Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2010, 20:53   #1006
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
I agree - best part about Google Maps is that they might not show a road that exists (usually interiors) but as far as my experience goes, does not show a road that does not exist - scores good on reliability. I am waiting for the day when I can host Google Maps on my Garmin
Well google is getting better all the time, but they _can_ show roads which don't exist. I had posted this earlier on this or another GPS related thread -
in 2007 I took a road shown by Google in Goa (near Margao) to connect upto another road as a shortcut (near the industrial belt), and after travelling 4-5 kms, the road disappeared into the fields and that was that. Took an U-turn and headed back to NH17..
Old 1st June 2010, 12:29   #1007
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhamAT View Post
Has any one used Google Maps with any MMI device ?
As far as I know, Google Maps are not available for any of the currently available PNDs (including Garmin). Experts can correct me if I am wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Well google is getting better all the time, but they _can_ show roads which don't exist.
Agreed - but such instances are very rare compared to say MMI or SatNav.

Last edited by cool_dube : 1st June 2010 at 12:32.
Old 3rd June 2010, 21:27   #1008
BHPian

If MGMaps can run, then google maps can be loaded. I am also on the lookout for PND's that can run MGMaps to host google/yahoo maps.

Perhaps any device that is java-enabled can run MGMaps. I do not know which ones are, but I am assuming that WInCE devices can be java-enabled.

Prajwal
Old 4th June 2010, 23:53   #1009
Senior - BHPian

My Garmin is here

My Garmin Nuvi 205W was delivered today. I am quite happy with 20north.com - they delivered in 16 calendar days, well within the committed 21-28 days window. Will go in for SatNav maps in all probability given the cost factor.
Old 5th June 2010, 00:10   #1010
Senior - BHPian

I have a Garmin 705 and have both Mapmyindia Garmin map (Rs7000/-) and Satguide Garmin Map (special price Rs1000). The Mapmyindia is definitely better but maybe not worth all tha tmuch more.
Old 6th June 2010, 05:25   #1011
BHPian

How are the SatGuide maps for highways? Apart from the regular NH and SH roads, does it have the smaller country roads mapped out? How does it compare to Google/Yahoo maps? What about map updates? How often do they update and how much do the updates cost?

I am contemplating on buying one soon and was looking for feedback on that.

Thanks

Prajwal
Old 6th June 2010, 09:35   #1012
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
How are the SatGuide maps for highways? Apart from the regular NH and SH roads, does it have the smaller country roads mapped out? How does it compare to Google/Yahoo maps? What about map updates? How often do they update and how much do the updates cost?

I am contemplating on buying one soon and was looking for feedback on that.

Thanks

Prajwal
Yes they are pretty exhaustive. Have been using for the last 10 months or so. Works very well. I dont use it in the city where I stay. Only take it for long drives/vacations.
Old 6th June 2010, 10:10   #1013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Yes they are pretty exhaustive. Have been using for the last 10 months or so. Works very well. I dont use it in the city where I stay. Only take it for long drives/vacations.
Ampere, which side of Banhalore have you used the maps? Samurai and i did not have such a good experience of satguide and mmi respectively on the bangalore magadi stretch.
Old 6th June 2010, 11:27   #1014
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore-Magadi and Bangalore-Mysore, either side of the highway, is very poorly mapped in all maps. Impossible to do route guidance there.
Old 6th June 2010, 13:27   #1015
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Ampere, which side of Banhalore have you used the maps? Samurai and i did not have such a good experience of satguide and mmi respectively on the bangalore magadi stretch.
Amit,

Thats what I mentioned. I have NOT used it in the city. Only for the highways. Also never did a heavy stress test, where you need to find out a way and you depend on it solely.

Only occasions, I used it were :
Tried to find places in Mysore/Chennai etc and it worked.
Once I used it in South Bangalore and it helped come out of the place.

NH207 is not at all Marked etc. But on the whole, I find it to be a useful companion.
Old 6th June 2010, 20:28   #1016
BHPian

Garmin 285Wt + satguide maps

Hey all, I have finally received my Garmin Device last week. Thought of immediately writing a review however then changed my mind and decided to write it after use.

So the device is superb. I got it a deal, since it had MSN updates features which is to be discontinued in 2012, Garmin discontinued the device and hence I got a deal. $119 for a wide screen with bluetooth feature. Its seriously worth the money I have paid. Acquires satellite quickly and ready to go. Recalculations is quick too ! I am happy with the device

Now coming to the maps. I bought Satguide maps recently. I am slightly disappointed with it, though its is too much to ask for Rs.990 however it misses out significant portion of Navi Mumbai. My town Airoli is totally missing on it plus its not so detailed with other places in Navi Mumbai, just knows very very know places and not all roads. I expected it to cover Major cities and its satellite towns really well. Navi Mumbai is not so small a place I guess to miss out. Its not just that, Borivali East is missing . Now this is something I was really shocked to find. First I tried to find my house, it was missing so I went ahead to search my in laws place. That is missing too. It actually left me disappointed. Called up their call center and Raja confirmed both the places are missing.

Guys have you faced the same problem? I kinda lost trust on the device, I mean if maps not detailed then my garmin device also cannot calculate the way, there is possibility of loosing out on way !

Please do let me know whats your thought on it ?
Old 6th June 2010, 20:57   #1017
Senior - BHPian

Map options for PND users in India

Guys,

With PNDs becoming increasing popular in India, what are the options that PND users have when it comes to maps? Is it only MMI and SatNav that we can choose from?

PS - Ordered SatNav maps for my Garmin yesterday. Expected delivery is tomorrrow.
Old 6th June 2010, 21:06   #1018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailmishra View Post
So the device is superb...

I bought Satguide maps recently....
mailmishra - no other PND comes even close to Garmin when it comes to sheer quality and usability. Coming to the maps, have you tried locating these missing places in MMI maps?
Old 6th June 2010, 21:23   #1019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Based on the site, just installed the maps in Mapsource.
Hi,
For installing on Mapsource, did you us GMapTool? Reason for asking is that both AVG and McAfee are reporting a trojan. One false positive I can understand, but two!

And which version of Mapsource? Actually it would be great if you posted step by step instructions on how you installed the maps in mapsource.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 6th June 2010, 23:10   #1020
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
For installing on Mapsource, did you us GMapTool? Reason for asking is that both AVG and McAfee are reporting a trojan. One false positive I can understand, but two!

And which version of Mapsource? Actually it would be great if you posted step by step instructions on how you installed the maps in mapsource.

Regards
Sutripta
Open Street Maps is easy. It comes with its own installer, that directly does the job.
When you open map source, you would see the map installed after you run the installer.

But for Satguide/MMI maps, its more tricky. First you need to break the binary map data
provided by Satguide so that it becomes readable and then you need to install it in Map source along
with the unlock code such that you can see the map in Mapsource.

NetFreakBombay is the one you need to ask questions. He helped me originally to set the whole thing up.

Most Viewed