen makes it more difficult to type addresses, select POIs etc.
I have a Garmin unit with Satnav maps on it. Many members are going for Garmin device with bluetooth and satnav maps as it's good and satnav maps are VFM at 1/7th the price of MMI. Humbler suggestion from my side.
Old 26th May 2010, 22:21   #995
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
I agree - best part about Google Maps is that they might not show a road that exists (usually interiors) but as far as my experience goes, does not show a road that does not exist - scores good on reliability. I am waiting for the day when I can host Google Maps on my Garmin
Amen! I'm waiting too.
Old 27th May 2010, 16:05   #996
BANNED

Try Google maps. There is no road in the Leh - Khardung La - Nubra valley!
Old 27th May 2010, 17:14   #997
Team-BHP Support

Actually openstreetmap maps are much more accurate than google maps when it comes to ladakh region
Old 27th May 2010, 17:19   #998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Actually openstreetmap maps are much more accurate than google maps when it comes to ladakh region
Are these usable on Garmin PNDs?
Old 27th May 2010, 18:12   #999
Team-BHP Support

Yes, all you need to do is download the img file for india from downloads.cloudmade.com
It will be named gmapsupp.img. Store your old img file somewhere else as osm one is not routable.
Old 27th May 2010, 18:54   #1000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhukar_n View Post
i just got a garmin 255W device. (yet to come to BLR.. he paid some 140$ for that)
i called up satguide and they told me 999 for 650+ cities map on 1 GB SD card.
the mapmy india price is 7000 for the maps for 620 cities !!
difference is 7 times :-)

so most probably will order for the satguide maps. i will be using for the leh trip this august !!!

also has anyone used one GPS device from LACS ?? it is a bangalore based company. it costs about 11K for the device(with bluetooth) and maps
I use satguide on my garmin nuvi. man I had a torrid trip to kerala earlier this month. I did a simulation to Calicut via nilambur and i get prompts of U- turn when there is no chance of taking a u turn. Thank God I did not end up where i started from .
End result ended up doing additional 25kms and loosing 45 minutes extra on the trip, despite selecting shortest route on the simulation.
Does mapmyindia maps have similar issues?. I have given the guys at satguide a piece of my mind.

Last edited by Sportsmind : 27th May 2010 at 18:57.
Old 27th May 2010, 20:13   #1001
Senior - BHPian

Got my SatNav card today but the Garmin will come only next month end .
Arrggghh the wait is going to kill me !!
Old 27th May 2010, 22:52   #1002
evo
BHPian

Have driven about a 1000 KM in the past one week with the GPS and I`m fully smitten. Ofcourse its not accurate, (it asked me to drive into the Wards Lake in Shillong) , it doesnt have all the roads and has some non existent POI (Hyatt at Guwahati anyone?), but all in all, its killer.
Old 28th May 2010, 11:31   #1003
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
...some non existent POI (Hyatt at Guwahati anyone...
You bring in a very important point. For a multilingual country like ours, accents and dialects play a lot on how we spell, write and pronounce names.

If a south Indian scribe writes the POI then most probably he would write "Bharat Nagar" as "Bharath Nagar", "Maruti Mandir" as "Maruthi Mandir". "Dhruv Palace" in Bengal will become "Dhruvo Palace", Vashi will be written as "Bhasi". Most north Biharis, will be called as Zha or Shah or Sha and never Jha in Maharashtra . Imagine a Kanpurian looking for a "Maruti Mandir" in Delhi on a map drafted by a vernacular chap from Andhra. In this case it was probably a "Haat" (हाट) in Guwahati entered as Hyatt by a senior school pass-out from some convent in Mumbai.

I have noticed that, bad spellings of POIs kill all the fun of searching in a GPS map. I have used Satnav and Navteq maps. Unless we have some kind of Soundex algorithm implemented in the device OS, searching is going to remain a big challenge. Again, how do you find "Bangalore" if "Bengaluru" was saved .

-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 28th May 2010 at 11:46. Reason: minor corrections
Old 28th May 2010, 12:15   #1004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
Have driven about a 1000 KM in the past one week with the GPS and I`m fully smitten. Ofcourse its not accurate, (it asked me to drive into the Wards Lake in Shillong) , it doesnt have all the roads and has some non existent POI (Hyatt at Guwahati anyone?), but all in all, its killer.
Man your maps are future compatible! Hyatt is shown as a "proposed" hotel. I have no idea how far long that proposal has come to being a reality though.

Hyatt Hotel Guwahati Guwahati
Old 31st May 2010, 20:45   #1005
BHPian

I have ordered a RoadPilot yesterday and am expecting it on Wednesday. Has any one used Google Maps with any MMI device ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks