Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2009, 17:45   #211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
At the cost of being repetitive (NFB and some others have heard it from me on another thread), a fundu Garmin Nuvi widescreen (205w) can be had for just about INR 7k equivalent in US. I got one recently through this route.

Finally, Satguide has released its latest maps which I guess is the 404 cities map they told us about when we went to their office last month.
I can have the piece picked up from the US. Garmin Nuvi widescreen(205w). Is this the exact model number. Or can you specify(brand & model no) an equivalent or better option.
Where do i get the India maps from after I import the device from the US? How much will the maps cost?

Thanks.
Old 9th September 2009, 19:31   #212
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
I can have the piece picked up from the US. Garmin Nuvi widescreen(205w). Is this the exact model number. Or can you specify(brand & model no) an equivalent or better option.
Where do i get the India maps from after I import the device from the US? How much will the maps cost?

Thanks.
Yes jay, You got it right. Its Garmin Nuvi 205w. Remember that w is important. If you miss that w you will still get a Garmin Nuvi but with the regular sized screeen which I personally find pathetic. w is for Widescreen.

You can have this same model still cheaper if you have a US credit card. Pick it up from PC Richards and Sons. They retail it for around $139. Only hitch is they do not accept international credit cards.

I do not know what you mean by better option. However, if TTS is something you dig you may also buy Nuvi 255w. It should cost around $165 in US. Personally I think TTS is wasted in India unless the voices are Indian. Till then even a Buvi 205w is fine.

You can get very detailed India maps from Satguide. They charge you only 2150 odd rupees and send the maps in a 2GB SD Card inclusive of all charges.

And alternate option in Maps is MMI. However they are just too pricey for what they offer.
Old 10th September 2009, 00:09   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
Are there any Windows (XP/Win7) based navigation software other than Mireo ViaGPS that can run maps from Map My India (MMI)?

I'm so sick of the Mireo ViaGPS Black Edition which crashes the moment I start driving.
There is a version of Garmin XT for the PC. The Garmin India maps load up fine on it.
Old 10th September 2009, 08:27   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Yes jay, You got it right. Its Garmin Nuvi 205w. Remember that w is important. If you miss that w you will still get a Garmin Nuvi but with the regular sized screeen which I personally find pathetic. w is for Widescreen.

You can have this same model still cheaper if you have a US credit card. Pick it up from PC Richards and Sons. They retail it for around $139. Only hitch is they do not accept international credit cards.

You can get very detailed India maps from Satguide. They charge you only 2150 odd rupees and send the maps in a 2GB SD Card inclusive of all charges.
Thanks for those info Zappo
Even im trying to get the same from US. is there any store that you recommend which accepts international credit card?
Old 10th September 2009, 11:12   #215
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the info Zappo. I will most likely go for the non TTS.
Old 10th September 2009, 11:43   #216
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Zappo. Me too getting a Garmin w from the US
Old 10th September 2009, 14:29   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anainar View Post
Funnily the POI file size has decreased from 63MB to 45 MB and I was curious to know if they have added more POIs how did the size come down. For which the support guy promptly called on my mobile and explained that they used some compression technique to reduce the file size.
Ahhh, thanks for explaining. I noticed this too & was wondering what the heck was going on! The current maps have a few more roads added. However, some of the 2 year old roads are still missing
Old 10th September 2009, 17:14   #218
BHPian

Garmin Nuvi 255 W

Hi All,

Last month I picked up a Gramin Nuvi 255W from Dell.com and they accept international credit card. I had to call them and place the order over phone as the billing address and the shiping address had to be different. I found it to be reliable and got the delivery in US within 2 business days flat. Hope this information is helpful.
Old 10th September 2009, 17:24   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
There is a version of Garmin XT for the PC. The Garmin India maps load up fine on it.
Thanks bigman! I will give Garmin XT (PC) a try. I heard they use Map data from MMI but in their own format.
Old 10th September 2009, 18:18   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipta View Post
I picked up a Gramin Nuvi 255W from Dell.com
How much did you have to pay for this?
Old 10th September 2009, 20:08   #221
BHPian

I paid Rs. 7600 all included for the GArmin Nuvi 255W from Dell.com thru my credit card account. You know they charge extra of the forex.
Old 30th September 2009, 10:10   #222
BHPian

How about the offer of 9990/- on the MapMyIndia A-MAX 06GP5A device. Is it a good buy?
Old 1st October 2009, 09:42   #223
BHPian

MapMyIndia, Satnav for Windows Mobile 6.1 non touch screen

Does someone here have experience with either mapmyindia or satnav maps on a windows mobile 6.1 (Smartphone edition), the non touch version which uses a keyboard.(e.g. HTC snap/HTC S521 or an asus equivalent)

The blurb on the mapmyindia site mentions the need for a touchscreen, hence the query.

Thanks
Old 4th October 2009, 22:49   #224
BHPian

Garmin Nuvi 215 with MapMyIndia

Recently got a Garmin Nuvi 215 with MapMyIndia maps pre-loaded. Used it for a weeklong out-of-state trip. It was truly a lifesaver. Saved a lot of unwanted stops for directions. The technology (GPS i.e.) is amazing, the device is great and the maps not bad at all.

Noteworthy points -

-Quick satellite fixes (in the order of few seconds)
-Intuitive Garmin user interface
-Huge list of pre-loaded POIs (almost all my hotels, tourist spots were included)

-Can do with more road coverage. e.g. some of the state highways & mountain routes in Tamilnadu were missing
-Coverage of new developments on NH routes like NS corridor needs improvement. e.g. some of the new bypasses are missing so it tries to take you through the old route through the town/city.
-More map detail i.e. road names, town/village names, nearby POIs would be useful

Would definitey recommend Garmin & MapMyIndia.
Old 7th October 2009, 17:30   #225
Senior - BHPian

folks, i went through this thread (skimped would be more like it), but not sure if i could make up my mind on the best solution.

Device: Garmin nüvi 205W 4.3-Inch Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator : 136$ (~6400) from Amazon.

Maps: from Satguide or MapMyIndia? Are they compatible with this device? What is the cost? Someone mentioned 2200 from Satguide, but when i checked online they claim 7K.

I have an additional requirement - i would like to use the same device during short trips to US/Europe. Would it be as simple as carrying the device and downloading the relevant maps?

Any comparisons between Satguide and MapMyIndia?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks