Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2010, 16:05   #1171
BANNED

Agreed. That is why I say forget the T part of Garmin units.
Old 16th August 2010, 16:58   #1172
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The problem with proprietary is that you are locked into whatever they dish out. Also, if they indeed are el-cheapo Chinese stuff then the durability may be questionable. Rebadging makes sience since the incremental cost of software is nearly nil. So you can buy in bulk, and bundle your software with it at a lower price. 90%+ of the users will never realise what they have, so you have then in your pocket.
What is meant by locked into here?
Old 16th August 2010, 17:29   #1173
Senior - BHPian

It might sound as a dumb question anyways I wanted to buy a GPS navigation system, however I wanted to know how good are the Mobile phone based GPS say a Nokia 5230 compared to a dedicated GPS equipment like Garmin.

Does Mobile phone pickup signals directly from GPS satellite or works through Mobile tower via GPRS service? Is it worth it to go in for a GPS phone or should I go for a pure GPS equipment? I will be basically using it for city navigation.

It will be great if someone on clarify my doubts.
Old 16th August 2010, 17:38   #1174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
It might sound as a dumb question anyways I wanted to buy a GPS navigation system, however I wanted to know how good are the Mobile phone based GPS say a Nokia 5230 compared to a dedicated GPS equipment like Garmin.

Does Mobile phone pickup signals directly from GPS satellite or works through Mobile tower via GPRS service? Is it worth it to go in for a GPS phone or should I go for a pure GPS equipment? I will be basically using it for city navigation.

For city based navigation, a phone should be fine. Nokia maps are quite detailed for city use, atleast here in bangalore. Similarly a blackberry or a HTC ( android ) phone also will provide quite good navigation for cities.

In addition to navigation, a dedicated GPS device will allow you to record your tracks, add waypoints, or points of interest, record your trip details like route, kms, speed ( min,max, avg ), helps calculate fuel efficiency etc.,
Old 16th August 2010, 18:11   #1175
BHPian

Hi
Just went through the specs for MMI LX130 and VX140. I am somehow inclined to go for the LX130. It provides all the basic features and seems to be a handy device.

Has anyone used the LX130? Is it worth a buy? It certainly comes at an attractive price. Almost 3K less than the VX140.

Last edited by ptushar : 16th August 2010 at 18:12. Reason: typo
Old 16th August 2010, 18:20   #1176
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I guess the main point to note is that the GPS systems for automobiles have bigger display as compared to phone. Theoretically you can buy MMI maps for you mobile phone and use it. Since screen is small, it would be difficult to view the same.
Old 16th August 2010, 19:46   #1177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have both Nokia5230 and a Garmin unit with Satnav maps. Infact I was not planning to buy a GPS enabled mobile but ended up doing only because I could not wait till my Garmin was delivered to me from US.

Now I have Satnav maps on Garmin, Ovi and google maps on Nokia. Few points that I would like to share before you end up deciding either on a GPS enabled mobile or a dedicated car navigation GPS.

1. Mobile GPS will always use bandwidth with the maps, and on the other hand a dedicated car gps would work even if there is no cell cignal. Obviously both have to be connected with satellite.

2. Since GPS on a mobile is not dedicated (mobile performs other functions too) the battery life takes a big hit. So you might end up not having enough battery for calling/ messaging/ receiving calls. And I believe those should be the primary functions of a phone anyway.

3. Nokia and a few other phones offer free navigation for life. So you will be able to download free google maps/ ovi maps on your phone whereas on the other hand you will have to pay for maps with a car GPS. Apart from that they charge for upgrades too.

4. Obviously the car GPS systems come with bigger screen as compared to phone GPS. And believe me thats a big plus

5. I think if its within your own city, you would not require a gps system at all for maps. Like me, I used my Garmin for 2 days and packed it to be used when I go to a different city
Old 17th August 2010, 05:45   #1178
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
Hi
Just went through the specs for MMI LX130 and VX140. I am somehow inclined to go for the LX130. It provides all the basic features and seems to be a handy device.

