Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2009, 15:33   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisarg86 View Post
I am getting Sirf star III USB GPS Receiver. Amazon.com: GlobalSat BU-353 WaterProof USB GPS Receiver (SiRF Star III): Electronics
How can I run this thing with MMI or satnav on Windows XP ?
There are desktop satnav applications but I am not sure if there are any for which you can get Indian maps. MS Autoroute can be used but there is probably no mapping for india. Co-Pilot Live Laptop (again mapping will be a problem).

If you have not already ordered then consider a bluetooth receiver.

Last edited by bigman : 22nd January 2009 at 15:39.
Old 22nd January 2009, 16:15   #107
BHPian

Already Ordered. :(
Leave aside those MMI and Satnav. will google earth or destinator work with it ?
The reason i ordered particular this one is waterproof and mountable on car roof. I am going to use it with car pc.
Old 25th January 2009, 00:09   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Hai RKB,

Right on on that, mine is a HTC P 3400, no GPS built in. Its much faster as it runs on WB 5, higher HTC models run on SB6 which zaps the ram and makes it very slow.

All models with GPS after 2007 come with SIRF III chipset which is 3 times faster than the old chipset. So that being a given on most sets; it's the loop-up angle of the set with clear sky to at least 3 satellites that would decide the lock in time. I read somewhere, SIRF III can theoretically lock into more than 16 satellites on a clear day.

--Ramky
======
Hi Ramky,

I hoped to put together GPS capability before my next big outing but I ran into issues. Please, can you help?

I just bought an HTC 3400i and a separate SatGuide installer CD. The dealer explained to me that he has sold me the "Laptop" version of SatGuide with a lifetime GPS subscription, and that I should install SatGuide to my laptop and then install to my 3400i via ActiveSync. SatGuide got installed to my laptop, but I can't get it to install to 3400i. ActiveSync simply says it can't find any app that is suitable for 3400i. What went wrong?

Thanks,
Chirantan
Old 25th January 2009, 10:03   #109
Senior - BHPian

Chirantan,

This is very intriguing. I've been using GPS for the last 4 years and never paid anything as subscription. This has me stumped. Could you explain a bit more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirantanaranya View Post

I just bought an HTC 3400i and a separate SatGuide installer CD. The dealer explained to me that he has sold me the "Laptop" version of SatGuide with a lifetime GPS subscription, and that I should install SatGuide to my laptop and then install to my 3400i via ActiveSync.

Thanks,
Chirantan
Old 25th January 2009, 10:32   #110
Team-BHP Support

I think maybe he meant lifetime free map upgrade subscription....
Old 26th January 2009, 00:49   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirantanaranya View Post
Hi Ramky,

I hoped to put together GPS capability before my next big outing but I ran into issues. Please, can you help?

I just bought an HTC 3400i and a separate SatGuide installer CD. The dealer explained to me that he has sold me the "Laptop" version of SatGuide with a lifetime GPS subscription, and that I should install SatGuide to my laptop and then install to my 3400i via ActiveSync. SatGuide got installed to my laptop, but I can't get it to install to 3400i. ActiveSync simply says it can't find any app that is suitable for 3400i. What went wrong?

Thanks,
Chirantan
Hai Chirantan,

I accidentally deleted all satguide maps recently, talked to them and they sent me a link from where I had to download software to my laptop and thro activy sync re-installed it into my mem card on HTC 3400, no problems.

The licence key and activation key was also given by them AGAIN, so see if that is the glitch.

I am confused with this "Laptop" version, never heard of it, dealers may not be technically adequate.

Would strongly suggest you speak to Babu, gives excellent telephone support, or will point you to a solution.

Shoban Babu T, Regional Sales Head-South, SatNav Technologies Pvt. Ltd., Mobile, +91 96111 10421 , 040-6677 7333 Ext: 339/353, Fax: 040-6668 7333, shoban@satnavtech.com

From what rkg says, even Satguide is not upto date and needs improvement. On my recent GQdrive, I found the map accurate on GQ up to Agra and from there many of the BP's were missing, looks like they have too update most BP's from Orissa till Chennai. On cities where I have used it, I found it to be a life saver to track points. How I wish there's a way to record your route on Satguide.

@GD1418: Does that mean that the original software you have on your rig is not updated or are you gettin free updates?

Ramky
====

Last edited by ramkya1 : 26th January 2009 at 00:53.
Old 28th January 2009, 15:03   #112
BHPian

Guys satguide provides Maps and Navigation for Laptops / Desktops.
Map Navigation Software India | Car Navigation | GPS Laptop software
Old 28th January 2009, 17:47   #113
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

People using MapMyIndia navigation software:

Can you see the licence code / number in the software?
Old 28th January 2009, 22:25   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

People using MapMyIndia navigation software:

Can you see the licence code / number in the software?
I am using symbian wayfinder map my india inav loaded software on my nokia n 95 8 gb . I can see the license key number together with expiry date 25.09.2020 and also data source listed as mapmyindia.
Old 29th January 2009, 12:33   #115
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask77 View Post
I am using symbian wayfinder map my india inav loaded software on my nokia n 95 8 gb . I can see the license key number together with expiry date 25.09.2020 and also data source listed as mapmyindia.
Thanks for that.

I have the software in a Holux device bought from ebay. Though the software works, I have a doubt whether the software is indeed a legal one.

One more query, where do you see the license key? And if it is possible to put a picture of the same!

Even in this area, the navigation seems to be good. But the interface and ease of use should have been much much better.
Old 30th January 2009, 21:56   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
I have Satguide's Voxtel 430.
here are some initial impressions
It is reasonable accurate ( upto 90 % or more) within city( Bangalore)
Highway use --------- One word USELESS
Coverage is too poor.
as usual no option to record the route.
Bought an Asus P527 mobile with Windows Mobile 6.1 and bundled SatGuide maps and licence. Tried it out in Delhi a few times, seems accurate, but feeding the destination in is a fiddly affair. Once it insisted on sending me to a destination via Connaught Place while I wanted a shorter route via Ring Road. Otherwise works ok. Haven't test driven it on the highways yet. Will report back once I do.
Attached Thumbnails
The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-asus527.jpg  

Old 1st February 2009, 10:39   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

First problem with Asus P527

My first roadblock with the SatGuide navigation. The map does not have "Ghitorni" as an option in its Delhi map - this is a fairly big village with a busy shopping area and a BSF camp in it, and SatGuide refused to locate it for me.
Old 1st February 2009, 20:12   #118
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
My first roadblock with the SatGuide navigation. The map does not have "Ghitorni" as an option in its Delhi map - this is a fairly big village with a busy shopping area and a BSF camp in it, and SatGuide refused to locate it for me.
Ghitorni Village is marked under New Delhi/Ghitorni Village in the MapMyIndia Naviagator. Under it, Ghitorni Village and Mehrauli Gurgaon Road (Anuvrat Marg) are marked as localities.
Old 18th February 2009, 07:16   #119
BANNED

Map my India is pretty shitty

on first impressions at least.

Just got this yesterday and its pretty shitty. It does not recognize even common addresses, and does not show the names of the roads other than the one you are on. I think the mgmaps solution is better except that mapamyindia gives voice directions [not great ones though]. And no point in the directions if you cant key in your destination properly.

Let me see how this behaves in a few more drives.
Old 18th February 2009, 11:35   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
One more query, where do you see the license key? And if it is possible to put a picture of the same!..
@trrk, I'm using iNavLoaded from Mapmyindia on my E90. I can see the License Key & expiry date by selecting Select > About Product

I agree with you about the interface and the usability -- could have been much much better.

Most Viewed