Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2008, 16:42   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Well, that can happen depending on what your preference is for font size and depending on eyesight/power etc. For me, the Google maps size is quite fine and I have used it extensively. In some cases, I just zoom in one level more for more detail/bigger size.
Cheers,
well i am wearing my specs and the font size in windows preferences is largest. Unfortunately the windows preferences font size does not affect the google maps font at all. It only affects sms/email font on the htc diamond. And zooming in does not help as the font size remains the same small one. Note that I am talking about landmarks - the major road names (yellow roads) can be easily read
Old 31st December 2008, 10:08   #77
BANNED

In mapmyindia website they have the following at varying prices - any idea what the differences are?

INav Connect
INav Loaded
Inav Loaded WF

Also is the BT GPS receiver that they are selling decent and will it work OK with my Nokia e61i?

Thanks.

OK found the difference - but they claim that Inav Loaded is a one time cost - so what about map updates?

Last edited by deepakvrao : 31st December 2008 at 10:16.
Old 31st December 2008, 11:46   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakvrao View Post
OK found the difference - but they claim that Inav Loaded is a one time cost - so what about map updates?
I have Inav loaded and was promised lifetime map updates I bought it in sept 2008 you should confirm when buying I am uaing Nokia n95 8gb
Old 31st December 2008, 15:19   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

The MapMyIndia product range is getting confusing. At least now one of the navigation units has a bigger screen, which sets it ahead of the others. Maybe I'll buy this year!

This different software packages for mobile --- I wish they would have a comparison page! WF? --- Maybe they left the T out!
Old 31st December 2008, 17:08   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
WF? --- Maybe they left the T out!

Quote:
I wish they would have a comparison page!
There is a comparison page. Loaded vs Connect. The WF is for symbian phones and the other type is for Windows mobile..

But who has more detailed maps Mapmyindia or SatNav..
Old 31st December 2008, 21:01   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

OK... I don't think I spotted that when I last visited their site a few days ago, but what about comparing Loaded and LoadedWF?
Old 2nd January 2009, 07:46   #82
BANNED

Quote:
OK... I don't think I spotted that when I last visited their site a few days ago, but what about comparing Loaded and LoadedWF?

LoadedWF is for Symbian and the other is for Windows. Connect has no off line maps so will only work with a GPRS connection.

But finally - which is better mapmyindia? or Satnav?
Old 2nd January 2009, 08:37   #83
BANNED

Also why are acquisition times so long? 3 min? What I have [TT] and use in Europe/US fixes in less than a minute without fail. Even from a cold start.
Old 2nd January 2009, 23:48   #84

MapMyIndia Rip-Off

My PDA (Windows Mobile operating system) runs the Mapmyindia Destinator software with All India Maps, but it freezes frequently, claiming that the PDA is low on memory.

I would like to buy the Mapmyindia software for my Windows CE device (I no longer need UK Satellite Navigation), but Mapmyindia refuse to sell the Win CE software on its own - they will only sell the software for Windows Mobile OS.

The software they sell costs approx. Rs.3500, but the Win CE devices they sell at Rs.22,990/- are hugely overpriced.

I can buy a superior device for Rs.3500/- so they should be charging about Rs.7000/- for the device with software - and why won't they sell the Win CE software on its own?

How can Mapmyindia justify their rip-off prices for the hardware?
Old 3rd January 2009, 13:04   #85
BHPian

John I totally agree with you. MMI device is a rip off for that money. They dont sell the software but perhaps that option will open with time and then we will have the choice of buying our own PND from abroad / ebay etc. and use it at a fraction of the cost.

Between MMI has launched their latest maps with 202 cities with an entirely different UI. Its quite like Google maps (drop the pin type). I got the updated SD card for my friend yesterday from MMI's office and we couldnt understand a thing in half an hour we spent in exploring the new UI.
Old 3rd January 2009, 23:10   #86
BHPian

John How much does an all india map take in terms of storage capacity.
Old 3rd January 2009, 23:31   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobinjv View Post
John How much does an all india map take in terms of storage capacity.
The software and all India maps are on a 2GB SD card - and I also have TomTom Western Europe satnav on the same card.

The PDA phone device is an SPV M2000 with an Intel PXA263 CPU running at 400MHz. The OS is Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition, which probably explains why it doesn't run the Mapmyindia software reliably.
Old 10th January 2009, 16:33   #88
Senior - BHPian

I have just had a play with miomap s/w with the latest india map installed on my Kaiser. I have played with various other satnav s/w including mapking, mapmyindia (& inav) and destinator. So far these maps appear very detailed. I tried typing some village names in and it picked them up fine (even mapmyindia doe snot have these villages in its DB).

It would be good to see how well this performs on the ground. If anyone wants more info then drop me a PM.
Old 11th January 2009, 01:18   #89
BHPian

is miomap available in symbian format ?
Old 11th January 2009, 02:11   #90
Senior - BHPian

Never heard of miomap being available for symbian. There is a lot more satnav choice if you have a device running windows mobile.

Most Viewed