Has anyone used the LX130? Is it worth a buy? It certainly comes at an attractive price. Almost 3K less than the VX140.
I am satisfied with my MMI Lx130.

But, MMI website says Lx130 is out of stock. Please check this:

Buy MapmyIndia Navigator : GPS Navigation in India | Portable Navigation Device (PND) with India's best maps

You can go in for Road Pilot that costs [Rs 7990 onwards] less than Lx130.

Old 17th August 2010, 09:21   #1179
BANNED

@deky: On the button. You need GPS for two places. When in unfamiliar territory, or going to a new place, or when you meet a major diversion/ The city maps are needed when going to a new place.
Old 17th August 2010, 09:42   #1180
BHPian

Bargaining pays

Guys, if you are planning to buy a GPS from either MMI or SatGuide, dont hesitate to bargain. Both of them will agree to discounts in the range of 500-2000 depending on the model. For example, on the SatGuide Moov 560, I got a quote of Rs 13500. I think the selling price (not MRP, mind you, which is even higher) was around Rs 15500. MMI also agreed on a Rs 1500 rebate on the Vx240 MRP. SatGuide seems to undercut MMI on rebate.
Old 17th August 2010, 10:32   #1181
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicsense View Post
Guys, if you are planning to buy a GPS from either MMI or SatGuide, dont hesitate to bargain. Both of them will agree to discounts in the range of 500-2000 depending on the model. For example, on the SatGuide Moov 560, I got a quote of Rs 13500. I think the selling price (not MRP, mind you, which is even higher) was around Rs 15500. MMI also agreed on a Rs 1500 rebate on the Vx240 MRP. SatGuide seems to undercut MMI on rebate.
Another thing I would suggest, if you can lay your hands on a GPS from Amazon, it would be really worth it. For the price range quoted in MMI/Satguide, you can easily get a Nuvi device (205W now cost 90$ only).
Old 17th August 2010, 10:48   #1182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@deky: On the button. You need GPS for two places. When in unfamiliar territory, or going to a new place, or when you meet a major diversion/ The city maps are needed when going to a new place.
Totally agree with you there Sir. Thats why I said I have packed my gps unit as of now and will only come out when I am going to a different city.

Jaipur is not that big a city and I am staying here for last 30 years, so I know the "better" "faster" more "fuel economical" routes better than the gps. At the end of the day there is no point of the gps system being an invitation for car breakers to smash my windscreen, hence decided to pack it for now.
Old 17th August 2010, 11:26   #1183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I am satisfied with my MMI Lx130.

But, MMI website says Lx130 is out of stock. Please check this:

Buy MapmyIndia Navigator : GPS Navigation in India | Portable Navigation Device (PND) with India's best maps

You can go in for Road Pilot that costs [Rs 7990 onwards] less than Lx130.
Am getting LX130 in a local store. I liked the model since it is small, light and can be carried in your pocket conviniently. Although I am yet to figure out why I will need to carry a PND in my pocket.

Another question, just checked the MMI site and they have upgraded their maps to v5.0, while what I am getting from the dealer on the LX130 is v3.0. Any clue on what will be difference between v5 and v3? Is it worth going directly for v5?
Old 17th August 2010, 23:57   #1184
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to get a GPS unit from MMI. Is the TravelPilot Lucca a good choice over the Road Pilot which looks basic and is smaller? Price difference is 2K, but comes with larger screen and some fancy music and pics options. Is 2K additional, worth it?

Hope the maps will be identical.
Old 18th August 2010, 00:12   #1185
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
I am planning to get a GPS unit from MMI. Is the TravelPilot Lucca a good choice over the Road Pilot which looks basic and is smaller? Price difference is 2K, but comes with larger screen and some fancy music and pics options. Is 2K additional, worth it?

Hope the maps will be identical.
Can you get your hands on Garmin device from Amazon and get some one to carry it for you? If yes, that is the best!

By the way today I saw MMI and Satguide devices being sold at Landmark in Bangalore. You can call them up in Chennai and ask.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks