Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2010, 08:40   #1321
BHPian

I did a search for route from Bangalore to Shivanasamudra falls on both SatNav and MMI.
Both showed similar routes.
MMI showed more details about the villages on the route whereas SatNav just showed those places as Bangalore rural.
I did a couple of other searches as well and found that the detailing of places in MMI was much better than SatNav.
I also checked similar routes on google maps and found that MMI and google maps were almost in sync whereas SatNav just showed places as rural and absolutely no detail.
This could be one reason why the garmin maps for MMI is Rs. 7000 whereas SatNav is Rs 990.
Old 15th September 2010, 08:48   #1322
Team-BHP Support

When MMI or satguide sell you the maps, the SD card will also contain the software I think, not just the map file
Old 15th September 2010, 09:28   #1323
Team-BHP Support

The SD card contains only IMG file and the unlock code.
You need to use Mapsource (PC) or Roadtrip (Mac) to install these maps on to the computer. This process is not officially supported. You need to find your own method.

I checked my Satguide maps. Mekedatu, Shivasamudaram are marked in the maps and so are the villages en-route.

Here is a snap of the route as routed by Mapsource on Satguide maps. I have chosen an arbitrary point on NH209 (Kanakpura road to Shivasamundaram).

The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-ss.jpg
Old 15th September 2010, 09:52   #1324
BANNED

There can be examples whichever way. I wanted to find a way to a resort on the Delhi-Jaipur highway NH8. For me NH2 to Palwal, then NH718 and finally NH8 was much shorter. I wanted to locate Khijuri Village in Distt Dharuhera of Haryana. Drew a blank on Google / wikimaps. However, was able to find the route to the village on Satnav! Do not have MMI so did not try that.
Old 15th September 2010, 10:16   #1325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
^^ Saar I have a Garmin Nuvi 1300 series. ...
It should work in India with SatGuide India maps. Buy the SatGuide Garmin format map on an SD Card. If your unit has an SD card slot, it is just a matter of putting it into the slot. If not, you can copy the gmapsupp.img and gmapsupp.unl files into the root directory of the unit (via USB connection).
Old 15th September 2010, 11:28   #1326
BANNED

@DerAlte: Thanks for the info. May be faster than the SD card slot!
Old 15th September 2010, 11:32   #1327
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The SD card contains only IMG file and the unlock code.
You need to use Mapsource (PC) or Roadtrip (Mac) to install these maps on to the computer. This process is not officially supported. You need to find your own method.

I checked my Satguide maps. Mekedatu, Shivasamudaram are marked in the maps and so are the villages en-route.

Here is a snap of the route as routed by Mapsource on Satguide maps. I have chosen an arbitrary point on NH209 (Kanakpura road to Shivasamundaram).

Attachment 423945
Ampere, you are taking about Garmin Map. That comes only in IMG. I am talking about Satguide destinator software. AFAIK, it comes with software and map.
Old 15th September 2010, 12:04   #1328
BHPian

Trying to get a Garmin from US. I have in mind 265W, 1490, 3790.

I like the dual orientation and sleekness of 3790;but its costly. Do we get 3D maps from SatGuide/MMI (?) in order to utilize 3790's 3D view.

Most probably will go for 1490 (5"). Any comments/ suggestions please...
Old 15th September 2010, 12:08   #1329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
^^ Saar I have a Garmin Nuvi 1300 series. The website says some 200 and 768 series will only work in India. Is there a way to make the 1300 work as well ? Please let me know.
Also check if the 1300 series has the SD card slot or microSD card slot.

I think 1300 series should work just fine in India.
Old 15th September 2010, 12:15   #1330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
...you can copy the gmapsupp.img and gmapsupp.unl...
AFAIK, Satguide folks have become smarter now. Just copying these files do not work anymore- Garmin does not load the map saying "Can not unlock maps". I got the Satguide India map on a micro SD in the 1st week of September. The original microSD works fine in my nuvi 760. However, I tried to create a backup on a different SD card (copying both .img and .unl files) and use that in Garmin- it complained that it cannot unlock the (copied) map. Figured out that .unl/.img files are locked with the hardware id of the original Micro SD card and simply copying the files will not work. Didn't try to break their security as i have a legitimate copy and respect their licensing/selling rights .

-BJ
Old 15th September 2010, 12:24   #1331
Senior - BHPian

You are supposed to get the unlock code, which is the data present in the *.UNL file. To get the unlock code, you will have to have the device ID.

The unlock code, as mentioned by BJ, is a key generated based on the device ID, so just copy-pasting wont work.
Old 15th September 2010, 12:57   #1332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
...The unlock code, as mentioned by BJ, is a key generated based on the device ID...
@HW, by "device id" do you mean my Garmin unit ID? I never told them any information about Garmin Nuvi nor did they ask for it.

I think they are using the hardware serial ID (unique for the memory card- check section 3.11 in this link http://ohm.bu.edu/~hazen/DataSheets/MicroSD/micro%20SD.pdf) to program the map unlock code. Probably thats the reason they are insisting to distribute maps on a microSD card these days. Therefore, copying/pasting the entire Satguide OEM microSD card onto a new card (different CID) does not load in my Garmin Nuvi.

This googled link talks something similar: http://www.noeman.org/gsm/garmin-map...tml#post590738

-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 15th September 2010 at 13:03. Reason: added a web link to CID locking mechanism
Old 15th September 2010, 13:00   #1333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
You are supposed to get the unlock code, which is the data present in the *.UNL file. To get the unlock code, you will have to have the device ID.

The unlock code, as mentioned by BJ, is a key generated based on the device ID, so just copy-pasting wont work.
true. when Asus changed the motherboard of my phone to rectify some other problems, the device id changed. as a result that same unlock code wouldn't work on my sat nav. when i called up their helpline, they told me that since the device id is different, i need to get the key regenerated, for which i was charged 300 bucks. entering the new device id and the new key, i was able to login to satnav easily.
Old 15th September 2010, 13:20   #1334
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Ampere, you are taking about Garmin Map. That comes only in IMG. I am talking about Satguide destinator software. AFAIK, it comes with software and map.
OK that makes it clear. I am not sure when you order maps do you also get destinator. But yes if you order maps for PC, it may come with some software. I do not know about that.
Old 15th September 2010, 14:23   #1335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
@HW, by "device id" do you mean my Garmin unit ID? I never told them any information about Garmin Nuvi nor did they ask for it...
@BJ: I was not aware of the ID being present for the memory card and the maps linked to that. Learnt something new today. Thanks for sharing the link.

But yes, I was refering to the units ID, since I had to provide my HTC's ID for unlocking the garmin maps. I had the maps installed on my PPC's memory card.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks